Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Northwoods Wisconsin 2019 Season

Northwoods Labs

Figured I would throw some pictures up of my 2019 hunting season on here. Most folks on this forum are primarily big game hunters, but I am primarily a bird hunter (ducks and grouse) with some whitetail hunting thrown in. I have a couple Wyoming points, so that will be my next adventure in the coming years. All my hunting is on public lands with the exception of the gun deer season where I hunt with my family at our deer camp on 120 acres. I get out some on National Forest Lands, but most of my hunting is on County Forest lands and State Wildlife Areas. These are managed virtually in the same manner as a National Forest (very different than the state trust lands out west)

Did not get out at all opening weekend of bow season. I am just not a fan of hunting in hot weather. Went bass fishing instead and caught my personal best largemouth: 22 in., a spectacular fish in our northern climate
22 in. Largemouth Bass Staples Lake.JPG

Opening weekend of duck season was last weekend. Hunted a lake with my dad and uncle, amazingly we had the whole place to ourselves. We were kinda rusty and should've had at least 3-4 more teal than we got. All the ducks, and the 2 geese, decoyed extremely well

Ducks and Goose from Kreiner Lake.JPG

Last edited:
Went out duck hunting both days this weekend. Saturday was a forgetful day. We got to our spot well before hours. We get our decoys set out and along comes a guy in a kayak. There isn't much room for more than 1 group in the sport, but oh well it is public land. A few seconds later we hear a boat motor. The guys with the motor see the kayaker, and increase speed to beat him to a spot. They crash through our decoys as they fly by the guy in the kayak. Now there are 3 guys all crowded in one spot. The guys with the motor then proceeded to skyblast at any duck that was in sight (which actually wasn't that many). Poring rain the whole morning we got drenched. To top it off my waders got stuck on a beaver chewed log and ripped. We didn't get anything and it'll be a while before I head back to that location as it was a shit show to say the least.

This morning we went to a new spot. We called in one lone goose right away. Almost called in a huge flock that were really looking but decided better of it. One flock of woodies buzzed the decoys 4 times before committing and I came home with 2. A beautiful October morning, but just not many ducks around right now. I think most of the teal are gone, and we don't have any migrators that I have seen, just local mallard and woodies. Lots of geese though

71672458_10157787864452664_5901296390532759552_n.jpgKreiner Lake.JPG

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back