North Dakota Elk (E2)

gwm

Got lucky and drew the once-in-a-lifetime tag now the bow season is nearly upon us and need to get out and find the elk. I am planning on heading out in a couple of weeks and chase them around with the bow.

I have a few ideas on where to start but does anyone have any suggestions?

Hope to have great memories and a story after I get back!

Greg

I don't know where you are planning to hunt ,but the private land surrounding he Theodore Rosevelt Park gets a few elk migrate thru from the park.

The tag is good for Dunn and McKenzie Counties so will probably start somewhere near the Killdeer Mts.

I can't help you much with E2. Different story if it were E3/4. I do believe the game and fish keeps a landowner list for E2 and have heard of hunters having success with it.

Last time I was assisting an elk hunt in E2 we had luck finding elk early around Killdeer mountain wma. Seen a couple bulls shot opening day of rifle but knew of some having luck calling early during bow. I know some of the landowners north and northwest of the mountain towards the river do allow access if you can get a hold of them, we had permission but due to our late harvest our days were few during the early part of the season and once the elk found private with no access they set up camp through the season and stayed put, was very frustrating. Have a fun hunt be prepared to spend lots of time. Good luck

Thanks everyone.

1976 - that is my fear that the elk get somewhere that can't be accessed.

Last edited:
I'm sure you're aware of this, but your your E2 tag can be used in the E5 unit as well. I checked our trail cameras on Thursday (8/27) and a bull elk was on camera. It was the first time getting any elk photos this year, so I assume he's just passing through the area in search of cows and isn't living on our stuff. We're in the E5 unit, send me a PM if your at all interested...

I would 2nd the cherry creek area. I had a tag for e3/4 in 2013 so my knowledge is more in that area. That being said I know a buddy who graduated with me get an e2 cow last year. He paid a landowner 500 to get on the land. This price was the lowest that he got from a landowner and only had to be paid if he got one. He said he saw a lot of bulls but he didn't have a tag. That unit is hard since all the private land. I ended up getting my e3 bull in unit e5 so don't discredit the e5 unit. People shoot a few bulls every year in E5.

Best of luck have a great hunt!
Jamen

TTT

Heading out Monday for a week was hoping to be there this weekend but the warm weather and that darn thing called work is keeping me away.

Hope to hear some bugles and find some bulls to chase!

Anybody been out that way recently?

Back