Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

North/Central California hogs

NV_ARCH3R

Looking for my next new hunting adventure. Anyone care to share any information on North or Central Californa public land hog areas??

Can’t recommend any central Ca public for reliable decent pig hunting. There is some on the Western side of the Southern Central Valley, but those hunt best in the spring during wet years. Highly recommend you look at private land for good pig hunting. San Benito, SLO counties on the private are very reliable.

Ditto above. The few public spots that hold pigs are pretty tough. Relatively few pigs, tough access, tough terrain, etc...No way I'd drive all the way from out of state for that. Lots of pigs on private, just gotta be prepared to pay a few bucks.

I'm just starting out and want to pig hunt. I had a tag last year but wasn't able to get out. I currently live in West San Jose but plan to retire to Lake County, they are much more friendly to hunting and fishing. I just recently joined the Konocti Rod and Gun Club, they have a range in Highland Springs.
I've kinda been thinking about a couple places discussed in this video.

Although a couple years old, it's got a lot of useful info.

Anyone hunting hogs in the northern part of A zone? A friend talked me out of North Cow Mountain, claiming it's too crowded and it's steep.

I'm just starting out and want to pig hunt. I had a tag last year but wasn't able to get out. I currently live in West San Jose but plan to retire to Lake County, they are much more friendly to hunting and fishing. I just recently joined the Konocti Rod and Gun Club, they have a range in Highland Springs.
I've kinda been thinking about a couple places discussed in this video.

Although a couple years old, it's got a lot of useful info.

Anyone hunting hogs in the northern part of A zone? A friend talked me out of North Cow Mountain, claiming it's too crowded and it's steep.
I used to do pretty well at New Idria and San Luis. Not so much interest and hunting pressure back in the day.

Anywhere south of Big Sur off highway 1 are truly wild boar. No hunting pressure as I have never seen another hunter. If you are in shape for a real challenge the rewards will be great.

Anywhere south of Big Sur off highway 1 are truly wild boar. No hunting pressure as I have never seen another hunter. If you are in shape for a real challenge the rewards will be great.
I've wondered about that area in the past as it's closest to the ocean so would be cooler. There are a number of springs in the mountains, and that would be ideal for pigs. If you look on the interactive BLM map and zoom in you will see that the BLM land is offset from Highway 1. Inland you can get access from 101, even Hunter-Ligget, but HL charges a yearly fee to hunt there. Watch that video I posted above from CDFW, it is quite good and Matt points out several areas that are good to target if you're looking for public land.

I have a friend that lives between Templeton and Cambria, I'm not sure if there is any public land there or not, it is most likely private. Lots of private vineyards. Most private land seems to want $$$s for access, but with all the vineyards it seems the pigs must eat at least some of the grapes. Acreage is pricey in California. Hunter-Ligget is an exception where the Military has a lot of BLM land, which should belong to the people anyway.

If I were still in California chasing pigs, I would hold my secret spots pretty close. But I don't anymore. I'm not blowing up anyone's spots here, but this is how I would play this game today if I were still hunting California.

I used to do this with maps and go to County Assessor's Offices. Now it's easier. Obviously tougher than paying to get on a ranch, but you can find pigs if you are motivated.

You start with goHunt or OnX to highlight publicly accessible land where there might be pigs.
Then research whether the managing agency allows hunting. There may be access lotteries, Duck Stamps, etc you need to get on.

Many of the lands you find may be considered closed to hunting, but actually are not after your research it. Or they may be closed to hunting, but you can use them to access other land where you can hunt. Some only allow archery, etc.

Look for ranches and outfitters offering paid hunts, find them in OnX, then search for public ground close by. Look for news articles about pigs damaging landscaping or crops.
Think about how pigs are using lands near Ag ground. They love acorns, but if they can get grapes, maybe they are only using bedding on public, etc.

"Northern California" is a pretty big circle around San Jose. I would be looking from all of the Los Padres NF north to the Oregon line. Don't overlook the east side. There are pigs in the Sierra foothills as well. There are several National Forests around Kelseyville and Clear Lake. Don't forget places like UC's Hopland Field Center, etc.

