PEAX Equipment

North/Central California hogs

Hi all. I live near Monterey, and am interested in pig hunting. Does anyone have any recommendations for public land or reasonable hunting clubs to join? Any advice is appreciated.

It all depends on what you consider to be "reasonable".

I took a Home Butcher Class at Oakstone Outfitters, they're down in Bradley, CA, and going price is about $1000-$1200 around SLO/Paso Robles area. I don't really consider that to be reasonable, so it all depends on your definition.

There are a number of outfitters all around California and especially SLO->Monterey. If you plan to hunt public land you'll need to do some homework, IMO, or at least be willing to invest some to learn about it. Some others to check into would be Bitterroot, Twissleman, SY Guides, you can google and find a number of good ones.

It seems like maybe it is because you are a new member? not sure how long that lasts. I don't think there are any big secrets but I also don't want to immortalize anyone's favorite spot on the Internet. I'll try to send you a message again in a few days.
Thanks OwenH. I think I have to post 10 times to message privately. I’ll ping you once I’m there.

It all depends on what you consider to be "reasonable".

I took a Home Butcher Class at Oakstone Outfitters, they're down in Bradley, CA, and going price is about $1000-$1200 around SLO/Paso Robles area. I don't really consider that to be reasonable, so it all depends on your definition.

There are a number of outfitters all around California and especially SLO->Monterey. If you plan to hunt public land you'll need to do some homework, IMO, or at least be willing to invest some to learn about it. Some others to check into would be Bitterroot, Twissleman, SY Guides, you can google and find a number of good ones.

Thanks for the insight.

Thanks for the insight.
dunivan,

One thing I will say is that if you have not butchered a pig before, and want to learn, the Oakstone Outfitters Home Butcher Class was XLNT, IMO.

Not only did it break it down, step by step, but provided the hands on experience to give me the confidence I could harvest and dress in the field. The class costs $300, which I thought was a pretty good deal. I'll pay $300 for a butcher class, but won't spend $1000 to get a pig. :unsure:

dunivan,

One thing I will say is that if you have not butchered a pig before, and want to learn, the Oakstone Outfitters Home Butcher Class was XLNT, IMO.

Not only did it break it down, step by step, but provided the hands on experience to give me the confidence I could harvest and dress in the field. The class costs $300, which I thought was a pretty good deal. I'll pay $300 for a butcher class, but won't spend $1000 to get a pig. :unsure:

Thanks Konocti. This is great information, and totally agree on the $300!

As a San Luis Obispo county native I would agree that it is rare to see pigs on the vast majority of public lands. Pm me if you want some public land info, but I would suggest paying a guide or trespass fee if you want more than a single digit chance of success.
Hi I am a new member and have been on the chase of pigs in the SLO area. Can you pm me. I would love to talk

I found this thread amazing, but does anybody have any hog hunting strategies, me, my uncle and my cousin are interested on this area but have failed to succes any recommendation?

Back