No yotes at Choppers

Calif. Hunter

Actually there are lots of coyotes at Copper's ranch - they just wouldn't come in to our calling. We tried a few sets Friday night with no luck. We had them yowling at us twice though.
Saturday morning, a friend of CHopper's named Pat showed up with his electronic call, but we still had no luck. So we spent a few hours seeing who could get the most hang time with a ground squirrel. Chopper was using his .30-06, which usually didn't leave much to flip into the air. I had one flip up close to 5 feet with a triple flip, and Keith had a couple that were just about as good. I was shooting my usual 27 gr of H-335 under a 50 gr TNT and Keith was shooting the white box Winchester 45 gr HPs. Pat had a blast, literally, with a semi-auto .223 chasing the runner across the field. He was also using his Ruger M-77 .22 mag to great effect.
On our way to an evening stand, we ran into a flock of quail, so Keith and I chased them around. I managed to bag two of them.
We went to a place on Chopper's ranchcalled Round Springs, and started to call with a locator call - a whole mess of coyotes started answering back. Just as we started to call with a distress call, Chopper spotted a herd of pigs coming our way. Keith made a move on them with Chopper's bow, but they got away.
That ended our short weekend at Chopper's ranch, as he had chores to do the following day and Keith and I both needed to get home.
Many thanks to Chopper for a great weekend! And thanks to Keith's wife for letting him go hunting on her birthday!
Next time, I hope Tyson and Tim can make it - if CHopper asks us back again!

Sounds like you had a great time. Wish I could have been there. Bummer on the coyotes not cooperating. I'll try to skewer one or two next month when I'm there pig hunting.

One of the many good things about Chopper's place is that there are always alternate targets......

I think we were all newbies without a clue.
wink.gif
At least Keith and I were - Pat may have known what he was doing. From what I understand, these coyotes are not hunted much and probably Tyson is one of the few who have tried to call them there - and it worked for him. So I submit that we probably were pathetic
frown.gif
... the last "stand" we were on with the recorded calls probably would have produced, since the yotes were talking back to us - and then the hogs showed up. Chopper said, "Wanna get one?" and Keith took him up on it.

It was agreat hunt regardless of not shooting any yotes. I do think that if the hogs had not shown up that the coyotes would have come in. Thay were really worked up barking and howling at us. We had a great time bsing bbqing. The squirell shoot was the best, as Rick said, we had some acrobatic ones for sure. I'm looking forward to trying calling in the yotes again.

sounds like fun training squirrels to fly.

usually if the dogs are barking/yipping at you, you've been had.

I forgot to say Thanks to Chopper for having us at his ranch,as usual he showed us a great time. Rick, how did Chopper put it?, offer a bunch of guys a free hunt and only two guys show up, whats up with that!!! T-Bone, yeah I think they had us made, but it sure was exciting and they sounded so close.

They started yipping after we played the locator howl,,,but maybe they still knew all about us. Or maybe they were yipping at the hogs, since they came from the same direction as the howling and yipping.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back