Not Ideal late season hunt…

If I can make enough to get out of a job that beats the snot out of me I’m not opposed. Can’t see myself doing anything more than hands or feet though!
don’t forget your calves! 😂😂😂

If I can make enough to get out of a job that beats the snot out of me I’m not opposed. Can’t see myself doing anything more than hands or feet though!
Money talks! And there's some pretty gross people out there... well shit, you've seen some of the memes here. You know they're amongst us🤣

I've been mostly fortunate in the nail sector. Never lost one completely, but have been damn close numerous times. Most recent one was a couple years ago. Not sure exactly what happened, but I crushed just above my thumb nail. What must have been a bruise slowly grew out under my nail over the next month or so. Was at a doc apt for something and she noticed it and laughed. Said kiss that nail goodbye! It was black under the nail, but it never came off. Didn't hurt either after about a week 🤷. Seems like most injuries on or around nails just painfully linger around for a month!

Coming from someone that still is doing dangerous work at 60..you better smarten up or you won't make it.
No laughing matter.
I mean this with all sincerity and respect.
Oh I know. Too much rushing to get the jobs done. I prioritize family time and try to get home as quick as I can every day. I need to slow down a little bit and make sure I come home every night. The fingers sucked but were bearable. The toe is a very big wake up call both in the amount of pain and how much it is limiting me. Thank you for the reminder as well.

I contemplated not writing about my last two hunts of the year but this place needs a pick me up right now and figured this should be interesting. I have a late season antelope doe tag in a mostly private unit in northern colorado. West of i70 and south of the border… If anyone has access and wants some elk stakes or something else in return pm me 😉.

My seven year old daughter’s favorite meat is antelope and she wants to go hunt with dad. I have been swamped with contracts I needed to finish for my business before the end of the year and just finished. I did not draw a tag this year and this was the only one I was able to pick up in the reissue process. I got an Airbnb in the unit for the night of 12/28. We will hunt the 28th and 29th.

The hunt may mostly consist of driving, glassing, and hoping for a generous land owner to have a soft spot for my daughter.

There is a backup plan of a 3 mile bike ride in, river crossing, and a couple mile hike, to get to a spot that might hold antelope. I asked a few people from the forum if they would door knock, or go for the crazy mission with a seven year old. All but some indoor enthusiast said I should door knock. Asked my daughter what she wanted to do, and let’s just say she is my kid. “I want to have fun, not knock on doors, even if we don’t get anything.”

This is where the tail gets interesting. I was finishing up my last contract of the year and had to remove a tree grate in order to grind the stump.

View attachment 307305
It was this style and about 2” thick. It was so full of dirt and debris I couldn’t get a rope under it. I grabbed the grate to lift it slightly and hopefully get a rope on it to lift with my grapple truck. The grate shifted and slid as I lifted it and could not hold the weight. I dropped the grate and it caught the toes on my left foot.

48 hours later this is what my toe looks like and I cannot put weight on it.
View attachment 307306
I had to work on it yesterday to finish the contract (business ownership). It sucked. I pulled the crutches out of the basement to keep as much weight off of it as possible. My goal is to heal up enough to hike by Thursday. We shall see. I won’t be in the quitters thread but it may be very limited.

We also have a late season private land deer doe tag that goes till Jan 31st. Hope you all can enjoy this little light at the end of the year. I’d pass up a OIL tag before I would miss a hunt with my daughter. Last year we hunted a doe deer in -3 temps, I tried to talk her out of it but she dragged me out of the house.
View attachment 307308
Where were your Steel toes? Or did that happen with them on?

Oh I know. Too much rushing to get the jobs done. I prioritize family time and try to get home as quick as I can every day. I need to slow down a little bit and make sure I come home every night. The fingers sucked but were bearable. The toe is a very big wake up call both in the amount of pain and how much it is limiting me. Thank you for the reminder as well.
Yeah, I'm just saying. Not trying to be a jerk.
I think safety all the time I am off the ground, 99% of the time without a harness. Something can happen at any time, ...take a second to recognize " what if".

This is why composite toes became so popular right? They break instead of bend!
To be honest I'm not sure about the composite. But yah I believe that's the theory. Most guys I know like them more since they don't get cold or as cold as steel in the winter time. I'm around heavy enough stuff every day I'd rather break some toes than have the steel toe mush them off.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back