MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

NM Scouting Trip (13)

Roadtrip

Nothing like a good scouting trip to get completely stoked for Elk Season. I flew out to Albuquerque and had the pleasure of meeting up with another Hunt Talk regular, muzzyelk. I had more fun and saw more elk than ever in all of my trips put together. Of course muzzy explained that we would be doing a "little" walking. He took 20 miles off of my a$$ on one saturday and I am fortunate to have survived. I was concerned when I saw the shovel in his truck as I was sure it was for my burial to avoid the hassles of an explanation as to how a flatland surfer from the beach ended up dead in Elk Country. :D

The day before I had to stop my truck for a heard of about 60-80 head that decided an afternoon rainstorm made for a perfect time to cross hwy 60! 2 miles down the road I hit the brakes for another group of about 40. I now see why so many people like to road hunt.

Further up north, on the following day, muzzy spotted the big daddy coming out with another 6x6. This guy made the other elk look like a pony from a kids ride. I've never seen a bull in the field in the 350 class but I now understand more fully the old saying. " There are 3 sizes, small, medium and oh my god" ;)

Cheers and good luck to all this fall,

Roadtrip

AWESOME Roadtrip!

It was looking like I would be able to slip out there and scout before the season begins, but now work is getting in the way so we will arrive a few days before the late archery in that unit.

Sounds like you saw all the elk in that unit!

I didnt think they allowed surfers into new mexico :D

The secret to my Elk hunting success is a combination of surfing and rugby. It has reduced the number of times I've fallen and busted my a$$. Also helps keep the scope in the same area code as the location I would like to actually shoot. The rugby keeps a 40 year old in shape enough to keep a guy like muzzy from leaving me in the dust. I have to be honest, I was a bit stiff the next morning. But is was a good kind of sore.

I doubt I saw all the elk in that unit, it is bigger than the state of Maryland. I did learn a very important thing....what looks like elk country, may not hold elk, and what looks terrible for elk, may be full of them. I would never have even looked in some places.

Cheers
Roadtrip

:D Yes as Roadtrip said we had a pretty good scouting trip. We seen a few elk, a couple of monsters and couple of cows and a small bull. I would have to say our trip was a success. Well anyway it got my heart pumping hearing the small bull let off a bugle and hearing the cows talking it was awesome and some what surprising. I have never heard a bugle this early in AUGUST.. I would like to say goodluck Roadtrip in where ever you decide to hunt Man!

Hope this doesn't sound too stupid but I too have heard reports of bugling already. You guys consider this early and what effects would an early rut have, for instance, on a mid oct. hunt?

Yes, we stopped a looked at each other like we were crazy when we heard that little bull bugle. He also hopped up and tried to mount a cow. She was having none of it. Haven't been out during August before so I was surprised.

Cheers
Roadtrip

Hey Roadtrip,

Well here I am, this looks like an awesome site. It was good talking to you on the phone. Give me a call when you get to Colorado in September!

Horn,
I will definitely try and hook up with you after our hunt on the way back down to Albuquerque. Maybe we can grab a steak dinner and a cold one or something. If all goes well, we can have some Tenderloin ;). Thanks for the head up on the area we are hunting. These folks here are all right in my book all politics aside. LOL. Like I said in the other thread, you might need to lock up your beer and your sheep.

Cheers
Roadtrip

Welcome hornaddict...you'll like this board....good guys and knowledgeable interaction.

JB,
You know I did. I ate one of those Burrito's and the burger from the store at the hwy12 junction. Place is the Bomb after a long day on the hill.
This time I was smart enough to get the chile on the side. Last year they lit me up. Was expecting texas chile on a burger and got all this green stuff. Just about had to stick my head in a bucket of water.

Cheers
Roadtrip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back