NM elks...

“So many private acres are turned into open elk hunting land” ? Based on the reality of the situation that is a laughable supposition. With the enormous disincentive to open gate type agreements and other public access that private tags represent the amount of private land open to public hunting is a rounding error compared to other western states. NM has 34,500 aces of open gate. And 171,000 acres in unit wide EPLUS. About 200,000 acres. Arizona and Montana that have no transferable private elk tags have 4 million and 6.8 acres respectively. This even when unit wide EPLUS private land shouldn’t even be considered as open gate because to be unit wide or ranch only is up to the landowner. This obviously wildly skews the selection of unit wide to lands that don’t have valuable hunting access to either sell privately or to enter into open gate. The value is artificially created and then privatized by the public unit wide nature of the permit.

So your argument boils down to since you have been able to afford to buy private elk permits its good public policy? How many private elk permits have you bought? How much did you pay for each? What units? How many acres were the properties? How many were unit wide or ranch only? Did you hunt on the property that received the permit authorization? Or did you hunt public land or other private land in the unit?Answer those questions and we can evaluate just how fantastic you have shown EPLUS to be for the public. Especially the New Mexican public.
I’ve really enjoyed the simplicity of this thread and hope some day when I’m at this point in my life I’m living the exact way hank is. Go start a thread or I hope they hit you with a ban I don’t read this thread to learn about how messed up New Mexico is I apply every year I’m well aware of your issues

Believe me. It’s not “just one guy” in New Mexico Just in the last 5 years or so the proportion of New Mexican hunters that have come to understand and despise NM privatization has gone from a minority to a large minority. It’s a phenomenon and attitude that will never go backwards. This is why the privateers are so pissed off and worried. They know the cat is out of the bag forever on privatization in New Mexico. The privateers and policy makers in New Mexico are on their heels now. The current level of privatization in NM came to be over 50 years. I am not so naive to think that it is going to reverse rapidly. But because of the near universal opposition among New Mexican hunters opposed to privatization I have no doubt that change in favor of the New Mexico public is coming. Our big game will be de-privatized. How long do you think the state policy makers like the game commission can sit like dumb mutes when New Mexican after New Mexican stands up and rails about private tags and the outfitter draw set aside? How many newspaper editorials, articles, and letters to the editor lambasting the private system and the policymakers that hold onto it do you think the politicians can withstand before they have to change course. I can’t really say. But change is coming.

If it wasn’t such an important policy issue for New Mexican hunters it would be amusing to read and hear the comments, like yours, that instead of even attempting to defend NM privatization only disparage the messenger. When the response from one side is juvenile and doesn’t speak to the issue one can be pretty sure that side can’t defend its position and policy preferences.
If I were you I would be more worried about organizations like this that have set up shop in your state…..

“Ultimately, hunters aren’t really necessary to manage wildlife, Kevin Bixby told Outdoor Life last year. Bixby is the executive director of Wildlife For All, a New Mexico-based group that’s pushing for state wildlife reform, with roots in animal-rights, rewilding, and deep ecology campaigns.”

And less time seeking to shame NM landowners. There won’t be any tags to fight about when the “Wildlife for all” folks reshape wildlife management in your state to a “more compassionate” model. Based on the direction of the political winds, they probably already have more influence than you realize.

Now back to more Hank elk updates!

Did Rio get the scratch? Nice looking dog.

Hank, you are are lucky to live where you live, I will just say that! One cannot possibly put a value on hearing elk bugles from your homesite.

“So many private acres are turned into open elk hunting land” ? Based on the reality of the situation that is a laughable supposition. With the enormous disincentive to open gate type agreements and other public access that private tags represent the amount of private land open to public hunting is a rounding error compared to other western states. NM has 34,500 aces of open gate. And 171,000 acres in unit wide EPLUS. About 200,000 acres. Arizona and Montana that have no transferable private elk tags have 4 million and 6.8 acres respectively. This even when unit wide EPLUS private land shouldn’t even be considered as open gate because to be unit wide or ranch only is up to the landowner. This obviously wildly skews the selection of unit wide to lands that don’t have valuable hunting access to either sell privately or to enter into open gate. The value is artificially created and then privatized by the public unit wide nature of the permit.

So your argument boils down to since you have been able to afford to buy private elk permits its good public policy? How many private elk permits have you bought? How much did you pay for each? What units? How many acres were the properties? How many were unit wide or ranch only? Did you hunt on the property that received the permit authorization? Or did you hunt public land or other private land in the unit?Answer those questions and we can evaluate just how fantastic you have shown EPLUS to be for the public. Especially the New Mexican

What this boils down to is a hunter who didn’t draw and can’t afford the next option… eplus tag. Just another liberal way of them wanting to end a program that benefits the elk hunter in NM.

So your argument boils down to since you have been able to afford to buy private elk permits its good public policy? How many private elk permits have you bought? How much did you pay for each? What units? How many acres were the properties? How many were unit wide or ranch only? Did you hunt on the property that received the permit authorization? Or did you hunt public land or other private land in the unit?Answer those questions and we can evaluate just how fantastic you have shown EPLUS to be for the public. Especially the New Mexican public.
Start your own thread. Most of us enjoy Hank’s stories and don’t need you ruining them. You may have some valid points, but you’re not winning anyone over by hijacking this thread.

Dang I always figured Rio to be a lab.
Rescue dobie.
He will never want, well maybe for more bacon or treats.
He's barking at me now for more.
Ranch eggs and taters,Tillamook sharp. Breakie.
Home made bacon,the last. The rest of the pork belly is for grind.

?
If I had had kids of my own , would they be spoiled? The 2 I helped with are.

Gear was rain washed & sundried. I forgot,and it rained a bit.
Rain still in the outlook. Maybe snow.
Cool.
Anything to shake them up and out of the nocturnal bit they have been in all year. Driest on record.

Got an e-mail from NMG&F. Yearly notice to re-apply for elk habitat enhancement before Jan. 5th.
Before I apply for e-plus.
Been debating investing in riparian tree cages and the labor. Need to keep showing projects...$
Out of ag exemption. Points. Full taxes.
Water flowing year round. Points.
I score 11. I think.
Have not gone and looked at new online application and regulations. Yet.

I have time.
Maybe 19 years and counting the doc says,if I'm lucky.
6' 1 1/2",I shrunk half inch...174lbs and holding. 10 under my lifetime weight.
Lean.
No JW, but I did run around the Rio Hondo in San Dimas as a kid. Where Hondo's ranch in CA was.
I met Sam once too. Here in NM. He did a double take.

I'm thinking Narrow Leaf Cottonwood,Aspen,Wild Plum and Currants.
I like the colors.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bo.mooneyham
Back