Nm gmu 2b

N

ntodwild

Anyone know anything about the quality of hunting as well as the quality of Elk in New Mexico Unit 2 Primarily 2B. This would be my first year applying in New Mexico and just trying to get a feel (not that I would get the draw). What units would be your first choice for a quality bull elk hunt in New Mexico?

As usual not looking for detailed info on the area as I am pretty confident in my e-scouting. No one give up their hunting area. Just need some basic info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a reason why you want 2B? With no point systems in NM why not swing for the fence, and make your first choice one in the Gila?

RLTW

Is there a reason why you want 2B? With no point systems in NM why not swing for the fence, and make your first choice one in the Gila?

RLTW

No reason whatsoever. I was just looking at the GMU map. I was also thinking Unit 16. I have not done any research at all. Just starting to look into it.

I hunted late deer in unit 2B years ago and saw a nice 300ish bull. However, it was the only elk I saw in four days of hunting.

NM looks at your 3 choices before moving on.Go big on your first choice or two,and higher odds 3rd choice.Good luck, I drew my 2 nd year applying with 10% odds

We saw a few elk in there hunting deer in early Nov. Didn't see any nice bulls but found this set of sheds. I would not 21868.jpgapply for deer in that area again unless it was the Jan bow hunt.

Resurrecting this thread.

Sooo, there's not much information on the internet for this unit. Also, is the tag good for all three (2a,2b,2c)? According to top rut there aren't many NR tags given out but the unit is huge. The success rate seems good, something like 35% for rifle over 3 year period. What's missing here? Well, it's a huge unit and not many tags, which makes me think the people who draw this tag know where the elk are going to be. Maybe not a good unit to start out in NM? The NM folks probably know what's up.

This is from San Juan River Outfitters:
Unit 2 is our home unit, and while it is a legendary mule deer unit, it is lesser known for it's rapidly expanding elk herd. We have steadily seen elk numbers increase and hunting opportunity improve. We a suggest a Unit 2 hunt as a good "third choice" on your application. While we do not begin to represent Unit 2 as being of the same quality of Units 34, 36, 51, or 52, it still offers a good hunt with great odds of being drawn for a tag.

I've read other reviews that seem to agree that the elk are spread out and you need to know the water sources they're using. Other comments that it's not "typical" habitat when you think of NW Elk hunting, and others commenting on the prevalence of gas/oil wells and compressor stations throughout the unit, as evidenced by the background of Camdu7's pic.

I've never been there, so this is just what I found when researching it myself. But you're right, Toprut is showing success rates of 19%, 48%, and 43% respectively for 2nd archery, muzzleloader, 1st rifle.

This is from San Juan River Outfitters:

I've read other reviews that seem to agree that the elk are spread out and you need to know the water sources they're using. Other comments that it's not "typical" habitat when you think of NW Elk hunting, and others commenting on the prevalence of gas/oil wells and compressor stations throughout the unit, as evidenced by the background of Camdu7's pic.

I've never been there, so this is just what I found when researching it myself. But you're right, Toprut is showing success rates of 19%, 48%, and 43% respectively for 2nd archery, muzzleloader, 1st rifle.

Ok makes sense. See, this is the deal when you get into success rates, etc. Sometimes the numbers aren't indicative of the overall quality or what works best for a DIYer.

RELATED: Who is the best person to contact in NM for advice? I've tried the conservation officers but they don't seem super eager to help. Which is fine, not their job I guess. Should I try to get a hold of the biologists? Forest service? Just wondering who you guys normally contact. Thanks!

I've been on two five day rifle mule deer hunts a buddy has drawn in 2b in the last ten years. There are wells and compressor areas all over the unit, but the animals seem to disregard the noise. On those two hunts we were on the west side near the reservation the first time and well to the west near the lake the second time. We did a ton of glassing every day and only saw one small bunch of cows that had a nice bull with them on that second hunt and that's it.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back