Guided Hunt vs. DIY

I am torn on this one. The thought of a guided hunt definitely has its share of allure. Packing in on horse back, staying in wall tents, the knowledge of the guides. All things that I would say for the average DIYer are not exactly in the realm of possibilities. However, then you have the sense of pride and accomplishment that comes from a DIY hunt. I say toss your lucky coin and decide from there. Either way, happy hunting.

Here's how I see it from being entirely new to hunting. I kind of see it as hiring a coach in a way. You may not know the area and know the technical stuff off the bat. Like someone said before, you can tell them flat out that you would like more a learning experience. So unless they are doing something that is illegal and unethical and encoraging you to do so as well, there is nothing bad about having a guide with you.

I did the DIY Public land option for the past 4 years and put everything I had into it in Colorado. Being from the East I only had one week of scouting usually in early summer, and then a week to ten days of hunting. When I did the math I had spent over 10k in 4 years and literally had nothing to show for it except the time spent in amazing country chasing these amazing animals.

So this year I’m going with a outfitter. I’m sitting at the airport now waiting to board my flight, reminiscing about the previous four attempts at archery elk, hoping for a more fruitful outcome of course. Either way, I agree with you that life is short and it is awesome to live it to the fullest. IMO I’ve never felt more alive than when pushing myself to the limits in the Rocky Mountains playground. As for which is better, I’ll hit you up in a couple weeks and give you my report.
Looking forward to hearing about this years adventure and how it plays out for you.

-J-

I really want to go on a couple elk hunts in my life. It would be a dream hunt for me. I'm from the Midwest. So I'm not sure public diy would be the way to go for me being I don't have much time to be able to scout etc. I think it would be much more rewarding diy though. But, to have the best odds I'm thinking guided is the way to go. I started to build points in WY and MT. By doing guided I could likely greatly increase my odds of harvesting a bull and also learn the ropes a little bit perhaps then transition to diy further down the road. What are your guys thoughts on this? Just from reading forums like this, facebook pages etc it just does not seem that as a non-resident (not even from the west) and having little time to hunt I'd be searching for a needle in a haystack in terms of getting a harvest. Going at it solo seems daunting. I've been out west on a succesful public diy pronghorn hunt and elk shed hunting trip and backpacked/hiked in Colorado a few times.

Other thing is I can't find anyone who would want to go with me. Sure, several friends like the idea of it or think it would be cool, but when it comes down to actually being serious about it they all have an excuse or reason why they can't commit to it. Even the guided hunt they wont commit once they hear the price. I know its expensive, but really its not hard to save a few thousand dollars or even make enough doing some side hustles to pay for a hunt. Other fear is a few of the guys that seem a little interested I know are not in the shape needed to hike the mountains nor do they have any interest in working out or getting in shape. Just a bunch of excuses.

I've decided I only live once and this is something I want to do and I am going to go even if it is just me. This is a dream to me and important. I do feel a little sheepish about booking a hunt with an outfitter and it just being me and not having a buddy or hunting partner. Surely I would not be the only person to ever book a hunt solo with an outfitter, but just looking for some reassurance.

I like your attitude!! You only have one life to live, so live it to the fullest - who cares what other's think? I doubt their opinion will matter much when your time on this earth is coming to an end! If I were you, I would never feel sheepish about accomplishing a goal/dream of yours!

If you want to come out to Utah and hunt (any bull unit or spike only unit) let me know. Yes, us UTARDS are weird, but not all of us are that weird. ;)

Growing up in the shadows of the Rocky Mountains, I used to find it odd when I heard of people going on guided hunts and/or paying for access to private property. Now that life, and it's constraints have become a reality (i.e. family, work), I have a better understanding of why people pay for a guided hunt or access to private property. Life is fragile, life is short, and I have no problem paying for a guide or access to private property. To each their own.

Last edited:
Looking forward to hearing about this years adventure and how it plays out for you.

