Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

North carolina / outer banks

I will be at nags head for a week end of July. Anybody have suggestions for fishing?

I just spoke to a co-worker whose dad lives near there. Unfortunately his dad is in Phoenix at the moment and won't have an answer for you until next week.
The guy I talked to said the number one thing will be water temp (60ish degrees +) on the coast so you don't have to motor out so far to fish.

There will be pompano, flounder, croaker, and some puppy drum in the surf. If you want to go offshore ride down to Oregon Inlet and go out on a charter boat. They have beach closures now because of shore birds nesting, but if you have a 4X4 ride out on the beach to fish. If you are lucky Cape Point will be open, the Labrador Current and Gulf Stream Current meet at this point. Cape Point is at Buxton near the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Buy fresh shrimp to fish with, only what you would eat, cut into small pieces. Cut mullet and mullet minnows work too. If you have a throw net you may be able to catch your own. I have been going to the Outer Banks since the 70's.

NC - is your info for me if i will be there the last week of July? Id like to go out on a boat and catch some some type of a billfish.

Yes, that is what you could expect around the end of July. I usually fish in the surf or sound. We went out a couple miles in a small boat last year and caught some spanish mackeral. That was the 1st week of August. I have not been offshore there, but the fishing should be good. That catch some tuna there too. Look up Oregon Inlet Fishing Center, they should have a website. I will ask around and see if I can get a recommendation on a good captain.

I'd go with Duke Spencer if your wanting to fish the sound or surf....he's done it for years. By all means he is seasoned with salt like a captain should be. Heck, I don't even know if he still does it any more but he could sure recommend someone if he is retired. If you want to go out in the gulf stream then I believe he has relatives that charter. I even remember his brother Paul Spencer that builds sport fishing yachts.

Or you can go out and fish the wrecks for some nice amberjack. They're not the best eating, but sure fun to catch. There's also yellow fin tuna, wahoo and any number of species, but offhand I don't remember the best times for them. Some really impressive king mackerel can be had, and if you want to drive to the ferry dock and take a 45 minute ferry ride to Ocracoke island you can go to the east side of Silver Lake ( the harbor) and find smaller charter boats and go out into the sound for red drum. The last one I caught just off Portsmouth village was 47" and about the same in pounds weight. There is outstanding bill fishing too, but never cared for dragging a lure around all day. Good luck and enjoy your National Seashores and our glorious state.

Oregan Inlet has a full fleet to pick from. And expect to shell out some $$$$$, however it is the closest launch point to get out to the Gulf Stream in the U.S. Google Deep Sea fishing, NC and you'll be on you way, be be advised....alot of the Good boats are already booked for the entire season. Get Busy !!

I've had luck catching some fish around the Bridge at Oregon's Inlet. Roommates used to do really well for tuna down there with the occasional marlin. Also have done some spear fishing for spadefish around the Oregon Inlet channel markers. You can find trout in a lot of the creeks and marshy areas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back