NM Hunting and Theft Issues

I’ve been in a lot of places but I will say... the Walmart in silver city is s k e t c h y at night. I tend to babysit the vehicle while the boys take care of shopping.
We do the same thing in Las Vegas NM. At least one guy stays with the truck. We used to arrive by about 3:30 am but they quit staying open all night. So now we make it about 5 and bribe the guy at the front door to let us shop and self check out.

Lifelong ABQ resident here. I've had one vehicle stolen/burglarized, but first time was my fault (red Mustang convertible with nice stereo and left the top down) and second time it was stolen from a high theft area. Crime in ABQ is hyper-concentrated - almost guaranteed in the "warzone" area, but drops off exponentially away from that. I frequently (accidentally) leave my garage door open and never had issues.

I will say that some locals statewide (especially northern NM) tend to loathe out of state plates, so if you're camped out hunting in a trophy unit with Texas plates.... just make sure to appear as empty/boring as possible.
I think Texas plates are universally loathed.

The further from ABQ the better, but trailheads in certain areas are not real good, either. Empty rig is best - doesn't prevent the rig from getting jacked, but get all all the gear out for sure.

I think the lesson here is...at all costs avoid New Mexico. It's not safe, your stuff will most likely be stolen and there's a good possibility you could die. I'd suggest to save your friends and family any heartache it's a good idea to stick to applying in the northern tier states. Please stay safe and avoid New Mexico.

Any larger city in the US is like that. Exception is WY where the small towns that are mostly outastaters in oil n gas that have drug problems. They will knock you in the head just to steal your wallet.

”If Texas is so great, why do they come here”.

I agree with most of the comments here. I'd try to leave as few valuables in the car as possible.

I quit putting Swarovski, Weatherby, and any hunting stickers on my truck a few years ago. I don't have any Yeti coolers either. My 30 year old Coleman coolers are not attractive to even the most desperate thieves, but they would knock out all of my windows for $1500 worth of Yeti's.

I started putting gun cases in the cab marked “Savage” and twice now I have found $100.00 bills left on my seat with a sympathy card...

This happens in Wyoming too. A group of NR hunters stopped at a Casper motel for the night and left hunting stuff in their truck. When they woke up in the AM, everything was gone, including rifles. Casper police were kind enough to do some work to get loaner equipment for them which that group actually returned after their hunt.
Pretty sure those guys were from my home town in PA

Instead of Weatherby, Matthews, Yeti, Swarovski, etc. stickers... maybe one that says "half-naked schizophrenic cannibal with a knife and a smile owns this truck" sticker would work?

Instead of Weatherby, Matthews, Yeti, Swarovski, etc. stickers... maybe one that says "half-naked schizophrenic cannibal with a knife and a smile owns this truck" sticker would work?
Sorry... I have to "contribute" 10 times before I can start a thread... so I'm full of fantastic advice right now.

Been visiting New Mexico for last 8 years. Harley parked at the hotel for a weekend, never touched. Have stayed downtown Albuquerque multiple times and never had vehicle problems. Hunted and camped in Southern New Mexico, never had an issue. Actually just got back last week and never locked the camper door while out playing. No problems. I like New Mexico so much I bought a lot in a southern community and if construction materials go down in cost, I will build in a year. It's certainly not anything like Cabrini Green.
"Cabrini Green" - haven't heard that one in a long while!

The residents of Cabrini Green would have kept NM bad boys as pets. I toured it along with Henry Horner. Unbelievable.

Well, I've been on quite a few NM hunts now and have not experienced or heard of any theft issues. I recently was on an elk hunt where there were lots of camps and opportunities for thieves, yet no problems. Living in Albuquerque warps your feeling of security since property theft is so prevalent. Common sense would make you think thieves wouldn't mess with hunters/guns, but thieves are generally not the smartest bunch. Nothing is safe in Albuquerque. Albuquerque wants to build a new arena to boost tourism while toughening up on crime would likely do more good.

I have always figured that theft from a hunting camp is not the most attractive option for a thief - unless something can be grabbed in a quick drive-by, the rascal likely understands that he is stealing from someone that is armed, and might well be close by. I'm not going to shoot someone because of my stuff, but if I'm walking back to camp and see goings-on, the idiot may get to drive away on flat tires...

Back