-J-
Ok so I got back from my hunt Sunday night. Saw hundreds of elk. Problem is, most were on someone else’s private property. Had shooter bulls walking 50 yards away on the other side of short Barb wire fence, but very few could be coaxed onto our side. When your guide only uses a cow call, and not very well, it’s not a good

pros

saw a ton of elk
Had a shot opportunity but I blew it. My fault
Easy access, quads up to ridgetops
Slept in a bed not a tent
Meals prepared by others

cons

it’s daylight and we’re not
not enough property
No calling allowed except by guide
No bugling allowed (which I hated)
No control over decisions
Multiple lies and inconsistencies from outfitter
No control over any decisions
No midday hunting allowed

All things considered it was good, but I wouldn’t go back. When the outfitter claims to have 3x the property than he actually has, for me to hunt, that’s a deal breaker for me.

I’ll try the DIY again next time. I can’t justify spending $$$$ again.

Ok so I got back from my hunt Sunday night. Saw hundreds of elk. Problem is, most were on someone else’s private property. Had shooter bulls walking 50 yards away on the other side of short Barb wire fence, but very few could be coaxed onto our side. When your guide only uses a cow call, and not very well, it’s not a good

pros

saw a ton of elk
Had a shot opportunity but I blew it. My fault
Easy access, quads up to ridgetops
Slept in a bed not a tent
Meals prepared by others

cons

it’s daylight and we’re not
not enough property
No calling allowed except by guide
No bugling allowed (which I hated)
No control over decisions
Multiple lies and inconsistencies from outfitter
No control over any decisions
No midday hunting allowed

All things considered it was good, but I wouldn’t go back. When the outfitter claims to have 3x the property than he actually has, for me to hunt, that’s a deal breaker for me.

I’ll try the DIY again next time. I can’t justify spending $$$$ again.
Doesn't sound like you learned much ... except who to avoid the next time. I see my African outfitter has a starter deal on now. Four animals over six days (four hunting) for $2,400: wildebeest [blue or black], blesbuck, springbok, impala. If a warthog showed up that would be a cheap extra (one landowner I know insists that you shoot them). That includes everything but $24/day tax. My first trip over I shot all but springbok before noon of the first morning + warthog. Springbok the following morning on a different property + very fine gemsbuck. You'll see hundreds of animals and dozens of different species. My first encounter on first property was a couple of decent impala rams. Well, I thought they were decent. PH says no way and owner says we should come back when we're done and cull them both. And we would have but our truck had all it could carry by then. Drive on around the corner and almost collide with a cow rino. My PH just sent me a photo of a leopard in the road of that property as he was leaving two weeks ago. Very cool! Flight to South Africa can be bagged for between a thousand and fifteen hundred round trip if you shop early. Finish your list early and there's always management culling available. My first trip I culled a cape buffalo for a song. A guided trip for dall sheep is over twenty grand and no guarantee one will be shot. Or seen! I'd love to shoot a sheep but if wall hangers are what's important then spend the same money (or less) and go to the dark continent. Personally, I go to see spectacular country and tons of animals. The lodge scene is fancy enough but eating a lot, getting gassed on expensive booze, and BSing around the fire with dudes in fresh bought safari duds isn't a big drawing card for me. This time I stayed mostly in the property owners' farm houses and that suited me just fine. Felt like I was part of the family. Indeed, my PH is like family now.

Last edited:
I've done guided, got HOOKED on elk hunting. I now DIY since we live in elk country. If my intro via the guide had the lack of elk activity that we are having this fall, I probably would have never hunted elk again. Just an expensive hike in the mountains. However, bugling in bulls on your first go round, even without a shot being taken, I got hooked.

