Non us citizen

Hell yeah!

Each US state has its own set of regulations. This is endlessly confusing for us who live here. There are some areas of some states in which an outfitter/guide IS required to hunt unless you are a resident of that state, but overwhelmingly no outfitter/guide is required to hunt land that is open to public hunting.

A couple of things to make sure you have in order 1st:
-Most state application systems for game animal tags (permits) have you enter a social security number. Seeing as you don't have one, it pays to learn if/how the particular state you are wanting to hunt will accommodate that.
-Completion of hunters safety education course is required to buy game tags in most, if not all US states. Make sure you've taken a course that meets this requirement for the particular state in which you are applying. Some European courses do meet requirements in some states.

Other non-US citizens will of course have more/better information that I posted, and will likely chime in too.

Welcome to HT

Hi Norwegian Hunter, as above yes you can get tags. In general us "non resident aliens" are treated the same as non residents of the state. So we can apply for tags the same as if an American citizen was applying for an out of state tag. There are some exceptions like Alaskan where a guide is needed for all big game. But if you want to hunt elk in Idaho or Colorado (which have tags you can just go ahead and buy) or Wyoming, Montana (where you have to apply) then its definitely a non-outfitter option.

As a fellow non resident alien happy to help in any way I can. Its pretty late to apply this year but it can be done.

Last edited:
Hi Norwegian Hunter, as above yes you can get tags. In general us "non resident aliens" are treated the same as non residents of the state. So we can apply for tags the same as if an American citizen was applying for an out of state tag. There are some exceptions like Alaskan where a guide is needed for all big game. But if you want to hunt elk in Idaho or Colorado (which have tags you can just go ahead and buy) or Wyoming, Montana (where you have to apply) then its definitely a non-outfitter option.

As a fellow non resident alien happy to help in any way I can. Its pretty late to apply this year but it can be done.

I am also a non us citizen planning to apply next year. What do you use instead of social security number? Do you have to comolete a hunters educational program?

Thanks

I am also a non us citizen planning to apply next year. What do you use instead of social security number? Do you have to comolete a hunters educational program?

Thanks

Depends on the state, you kinda got to look as the US as the EU and then individual us states as countries.

Most states require hunters education unless you are a certain age, in Colorado that's born before 1949. A hunter's education course you took in your home country may count, you will have to check with the specific states department of wildlife. General rule of thumb if it was a rigorous course it probably counts.

Every state is going to have different rules for Social security numbers for Colorado...

Your best bet is going to be to decide, 1. What you want to hunt 2. Where you want to hunt that animal 3. Call the state agency that manages hunting and ask them for specifics.

Thanks
I know people who didn’t complete the hunters Ed, and that may be fine if you have an equivalent, but i did mine online with the Texas fish and game. I actually have a social security number but if you don’t have one suggest you call the fish and game people and ask them to walk you through your application. That’s what I did.

Thanks! I solved the problem! Do you by any chance know the regulation or the procedure to travel with a bow into USA?

Depends on the state, you kinda got to look as the US as the EU and then individual us states as countries.

Most states require hunters education unless you are a certain age, in Colorado that's born before 1949. A hunter's education course you took in your home country may count, you will have to check with the specific states department of wildlife. General rule of thumb if it was a rigorous course it probably counts.

Every state is going to have different rules for Social security numbers for Colorado...
View attachment 110892

Your best bet is going to be to decide, 1. What you want to hunt 2. Where you want to hunt that animal 3. Call the state agency that manages hunting and ask them for specifics.
Thanks!

A friend of mine from Hungary is hunting with me this year here in Montana. The biggest hurdle we had to overcome was the hunter's education requirement. My Swiss-born wife and in-laws hunted there so I really appreciate all the training and testing and qualifications (and now an apprenticeship in some cantons) most European hunters have to go through. While a few states do accept European or South African hunter certifications, Montana FWP will only accept hunter education certificates from a US State or Canadian Province, period. I know because I made calls all the way to the top.

Like Kiwi, he wound up having to take the Texas Parks & Wildlife on-line hunter education course in order to apply for his tags.

Not sure of the process in Montana, but a friend from New Zealand hunts with me in Colorado every year. CPW just required him to provide a copy of a prior hunting permit from his home country and they approved that as proof of hunter's ed. A bit of a loophole since getting an NZ hunting permit is just filling out a form online, with no credentialing whatsoever. After submitting his NZ hunting permit, they created his CID (CPW customer identification number) for him, with 888-88-8888 as his social security number as wllm1313 mentioned.

A friend of mine from Hungary is hunting with me this year here in Montana. The biggest hurdle we had to overcome was the hunter's education requirement. My Swiss-born wife and in-laws hunted there so I really appreciate all the training and testing and qualifications (and now an apprenticeship in some cantons) most European hunters have to go through. While a few states do accept European or South African hunter certifications, Montana FWP will only accept hunter education certificates from a US State or Canadian Province, period.
Strangely you don't have to complete any certification in the UK, it's all voluntary, although I can see it changing one day.
There are 2 levels that we can take, a theory Level 1 and the more advanced Level 2, myself and @Big Ears have the latter, @leec270 was a witness to my Level 2 and know's a lot more about deer stalking than I!
Cheers
Richard

Strangely you don't have to complete any certification in the UK, it's all voluntary, although I can see it changing one day.
There are 2 levels that we can take, a theory Level 1 and the more advanced Level 2, myself and @Big Ears have the latter, @leec270 was a witness to my Level 2 and know's a lot more about deer stalking than I!
Cheers
Richard

The UK laws have always kinda baffled me, I've always wanted to do a DIY backpack hunt up in the highlands. I wouldn't mind paying fees for the hunt if I could do it my way.

I've tried to research it a couple of times and really haven't been able to find if A. It's legal B. If legal what permits or licenses you would need C. If any estate allows anything remotely like that.

I know there are areas 4+ miles from road that have deer...

Scotland has different laws and seasons to us, pretty unlikely any estate would offer what you require, the other issue, they have something called 'right to roam', the public can go where they like, the estate would worry if they got mistaken for a red stag!:ROFLMAO:
Cheers
Richard

Back