Now THATS a brook trout

I saw that article earlier this week. Made me do a double take, as I did not initially think that was a brookie pictured, but as another poster pointed out, that is a brookie tail. I've caught what I thought were nice brookies in the 15" class, in super skinny water in the high CA Sierras in 2016. Seemed to be a bumper year for them in CA. Same water this year and past couple years produced the typical 8" and smaller overpopulated runts. I do make a point to take a few brookies in CA when I can in the 8-12" range to knock down the population. Some of our mountain waters in CA are really overpopulated with these guys. They eat the best in my opinion too. Nice to know there are some big brookies wandering around in mountain lakes. With big brookies where this one was caught, I bet there are not a bunch of runts either.

Didn't click this article to see if it was mentioned, but it was a backpack into and out of the lake where he caught it. The CPW brief I read said that the fish had lost color on the hike out. Hard to believe a fish like that can grow at 11,000'.
Yes, it's just at 4 miles with a 2400' gain...

Definitely a big Brookie. splake have a forked tail congrats to whoever caught it hell of a fish. My son and I found a big brook trout hole way up in Colorado one time and landed several in the 4 pound range. It's mind boggling to catch fish like that when your expecting a bunch of 8" fryers

When I was stationed in Montana there was a rather small pond near us full of small Brook trout. Used to like going up and getting some out of it. Don't recall that they were any better than any other trout though! But fun to catch. Also now and then a moose would stop in to say hi! :)

I loved fishing for brookies in the Sierra's. 10 fish limits over the 5 other trout. Most were small stream fish.
Big trout in the high lakes back in the day. The east side was prime.
Rock Creek Lake had some footballs as we called them. 4lb brook trout was shorter than a 4lb brown or rainbow.

There is one small lake on Vancouver island thats stocked with Brookies ,but its heavily fished and are not at all like a B.T. from a cold water lake or stream......

The Colorado Record for Brook Trout was broken twice last year, just months apart and in different locations after the record had stood since the 1940's.

It's too bad they named the lake in the press releases. It's one thing when a record fish gets pulled from a big reservoir somewhere, and quite another when it's a small lake of just a few acres. A 3 or 4 mile hike is not much of a deterrent in Colorado these days.

The Colorado Record for Brook Trout was broken twice last year, just months apart and in different locations after the record had stood since the 1940's.

It's too bad they named the lake in the press releases. It's one thing when a record fish gets pulled from a big reservoir somewhere, and quite another when it's a small lake of just a few acres. A 3 or 4 mile hike is not much of a deterrent in Colorado these days.
Do you think the anglers involved would be so stupid as to actually tell the truth about the lake they fished? I certainly wouldn't. Never have, as a matter of fact.

Brookies are such pretty fish...I've caught them as a youngster in creeks in Appalachian Mountains,
rivers and lakes in Maine and high elevation beaver ponds in Utah.
In Alaska, char (Dolly Varden and Arctic) look like big brookies....
dolly_varden_trout2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back