I have always lived in elk country and never felt the need or even desire to go guided. If I really focus on elk over all the other things we can hunt I will usually get one and have gotten multiple elk some years. Then I drew a tag in a completely foreign area in my state but 8 hours from my place. I knew of a guide who was excellent and would have done everything for 4000 dollars and had good horses. I was solo and it was crazy hot all day every day during the hunt. I was really concerned about getting the elk out solo without it spoiling. I saw lots of huge bulls all on private but they wouldn’t budge.
I didn’t hunt as deep as I wanted to go for fear of the meat spoiling before I could get it out solo. I should have hired that guide. It’s embarrassing to admit but The only reason I didn’t was my ego and I didn’t want to have to tell my buddies I went guided, it was a mistake. I have killed a lot of elk diy and solo but on this hunt I let my pride get in the way of really enjoying my hunt and doing that tag justice. If you use a guide or not I think should be dependent on circumstances of the hunt. Don’t let your pride get in the way of using a Guide. You will get a lot of satisfaction getting a bull solo but there are reasons to go guided I have learned. One big one is access to private property in certain places. Make sure you research and get a lot of references if you choose guided. There is plenty of guides around where I hunt that you won’t get your money’s worth. Figure out what’s best for your circumstances and go elk hunting as soon as you can !

My first elk hunt was guided, it was a complete train wreck 100% disappointment. I could do 4+ diy hunts (tag not included) for the money I wasted on that worthless outfitter.

Go guided if you can afford a good one, and do 1x1. Look at it as going to school/investing in yourself. Dont go on the cheapest hunt u can find, or ur just setting yourself up for disappointment and a waste of money.

Then go DIY if u want to do it every year. After you start to be sucessful on your trips your friends will finally get serious about coming with you....but by then you may find that you don't want them to!

Have done diy & also trespass fee. Don't really consider that guided, never had a person with me besides my wife. Mainly do the trespass fee to get away from crowds. The outfitter gives us some info but usually still take a time and mistakes to get us pointed in the right direction. Going public this year, 71, 3rd. First year in 50 that I will miss the Wisconsin opener.
Could you enlighten me on the trespass fee? What is it? My daughter and I are going out next year on a cow hunt….possibly a otc bull tag.

Could you enlighten me on the trespass fee? What is it? My daughter and I are going out next year on a cow hunt….possibly a otc bull tag.
Pay to play. The landowner charges you a fee to hunt his property. Could be by the day or by the week or by the animal, etc. As I understand it the difference between trespass fee and lease is the latter does not give you exclusive hunting rights.

Pay to play. The landowner charges you a fee to hunt his property. Could be by the day or by the week or by the animal, etc. As I understand it the difference between trespass fee and lease is the latter does not give you exclusive hunting rights.
Yes, would be nice if it were always the landowner. If you look around/google... it won't take long to find out that (most) trespass fee hunts are run by outfitters, some listing as "discounted", but before you think its a great deal, look at the hunt dates. Seems like "discounted hunts" mean cut in half. We always try for a combo 2nd/3rd season (CO), just like the longer season. Trespass fee is usually without a guide but if you google it you would have to sort through.

Thanks…seems like just another way to spend a bunch of money. I think I’ll do all I can with escouting and hopefully get out there a few days early and try our luck on public land. If she gets a cow elk she’ll be thrilled. Me getting an otc bull afterwards would just be icing on the cake.

Yes, would be nice if it were always the landowner. If you look around/google... it won't take long to find out that (most) trespass fee hunts are run by outfitters, some listing as "discounted", but before you think its a great deal, look at the hunt dates. Seems like "discounted hunts" mean cut in half. We always try for a combo 2nd/3rd season (CO), just like the longer season. Trespass fee is usually without a guide but if you google it you would have to sort through.
So the outfitter gets a lease and subleases by the day. Ugh! Man, this hunting game is getting so commercialized. Makes me sick.

