Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Non native firewood?

Thank you for your inquiry. While there is no law against importing firewood to Wyoming from other states, we do not recommend it, especially if it is wood from certain tree species. If you would like to discuss this further please feel free to contact me.
I also discussed it with the forest ranger in Kemmerer. What is being put out in publications is not in the form of regulation or law at this point. The brochure from the State FS was done by them in an effort to combat invasive insects but not in the form of law or regulation which takes time, required public comment periods and hearings and money to do. I am getting the same word from the forest ranger where I hunt so I think we are consistent on our information at this point. Both the State Forestry Division and the local forest service "do not recommend" bringing foreign wood into the forests and if you do so, they "ask" that you get it as close to your campsite as possible. I myself take in untreated 2x4s both for leveling my camper and giving my jacks something besides gravel and mud to set on and I usually have an excess from construction sites to burn. But I would personally not take wood into the national forest areas or State Parks other than kiln dried certified firewood and lumber that is bug free. I would not want to be the one responsible for bringing an invasive species into a forest area and have enter areas of lodge pole pine or juniper and that destroyed. According to the ranger in Kemmerer, there is enough certified commercial firewood sold that anyone can find bug free bundled firewood and he was fine with that.

I did have a forest ranger at Kennaday Peak east of Saratoga tell me I could not burn 2x4s there but if it were cut and split timber I brought in, I bet I would of been OK then. Not even sure that was correct info from that ranger now after doing more research myself.

Thanks @wytex even though we don't always agree. :)

Last edited:
I would have asked that ranger for a written rule or at least show me where it's written. I would have specifically asked how 2x4s could do any damage to the forest ? I do have a forestry background so my arguments might take a different approach than your's.
Hardwood from out of state has little chance of infecting or transferring pests to our conifer forests. can it happen perhaps. Logging companies haul their loads throughout the forest and some across county and state lines, wonder how they keep from transferring insects in their loads?
Lots of questions for that enthusiastic ranger at Kennaday if it had been myself.

I try to do my homework before posting, am I ever wrong, you bet.

You all have been getting all our rain over the hill, please share a bit !

I would have asked that ranger for a written rule or at least show me where it's written. I would have specifically asked how 2x4s could do any damage to the forest ? I do have a forestry background so my arguments might take a different approach than your's.
Hardwood from out of state has little chance of infecting or transferring pests to our conifer forests. can it happen perhaps. Logging companies haul their loads throughout the forest and some across county and state lines, wonder how they keep from transferring insects in their loads?
Lots of questions for that enthusiastic ranger at Kennaday if it had been myself.

I try to do my homework before posting, am I ever wrong, you bet.

You all have been getting all our rain over the hill, please share a bit !
What rain? It's been hotter than hell and dry in Cheyenne. What sprinkles we had didn't faze anything. I almost think I am in Texas half the time when I am doing my weeding and that.

I was barely back into the hunting scene when I camped on Kennaday Peak for hunting and a state resident a whole year and a half. Yup you are right, I should ask for specific citations to statute or regulation. Relying on hearsay even when it comes from people who should know their stuff is risky.

Last edited:
I guess Vedauwoo is getting all that rain then.
Don't think so. Not right now. It rains maybe 20 minutes then sun comes out and it gets very hot. The southeast portion of Cheyenne got a ton of moisture early on then wham here comes summer. I am close enough that if they don't have much rain here, it's probably not a lot there either. We were getting good daily run through June then it turned dry. Still snow up in the mountains though and you don't have to go far. Just take I-80 east to Pole Mountain area.

Back