NR North Dakota Rifle

I am sitting at 7 points myself and I accepted the fact that I will be retired when I hunt North Dakota and when I hunt there I will have a LOT of time to scout and a LOT of time to choose the buck I want.

Hopefully.

Last years wasnt too bad of a mule deer. i bow hunt Whitetail every year around where i live. I had thought about doing it opposite after drawing mule deer last year. Where i would rifle hunt whitetail and then bow hunt mule deer. The unit i bow hunt in is about a 2-5 year wait for a buck tag. We will see what i do next year with my dad getting up there in age to really get into some of these areas where i know the bigger ones are at he wouldn't be able to make it anymore especially if we have to wait another 8 years.
What a about getting a whitetail rifle tag in badlands where you usually hunt mulies ? Guessing you could draw every year or every other ? And bring your bow with for mulies at same time unless you’ve tagged out already

I am sitting at 7 points myself and I accepted the fact that I will be retired when I hunt North Dakota and when I hunt there I will have a LOT of time to scout and a LOT of time to choose the buck I want.

Hopefully.
definitely worth the wait!

What a about getting a whitetail rifle tag in badlands where you usually hunt mulies ? Guessing you could draw every year or every other ? And bring your bow with for mulies at same time unless you’ve tagged out already
They were hit super hard with EHD last year. We only saw a handful of whitetail one was a buck he was a small 3x3.

There are 180 people behind me and only 32 people in front of me. So Statistically speaking I should have my tag in about 10-15 years. I can cope with that as long as they don't eliminate NR tags all together. That would suck...

Unless your super young, it just doesn't make sense to even try to plan a trip to ND to hunt Mule deer with a rifle.

There are 180 people behind me and only 32 people in front of me. So Statistically speaking I should have my tag in about 10-15 years. I can cope with that as long as they don't eliminate NR tags all together. That would suck...

Unless your super young, it just doesn't make sense to even try to plan a trip to ND to hunt Mule deer with a rifle.
that is for your specific unit im guessing?

Like most places it isn't as good as it once was. Archery hunters have killed a pile of the nice bucks out west. We don't have units for the Archery tag so it gets pounded heavily all year. We had a rough winter not long ago that took out a lot of deer as well

Especially being a long wait, don't hold your breath on it nor have extremely high expectations. Fun hunt but it's tough unless you can get on private.

that is for your specific unit im guessing?

Yes that is for the specific unit that my wife and I are anticipating drawing.

Also by the time I draw that tag I believe the state will have limited archery hunters and the quality and amount of bucks will be significantly greater than what it is today. In 15 years that archery tag will be on a unit by unit draw for sure...

The hunt will happen likely around 2035 and potentially sooner because a few of these people in front of me who hold points will die/age out before they draw the tag. I have the odds of life on my side unless something catastrophic happens.

If I hadn't started getting points years ago there is no way I would even attempt it now unless I was in my early 20's as a non-resident.

Hopefully if they limit it to an archery draw they will allow me to use my points for that. I will be sitting good at that point.

Its all just my own speculation at this point though.

What really baffles me if the guys who wait that long and then go there and shoot a 130 type buck.....

Whatever blows their dress up I guess...

I'm holding out for something special after waiting for 20-30 years and having the time to hunt. I wont put my tag on anything less than 170" and I believe if I have the entire season that I'll find one.

Last edited:
ND gives a statewide mule deer tag to one lucky winner of a raffle, I believe they usually start selling them in Feb? They send me tickets because I’ve purchased in the past. Doesn’t matter if you’re res or nonres.

It’s through Mule Deer Foundation I believe, but the recipient of the raffle drawing may change year to year. I also may be confusing this with the statewide elk tag that they raffle too….and the statewide pronghorn tag…..

Regardless, another (albeit small) chance at a MD tag in ND

Also by the time I draw that tag I believe the state will have limited archery hunters and the quality and amount of bucks will be significantly greater than what it is today. In 15 years that archery tag will be on a unit by unit draw for sure...
I hope this is the case because I 100% agree it would help with big buck numbers and pressure. Right now there is nothing to combat archery hunters pressuring areas other than randomness. With how popular western hunting is now, it doesn't make sense to have zero limits in place to alleviate pressure in great areas for mule deer.

Can you currently hunt with a gun tag during the archery season? Wasn't sure if they split that or not.

If I drew my gun tag could I hunt with my bow? Yes or no? I cant say I even bothered to dig into it because I am so far away from drawing that I really didn't look into it.

Can you currently hunt with a gun tag during the archery season? Wasn't sure if they split that or not.

If I drew my gun tag could I hunt with my bow? Yes or no? I cant say I even bothered to dig into it because I am so far away from drawing that I really didn't look into it.
From reading the regs I would assume no. You can only use your bow during the gun season if you draw rifle.

ND gives a statewide mule deer tag to one lucky winner of a raffle, I believe they usually start selling them in Feb? They send me tickets because I’ve purchased in the past. Doesn’t matter if you’re res or nonres.

It’s through Mule Deer Foundation I believe, but the recipient of the raffle drawing may change year to year. I also may be confusing this with the statewide elk tag that they raffle too….and the statewide pronghorn tag…..

Regardless, another (albeit small) chance at a MD tag in ND
Nope you are correct, I help a lot with MDF in ND and we get a statewide tag every year.

RMEF gets an Elk tag as well every year.

There are rotating orgs that get an elk/deer tag for raffle as well. Usually sports teams/school organizations.

Like most places it isn't as good as it once was. Archery hunters have killed a pile of the nice bucks out west. We don't have units for the Archery tag so it gets pounded heavily all year. We had a rough winter not long ago that took out a lot of deer as well

Especially being a long wait, don't hold your breath on it nor have extremely high expectations. Fun hunt but it's tough unless you can get on private.
FYI There's more Mule deer Bucks and does killed with a rifle than a bow in ND. Rifle hunters account for about 50% more dead Mule Deer bucks than bow hunters.