I have always lived in elk country and never felt the need or even desire to go guided. If I really focus on elk over all the other things we can hunt I will usually get one and have gotten multiple elk some years. Then I drew a tag in a completely foreign area in my state but 8 hours from my place. I knew of a guide who was excellent and would have done everything for 4000 dollars and had good horses. I was solo and it was crazy hot all day every day during the hunt. I was really concerned about getting the elk out solo without it spoiling. I saw lots of huge bulls all on private but they wouldn’t budge.
I didn’t hunt as deep as I wanted to go for fear of the meat spoiling before I could get it out solo. I should have hired that guide. It’s embarrassing to admit but The only reason I didn’t was my ego and I didn’t want to have to tell my buddies I went guided, it was a mistake. I have killed a lot of elk diy and solo but on this hunt I let my pride get in the way of really enjoying my hunt and doing that tag justice. If you use a guide or not I think should be dependent on circumstances of the hunt. Don’t let your pride get in the way of using a Guide. You will get a lot of satisfaction getting a bull solo but there are reasons to go guided I have learned. One big one is access to private property in certain places. Make sure you research and get a lot of references if you choose guided. There is plenty of guides around where I hunt that you won’t get your money’s worth. Figure out what’s best for your circumstances and go elk hunting as soon as you can !
For most of us I doubt it’s a pride thing. It’s more of a wallet thing.
$4000 for the guide
$700 for the tag
$300 for processing
$1500+ for mount.

Approximately $6500 give or take is out of question for a majority of us.

Even a DIY hunt is becoming a wealthy mans game.

I’m not hating on guided hunts at all if I had the means I would.

For most of us I doubt it’s a pride thing. It’s more of a wallet thing.
$4000 for the guide
$700 for the tag
$300 for processing
$1500+ for mount.

Approximately $6500 give or take is out of question for a majority of us.

Even a DIY hunt is becoming a wealthy mans game.

I’m not hating on guided hunts at all if I had the means I would.
I agree and totally get the financial part. Just my experience on a specific hunt where in hindsight I probably should have used one. it’s hard to fork over money when you actually prefer and normally hunt on your own. Sometimes it’s worth it ,if you have the money available ,especially when access to private makes a huge difference and you will be in new country without a lot of time to scout. I normally never use a guide but sometimes it makes sense if it fits your budget.

I debated the DIY vs guided for a while and decided to wait to go on my first hunt till I had the money to spend on a guided hunt to have a better chance and learn some things. I went solo last September on a guided archery hunt in Montana and had an incredible experience without shooting a bull. I saw elk and got within 40 yards of a screaming mature bull. It was public land using horses and wall tents which was exactly what I wanted. I learned a lot and had a great guide. I’ll be back with him giving it another go when he has an opening. Having said that I would definitely pay the money for a guide if you have it but you have to have the attitude that’s it’s not all about shooting an animal. If it is then go private land to give yourself a better chance.

I have friends who wouldn’t spend the money on a guided archery hunt because it would kill them to spend that money and not bring home an animal. You have to decide how important the money is to you.

I’ll likely be going with a guide this year on a similar style hunt and might do it every year till I get one under my belt. You can’t take the money with you on the other side. Go with a guide even if it takes a few times and shoot an elk. Graduate to DIY hunting and when you eventually get your first DIY elk it will be incredibly rewarding. I’m from Pa and don’t have time to scout to give myself a decent chance at a DIY hunt. That’s at least my stance on the whole thing. Hope that helps.

I had a cousin who decided to go elk hunting a few years ago….he didn’t do any research or scouting and simply drove out to co and bought an otc tag in a unit the lady selling him the tag recommended. He got directions and an idea of where to go as far as how to get to the unit as well. He stayed in a hotel and drove up the mtn the next morning. He got out of his truck and walked a hundred yards or so from his truck and killed a 5x6 bull. It took him from daylight until that afternoon to get the big fella cut up and loaded in the truck as a snowstorm blowed in. It took four hours to get off the mountain in the dark in that snowstorm and after that you couldn’t get him to go back for any amount of money. He said shooting the elk was the easy part!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back