Caribou Gear Tarp

North or South Facing Openings for Feed?

matechakeric

Corey Jacobson talks about south facing openings as where he looks for grass growing but Randy Newberg talks more about northly facing hillsides that are protected from the direct rays of the sun as best. Which is the better source for grasses typically in northern rocky states?

That’s a great question. Stylistically those guys hunt very differently but they both seem to get it done.

I don’t think it is as cut and dried as either one of those guys say. I have seen and harvested many Elk that were feeding on both N & S facing slopes. I would argue that a S facing slope in SW Montana is pretty dry compared to N facing. S facing in the late season is good because they can be wind swept and easier to find feed than N facing. However, typically N facing is where most bedding areas are located because of their cool, shade nature. I think it’s more about the over all livability of an area and their travel routes. Elk are creatures of habit unless pushed.

West facing. You'll get plenty of open spaces with heavier cover in any low spots, gullys, etc. Unless you're above the timber line, north facing slopes are typically a jungle.

Last edited:
I agree it’s not that clear cut. Varies by lat/long, elevation, water levels. For example, in wetter places, south slopes will have better feed. Move to dryer locations limited by water and you’ll want north

Oversimplification, which both would probably say. Totally depends.

Ecologically speaking and extremely generally, in the Rockies southern aspects will tend to produce graminoids, northern aspects coniferous timber. Unlimited variability exists within that.

Attachments

• C6788F86-E9CA-423A-B700-19A28B13206F.jpeg
    C6788F86-E9CA-423A-B700-19A28B13206F.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 19
Good question by the OP. When you listen to Randy and Corey, keep in mind that Corey's focus is archery; pre-rut and peak rut. Randy's: post-rut and late season.

Vegetation focus changes from summer to winter. Elk will focus on the high protein forbs in the summer, then move to grasses as the fall comes in. As fall moves to winter, the shrubs and oak brush become what's left over and increase in focus.

The south-facing slopes have most of the grasses and forbs but are also getting cooked in the summer months. During archery season, which generally contains the first three phases of Elk primary needs, the cows are foraging in the places with the best and most feed.

As the food quality diminishes from heat, drought, and over-grazing, the elk will move to the east northeast, and north slopes for feed since the sun is less intense on these slopes. Yes, there's timber, but there are also occasional meadows on the north slopes.

I've found forbs on the north slopes in sparse timber that was open enough for sunlight to grow forbs and grasses.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back