Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Not enough deer being shot in the UK

I was going to explain about all private land but figured I would let Richard do it. The places he took me were smaller farms and driving around he would point out properties he had access to. Completely different than over here!

What I saw while visiting Richard and Lee made me think the sale system works fine in Britain. What works for one area might not work in another. The US system would collapse (and has) under the a sale/no tag system. Similarly, Britain might reverse the other way to almost no hunting if landowners didn’t see a potential financial benefit from hunting.

Richard and I dropped a few Fallow deer off one evening to the meat market. It was very interesting. I finally got to see a Red Deer!

Attachments

• 5FB0656B-9637-4902-A84E-25FD1D58B8C1.jpeg
    5FB0656B-9637-4902-A84E-25FD1D58B8C1.jpeg
    698.9 KB · Views: 26
We have amongst the strictest gun laws in the world, you have to jump though many hoops to get a rifle, let alone a place to hunt with it.
My chest freezer is full!
Recently there has been a Facebook group called 'giving up the game' where people can donate game free of charge or at little cost to the non hunter.
The farmers are very cautious who they let hunt on their land, luckily they trust me, and many people in my county now who I am, and I have a good reputation (or at least so I am told!) and because of this the farmers that were once strangers to me are now good friends, it does help.
But the guy in the article, states he controls the deer on 35,000 acres, well thats BS, I have access to 3000 acres and I struggle to be in the right place at the right time!
But I get my fair share.
Any other questions fire away.
Cheers
Richard

hey Richard,

what about muzzleloaders in the UK? And how hard is it to bring a bolt action rifle there on a trip? Also let say one were to go to the UK how much meat would they let you export for the trip home. Red Deer is on my bucket list and I have to combo it with a vacation my wife would want to go on.

regards
Overlordbear

hey Richard,

what about muzzleloaders in the UK? And how hard is it to bring a bolt action rifle there on a trip? Also let say one were to go to the UK how much meat would they let you export for the trip home. Red Deer is on my bucket list and I have to combo it with a vacation my wife would want to go on.

regards
Overlordbear
There are some questions whether muzzle loaders meet the legal criteria to hunt deer in the UK, Scotland are different from England.
I did start to look into visitors from the US bringing their own rifle, not worth the hassle, just use your guides.
Cheers
Richard

When I wasnt in London I would shoot 50-80 deer a year off an estate I stalk, as part of a cull of around 200-300. The population was still growing!

When I wasnt in London I would shoot 50-80 deer a year off an estate I stalk, as part of a cull of around 200-300. The population was still growing!
I dropped off a hind yesterday, the manager said he had taken in over 800 deer since 1st November of most species, not that you would know with the numbers I have been seeing.
Cheers
Richard

I dropped off a hind yesterday, the manager said he had taken in over 800 deer since 1st November of most species, not that you would know with the numbers I have been seeing.
Cheers
Richard
Sounds like you need to take a couple, build a giant BBQ pit, and throw a big party for the town folks! Maybe the Old Thatch would supply a few beverages.

Sounds like you need to take a couple, build a giant BBQ pit, and throw a big party for the town folks! Maybe the Old Thatch would supply a few beverages.
I can't believe you remembered the name of that pub!
All my friends have some venison from me.
BTW, we are in lockdown again so all pubs etc are shut:cry:
Cheers
Richard

I can't believe you remembered the name of that pub!
All my friends have some venison from me.
BTW, we are in lockdown again so all pubs etc are shut:cry:
Cheers
Richard
Of course I remembered! That's where you and I first met up face to face. Plus, the fish and chips WAS pretty darn good there! :cool: Just thought a big old block party would be a good way to use up some venison and maybe get some new customers! Not to mention a way to break up the monotony of a lockdown. Socially distanced, of course! I'd come, but I think I'm busy that weekend! ;)

The biggest trouble we have is the 'management' of the deer isn't done over a large scale area. Like the guys have said. All individual landowners can let people manage te deer how they see fit.
You are lucky if you access to large areas of land that join up. Most stalkers don't have access to properties that join up.

We can shoot what we like and how many, seasons permitting, but it would be a waste if you can't get rid of the venison

I butcher a lot now and gift it to neighbours and friends. If it gets people eating this healthy meat all the better.
The hospitality industry is shut down so the wholesale market is dead.

Richard, I live in Germany for the last year, haven't had a chance to take their onerous school to get a license yet, so all my guns are with family in the US still. What's involved with hunting in Britain if someone goes there? I've never hunted guided or anything close it to it, but it seems the only option over here. Would Brexit throw a monkey wrench in bringing meat back to the EU?

Richard, I live in Germany for the last year, haven't had a chance to take their onerous school to get a license yet, so all my guns are with family in the US still. What's involved with hunting in Britain if someone goes there? I've never hunted guided or anything close it to it, but it seems the only option over here. Would Brexit throw a monkey wrench in bringing meat back to the EU?
You can hunt with a resident who holds a firearms license or a guide. You can borrow their rifle so long as they accompany you at all times (same as the hunter mentor scheme in WY). Deer stalking is relatively inexpensive in the UK, esp if you are happy with cull animals. You would not be able to take any meat with you back into the EU.

There are ways and means!

if your in Germany, I take it your in the military?

if you have any contacts at Lakenheath or mildenhall air bases, come and hunt with me, pass the meat to a friend and see if they can’t internally ship it over for you?

I smuggled home a 60kg wild boar back from Germany in the roof box of my van 🙈😂

Wow. Did he say deer over population?
No bag limits?
No permit?
Yall providing the guns?
How much ammo you got on hand?
Let me load up some local boys and get right over there.
Five Texans could decimate the deer population in a month!😂

No bag limits?
No permit?
Yall providing the guns?
Just remember no Texas heart shots!

No bag limits?
No permit?
Yall providing the guns?
In the last 2 weekend 3 of us have accounted for 14 deer, in total about 12 hours of hunting, mainly muntjac and female roe deer.

I’m actually after the red deer but their not Playing ball

top picture is this Saturday, bottom picture the week previous.

it’s a never ending battle and only a month or so until the season ends.

155925A5-B0C7-494C-9A46-CFD0482E21D4.jpeg
4251D7DD-C153-4EDD-B0F1-5B645533E103.jpeg

Hmm, I have a European vacation coming up curtesy of Uncle Sam I might just have to make a visit to the UK in the next year. Do you guys have any good contact for those cull hunts?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back