Reactions: DFS
FYI There's more Mule deer Bucks and does killed with a rifle than a bow in ND. Rifle hunters account for about 50% more dead Mule Deer bucks than bow hunters.
Yes but it is controlled. Also how many of those are "trophy" bucks? From my anecdotal experience and viewing "bucks and bulls" overwhelming amount are dinks with the exception of Landowner tags/private access.

A pile of guys are just happy to shoot the first 130" forky they see. (Me included) because it was frustrating not seeing anything of size except on private and a zillion people. There is nothing controlling how many bow hunters are in a given area or how many deer they harvest.

Yes but how many of those are "trophy" bucks? From my anecdotal experience and viewing "bucks and bulls" overwhelming amount are dinks with the exception of Landowner tags/private access.

A pile of guys are just happy to shoot the first 130" forky they see. (Me included) because it was frustrating not seeing anything of size and a zillion people.
Impossible to know. A couple years ago, at the big buck contest in beulah, a vast majority of the big mule deer on display had two things in common. 1. they were taken on private land ( I knew this because I either knew the folks that killed it or I saw a gratis tag on the antler). 2 They were taken with a rifle (Again, tags were visible). Again, like your example, very anecdotal. But I would imagine there is some year to year variability. In general, I think anyone would tell you your odds of killing a big buck are better in November for most people (especially ND Road hunters). Considering we have over 6,000 rifle hunters in the badlands over our 16.5 day rifle season, with a nearly 80% success rate, I find it hard to believe that bow hunters have more of an impact on populations and antler size than rifle hunters.

Impossible to know. A couple years ago, at the big buck contest in beulah, a vast majority of the big mule deer on display had two things in common. 1. they were taken on private land ( I knew this because I either knew the folks that killed it or I saw a gratis tag on the antler). 2 They were taken with a rifle. Again, like your example, very anecdotal. But I would imagine there is some year to year variability. In general, I think anyone would tell you your odds of killing a big buck are better in November for most people (especially ND Road hunters). Considering we have over 6,000 rifle hunters in the badlands over our 16.5 day rifle season, with a nearly 80% success rate, I find it hard to believe that bow hunters have more of an impact on populations and antler size than rifle hunters.
Yes I can agree to an extent, I just don't see the harm in making bowhunters pick a unit. If nothing else to analyze and limit the amount of pressure/harvest in great areas. People aren't dumb, most guys congregate around 5-6 areas south of I94. I am just of the proponent of letting that rifle tag be really special at the expense of people bowhunting any weekend they feel like it.

Yes I can agree to an extent, I just don't see the harm in making bowhunters pick a unit. If nothing else to analyze and limit the amount of pressure/harvest in great areas. People aren't dumb, most guys congregate around 5-6 areas south of I94. I am just of the proponent of letting that rifle tag be really special at the expense of people bowhunting any weekend they feel like it.
I think theres a fairly good size portion of North Dakotans who agree with that sentiment. But, there's a lot that don't. In a landscape of shrinking opportunity, the question for North Dakotan's is, do we want to decrease the only real opportunity we have? Which is followed by a substrate of questions. Questions like, how many bow hunters is too many? How big of a deer is big enough to satisfy rifle hunters? Why are archers asked to make a sacrifice when rifle hunters take more deer off the landscape? Why is it okay for there to be 6k+ rifle hunters in the badlands over 16.5 days but not have a potentially similar amount of bow hunters spread out through the fall? Why should bowhunters have to sacrifice so rifle hunters can shoot bigger bucks?

Personally, I'm very much on the fence about the issue. But I am fully aware, if archery mule deer in ND continues to grow like it has over the last 10-15 years, then a change will have to be made. Period.

Last edited:
Yes that is for the specific unit that my wife and I are anticipating drawing.

The hunt will happen likely around 2035 and potentially sooner because a few of these people in front of me who hold points will die/age out before they draw the tag. I have the odds of life on my side unless something catastrophic happens.

If I hadn't started getting points years ago there is no way I would even attempt it now unless I was in my early 20's as a non-resident.

Hopefully if they limit it to an archery draw they will allow me to use my points for that. I will be sitting good at that point.

Its all just my own speculation at this point though.

What really baffles me if the guys who wait that long and then go there and shoot a 130 type buck.....

Whatever blows their dress up I guess...

I'm holding out for something special after waiting for 20-30 years and having the time to hunt. I wont put my tag on anything less than 170" and I believe if I have the entire season that I'll find one.
God willing im still around then and this site is still around i cant wait to hear the story! I have seen some truly remarkable animals out there on public and a lot on private. If you got the entire season and the ability to get into some of these areas you stand a good chance. When we were there last fall the majority of the people we saw were within eyesight of their vehicles parked off the roads. Unsure how far you are coming from but i believe if there are leftover turkey tags nonresidents can apply. Normally in the fall there are some units that have a good number of turkey tags left. Not sure if they are in your area where you are applying for deer or not. BUT it is a great foot in the door with locals. In my experience when talking with landowners out there about turkeys all have said yes, and almost every single one had one stipulation and that was shoot as many as i can haha. But something to think about to start a conversation and build a relationship with the locals. A lot have lost faith in hunters for alot of good reasons and bad experiences.

I have seen the types of people who have caused residents (in every state that I have hunted) to loose faith.

Sadly, most the the issues are caused by residents in those states. Not saying that there aren't dipshit non-residents (There are plenty) but most of the issues I have personally seen are from locals who like to in turn blame NR's....Its a common theme.

Any way you skin it, landowners don't trust people and that's something we all have to work on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back