NM Unit 24

bf1002

I drew the mid November Mule Deer tag for unit 24 in New Mexico. This will be my first western hunt. Just looking for any and all advice anyone has. Also is it worth it to grab a bear tag? Thanks for any info anyone has. I've already learned a lot reading in here. Thanks!!

No reason to waste the money on a bear tag because the bear quota will likely be filled by the time your hunt opens. If you really want a bear tag, wait until you arrive for your hunt and verify that the quota hasn't been fill. I've spent some time hunting in 24. You can find deer anywhere in the unit but unless you have access to private land, you will find very few deer at the lower elevations. Focus on the mid to upper elevations. Many other hunters will drive roads or stay within 1/2 mile of roads. Many areas are not easy to hike, but if you are willing and able to hike a mile from motorized access, you will get away from most other hunters. There are not really high concentrations of deer, so don't expect to see a lot of deer during your hunt. Good luck.

Welcome to hunt talk. See you out there in November. I have the same tag. First time in the unit. I will be getting out and scouting in the next few weeks. I think they have relaxed restrictions enough now.

No reason to waste the money on a bear tag because the bear quota will likely be filled by the time your hunt opens. If you really want a bear tag, wait until you arrive for your hunt and verify that the quota hasn't been fill. I've spent some time hunting in 24. You can find deer anywhere in the unit but unless you have access to private land, you will find very few deer at the lower elevations. Focus on the mid to upper elevations. Many other hunters will drive roads or stay within 1/2 mile of roads. Many areas are not easy to hike, but if you are willing and able to hike a mile from motorized access, you will get away from most other hunters. There are not really high concentrations of deer, so don't expect to see a lot of deer during your hunt. Good luck.
This^^^
Welcome to HT

Thanks for all the input. I figured the bear tag would be a wait and see depending on the quota. I unfortunately will not be able to scout anything before hand so I've been on OnX and google earth looking it over. I really appreciate the time everyone has taken to comment.

I drew this unit for the Nov 13-17 hunt. I'm hoping to get down to scout at least once, but focused on my elk hunt up in 53 first. Happy to coordinate with others for intel before and during the hunt...

Any insights on how it went in 24? I have mule deer tag there in mid-November, so I am trying to figure out where to start. I may be able to sneak out for a scouting trip prior, but my wife may have other plans for me.

I hit the popular spots you'll find mentioned on the web. Got into does every day, spikes a couple times. Found my first shed!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back