No antelope today

mtmiller

I decided to chase antelope with my bow this weekend. Yesterday I went out early and just got rained on. Nothing seemed to be interested in the decoy. After an hour or two, I bagged it and went home and processed a deer. Wouldn't you know it, the afternoon turned out great, but I was upto my elbows in venison burger.

Today I gave it another shot. The wind was blowing 15-20 and made it impossible to manipulate the decoy and stay ready for a shot. I finally found 1 buck that was working an area that would allow for a stalk. As I watched from the road, it was apparent he was in tough shape. His right side was torn up and he had a broken back left leg that was flopping below the knee.

I hustled ahead and saw the tops of his horns less than 30 yards away. He was no longer moving, so I assumed he was a little nervous. At that point, I bellied crawled to 20 yards and behind some heavy vegetation. Just as I arrived, I jumped a cottontail that ran right at the buck. Game over. I stood up to see the buck heading out.

He was not a monster by any means, maybe 12", but with that leg flopping, I really wanted to kill him. Guess it wasn't to be.

On the way back to the road, I searched around the rock pile the rabbit took to. Unfortunately he was still taking cover. I would have felt much better if I would have been able to shishcabob (sp), skewer (sp). Screw the spelling, I wanted to stick an arrow up his ass.
biggrin.gif

No go, outwitted by an antelope and a rabbit.

I did have the dog and found some sage grouse, but decided to let them go. I shot one this year, so I thought that was probably enough. The dog was not impressed with my decision.
rolleyes.gif

Sounds fun. This weekend turned into some fun for me, but no critters either. I meant to sit treestands for whiteys most the weekend but ended up chasing elk and damn near getting a couple too! NO cigars though.

Sounds like you had a good day. Too bad you didn't catch up to the wounded buck. The antelope here would have definately been interested in a decoy yesterday. We went up and did a little scouting for my hunt next weekend and many of the bucks were running around herding the does and chasing the younger bucks. We saw lots of cookie-cutter 12"-13" bucks, but probably nothing over 14". However, I heard a rumor of a buck on one of the ranches I got permission to hunt that sounds like he's worth chasing.
wink.gif

Oak

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back