Caribou Gear

Not bad for a rookie

Erik in AK

Hey all,
While out on patrol yesterday I ran into a bud of mine from Eielson AFB. Erik Z is an Air Force Survival Instructor like Ovis' buddy Rich. He was "guiding" his girlfriend Lisa on her first ever big game hunt. They walked the five miles to get out of the bow-only corridor plus another to be safe and camped for two days. She dropped her first Bou with one shot from about 175 yards. Erik packed out all the meat in one load (he's a stout young man) and Lisa (to her credit) hauled camp along with the antlers. Not bad for a city girl with no real hunting or backpacking experience to haul a third of her own weight (my unoffical estimate) across 6 miles of tundra tussocks.
I told him to hurry up and marry her...........

Attachments

• Z & Lisa2.JPG
    Z & Lisa2.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Lisa22.JPG
    Lisa22.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 166
Erik

Had I not read your post, I would have lost all credit for Erik Z. Though I never met him, I know of him and typically the first thing you hear about him is that he is a machine. I'm aware of him hauling out a caribou and sheep approximately 20 miles one year in a single load. Or at least that is how the story goes. I recall quite vividly the size of the sheep and it was a pretty nice one. He also popped a stout billy goat the same year I shot mine. His was slightly bigger than mine (so to speak), but he shot a short haired goat (yuk). Anyhow, as I was saying, had he made that poor girl pack that bou out...I would have lost all respect. :)

She appears to be quite the trophy herself. She "ain't" from around there, is she? Fairbanks don't grow em that cute.

Great pictures.... A fine 'bou and a beautiful lady...

Wish I could find a hunting partner like that...All my buddies are fat, hairy, smelly GUYS...

Does she have a SISTER...???...

Let me correct that..... I think I'd stand a better chance with her MOTHER... :D ....

Danno...you'd stand a better chance with the 'bou itself ya horndog! :D

Great pics Eric and thanks for sharing- her smile says it all! Reminds me of days with my Mrs. B4kids!

Holy White teeth Batman !!!!!

Kudos to the Hum_ping... Errr.... Hunting trip !! ;)

OK,, OK,, In all seriousness, I think it takes a Dedicated hunter to hike the 5 mile limit for the haul road. My hat's off to both of them for the trip and the success. I was jsut Emailed a Picture from Cameron Haynes the editor of the Bowhunter's Journal and he jsut wacked a Nice one too. tis the Season !!!!! Erik, Where is yours ?

For the time being I have to be content with cruising the road and taking pictures...lol. However, I'm thinking about a winter ski-in rifle hunt in early Nov. The rut will be over so meat quality will be good and the bulls will have nice white capes.
I have a sheep hunt coming up next week so thats my focus right now.

That is a great trophy for a rookie, and that hike/pack out sounds like an awsome haul...

Congrats to her... :D

Erik

I shared your pics with some fellow ABM students today that are in my class. They happen to be prior "E" SERE instructors. They seem to think Eric has put on a little weight since the last time they seen him. I'm thinking they were a bit envious of Lisa as well. The nerve of these guys...they didn't even comment on the bou.

Good luck on your sheep hunt. Take lots of pics. At the rate you are going, even if I don't get an assignment back up there, I can still live vicariously through your pics.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back