Caribou Gear Tarp

No Sidearm With Bow for Deer in CA

What do you do?

• Total voters
I was told by a warden in CA that you cannot carry a sidearm during Archery Only with a deer tag. But… if you have a bear tag in your pocket you can carry a sidearm. I carry my Glock 20 throughout early Archery for numerous reasons. Cats, growsites, whatever. It’s in the regs just didn’t have the time to search and post right now

I always carry a handgun in the woods, hunting or not.

Oregon used to have this same prohibition, until the legislature weighed in and told ODFW that they didn't get to make gun laws - they were usurping the legislature's authority. Open or concealed, whichever was most comfortable, since if you are hunting or fishing in Oregon you can have a concealed weapon.

Back when Oregon didn't allow carrying a gun while bow hunting, my buddy and I ran into a game officer and asked him if it was OK to have a gun in camp so that we could switch back and forth between hunting elk with a bow and hunting bear with a rifle. He said that was legal. Then he told us it would be legal for us to hunt side by side, one with a bow and one with a gun. Then he gave us detailed instructions on how to kill an elk with a rifle and make it look like it was killed with a bow with almost no chance of being caught. I'm not sure if he was just chatty or trying to set us up.

I like the bear spray idea. The mountain I hunt on is home to 6 female lions now, males come to visit & ive seen trail cam photos of 4 adult sized lions together not far from one of my favorite spots. I feel like I can change a cats mind with a bow but not more than one. So many cats it’s a biological study area is the reason I know the numbers. Only seen a couple hunting in 40 years but always tracks & kills.
It's the one you don't see that could be the problem kitty.

It's the one you don't see that could be the problem kitty.
I believe there were something like 27 fatal mountain lion attacks in N America since 1900 when i checked a couple years ago, and something like 56 bear fatalities in N America since 2000, split evenly between brown and black bears.

If the law says I can’t carry a handgun during the archery season then I can’t carry it. If I agree or not it is the law and I will abide it. There is always the right to organize and try and overturn the regulation .

Not in California myself. But I carry a sidearm and bearspray when I bowhunt. I'd seriously oppose a law that prohibits me from doing so (for the 2 legged and 4 legged reasons). The warden can tell a bullet hole from an arrow hole. Why not fine people when they actually break the law we are worried about (illegal take) as opposed creating new laws to prevent the problem? Was the idea that someone carrying a pistol is easier to spot and detain than someone who actually discharges a firearm during an archery only season? Also, I kinda feel like if you can't carry a gun in the woods, where can you in America?

Not in California myself. But I carry a sidearm and bearspray when I bowhunt. I'd seriously oppose a law that prohibits me from doing so (for the 2 legged and 4 legged reasons). The warden can tell a bullet hole from an arrow hole. Why not fine people when they actually break the law we are worried about (illegal take) as opposed creating new laws to prevent the problem? Was the idea that someone carrying a pistol is easier to spot and detain than someone who actually discharges a firearm during an archery only season? Also, I kinda feel like if you can't carry a gun in the woods, where can you in America?
It's a statutory issue and not T14 in the FGC. The Commission was able to clean up the carry while bear hunting, but because of processes needed they can't make the change here for deer.

I believe there were something like 27 fatal mountain lion attacks in N America since 1900 when i checked a couple years ago, and something like 56 bear fatalities in N America since 2000, split evenly between brown and black bears.
To add perspective to how rare these bear/cat attack deaths are- 10 people were killed in 2021 from lightning strikes.
https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-fatalities. Can it happen, sure.

I think a great many people overestimate their handgun quick draw and accuracy abilities. Let me know how it works grabbin' your shootin' iron with that release on your wrist?

On Traditional Bowhunting sites do they debate about carrying a Cap n' ball pistol? I'm curious....

I know people who have had potgrower run-ins and they have family who were killed by cartel growers. Carrying one pistol wasn't gonna save their lives....If I thought carrying a pistol was going to make a difference in my safety while bowhunting , I sure would find a different place to hunt. I think the threat of hostile potgrowers on Public land is overblown. Crossing a fence on to Private land with growers would most certainly be more hostile.

Personally I practice my archery about 300x more than my handgun skills. My archery groups are smaller at 3x the distance too.

By all means carry a pistol if you want to but if you are thinking about having to use it you aren't bowhunting 100%

A lot of good points in the replies. A lot of "highly unlikely to need so why carry" type responses too. If you are the overprepared type and don't mind the extra weight/hassle of the law, go for it - if not, don't.

Don't see how its any different than carrying a first aid kit, PLB, or any other equipment associated with a worst case scenario. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it IMO

I thought the only way you DIDN'T get in trouble having a side arm in California, was if you were in the act of an illegal activity... :rolleyes:

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back