NR DIY Caribou Hunt

802flyfish

As the title implies, my brother and I are NR and looking to book a DIY Caribou hunt. My brother has recently retired from the military and will be starting his law enforcement career here shortly. We’ve always talked about doing an Alaska adventure before work and family obligations take priority for the next 20 years as we both have young toddlers and newborns.

We have recently settled on Caribou to pursue as this may not be an option for NR down the road with politics and herd numbers from my research. Can anyone recommend a particular fly in area or operation?

Harvesting a Caribou will be icing on the cake, we’re primarily looking for more of an adventure and spending some quality time together in a beautiful place.

Last edited:
Like it was mentioned above. Getting on some of the best transporter repeat customer list is almost impossible. I been very fortunate in that regard.

Here are a few tips to make that happen.

~. I got on a cancellation list by telling them I would do ANY hunt they had for anything I was legally able to at any time. I got in on a semi last minute hunt years ago and had great time and have used their services since then.

~ Fly in and fish someplace to get on the list.

~ Book with a repeat customer on their reservation.

Like it was mentioned above. Getting on some of the best transporter repeat customer list is almost impossible. I been very fortunate in that regard.

Here are a few tips to make that happen.

~. I got on a cancellation list by telling them I would do ANY hunt they had for anything I was legally able to at any time. I got in on a semi last minute hunt years ago and had great time and have used their services since then.

~ Fly in and fish someplace to get on the list.

~ Book with a repeat customer on their reservation.

Thanks for the advice. You think August 17-26 is a good window for the NBR?

Thanks for the advice. You think August 17-26 is a good window for the NBR?

I have only hunted the north slope once and it was earlier towards the opener caribou were scattered and quality bulls were hard to come by. I think later dates are bit better as they group up more and it’s easier to pin locations. A lot has to do with your transporter. Some of the bigger guys have limited spots and your going where your going. The better ones have more options and flexibility. The best info is the most current info.

You really only have a few options. Central Arctic (Along the Haul Road), the Porcupine or the 40 mile herd. The fat lady is singing for the western arctic. Highly likely it will all be closed, the herd numbers continue to decline.

Keep Researching, but the number of slots open is very limited and getting more so every year. Its unreal how much it has changed in the last 10 years, even worse in the last 20. There used to be nearly 2M caribou in Alaska 20 years ago, I'll bet we'd be lucky to count 600k today, if that. Go soon and don't wait around. If it means hoofing it off the highway go for it. It may be the only opportunity you have. Even as a resident our options are dwindling just as fast.

PM incoming. Thanks.
I went last fall, one regret was not bringing better rain gear. Mine was rubber and I was sweating like crazy. An electric fence(which transporter rents) was a great peace of mind because there were lots of bears. I’m also very glad we had a spotting scope vs just binos. Good luck! I hope to hear about it.

Mitch

Thanks for the info Mitch. Just picked up a SG 6P skydome for the trip. Will mostly likely be renting a fence for meat/campsite. I do get peace of mind using it in MT when I do solo trips in bear country. Based off our current weight, we have 255lbs pounds of gear we can fly in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back