A single state account on OnX for a year is less than the food cost of a day's hunt. Try Promo Code "RANDY" (for everything, always.)

Finally - consider this. Are you going to spend more than about $400 scouting, planning, and executing a DIY hunt? It might be worth it to buy a day on a ranch.

If I were still in California chasing pigs, I would hold my secret spots pretty close. But I don't anymore. I'm not blowing up anyone's spots here, but this is how I would play this game today if I were still hunting California.
I do hope to find some honey holes for myself.
You start with goHunt or OnX to highlight publicly accessible land where there might be pigs.
I just signed up for OnX last week. I have been looking at the maps, trying to make a plan.

Many of the lands you find may be considered closed to hunting, but actually are not after your research it. Or they may be closed to hunting, but you can use them to access other land where you can hunt. Some only allow archery, etc.
I need to understand how to tell BLM land easier.
Look for ranches and outfitters offering paid hunts, find them in OnX, then search for public ground close by. Look for news articles about pigs damaging landscaping or crops.
Think about how pigs are using lands near Ag ground. They love acorns, but if they can get grapes, maybe they are only using bedding on public, etc.
Good tips. I watched a video of a guy over in the north coast and he had 2 pigs rooting on his property. That was the first I saw of pigs in Lake County, I have never seen them inside Buckingham, but have seen tons of deer and turkeys, peacocks, foxes, etc...same guy had a bear on his property. So there must be opportunities over on the cache creek side.
"Northern California" is a pretty big circle around San Jose. I would be looking from all of the Los Padres NF north to the Oregon line. Don't overlook the east side. There are pigs in the Sierra foothills as well. There are several National Forests around Kelseyville and Clear Lake. Don't forget places like UC's Hopland Field Center, etc.
Indeed SJ is big, and it is centrally located for the pigs. I have a couple places in SLO area to checkout, and Monterey as well. Possibly the most pigs are taken on public land in these two areas.

Finally - consider this. Are you going to spend more than about $400 scouting, planning, and executing a DIY hunt? It might be worth it to buy a day on a ranch.
I will probably spend more in time than anything else. I did find a place that will do a self guided pig hunt for $350, and help skin the pig and haul it back. If I pay, that will be what I opt for.

Hi all. I live near Monterey, and am interested in pig hunting. Does anyone have any recommendations for public land or reasonable hunting clubs to join? Any advice is appreciated.

Hi all. I live near Monterey, and am interested in pig hunting. Does anyone have any recommendations for public land or reasonable hunting clubs to join? Any advice is appreciated.

You're in the highest population of feral hogs in California, and although most are taken on private land, the best opportunities in public areas are around Monterey.
I posted a webinar that was given by CDFW above, that gives a good amount of information in your area.

You're in the highest population of feral hogs in California, and although most are taken on private land, the best opportunities in public areas are around Monterey.
I posted a webinar that was given by CDFW above, that gives a good amount of information in your area.
Great, thanks so much!

Also, does anyone know of reasonably priced hunting clubs near Monterey County?

As a San Luis Obispo county native I would agree that it is rare to see pigs on the vast majority of public lands. Pm me if you want some public land info, but I would suggest paying a guide or trespass fee if you want more than a single digit chance of success.

As a San Luis Obispo county native I would agree that it is rare to see pigs on the vast majority of public lands. Pm me if you want some public land info, but I would suggest paying a guide or trespass fee if you want more than a single digit chance of success.
Thanks Owen. I appreciate any information you can provide. Having a hard time finding where to private message on here (maybe it’s because it’s in my phone).

Thanks Owen. I appreciate any information you can provide. Having a hard time finding where to private message on here (maybe it’s because it’s in my phone).
It seems like maybe it is because you are a new member? not sure how long that lasts. I don't think there are any big secrets but I also don't want to immortalize anyone's favorite spot on the Internet. I'll try to send you a message again in a few days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back