NM Elk Units 5B and 51?

brandonapps

I was looking at apply for the New Mexico elk unit 5B November elk hunt for nonresidents and a second choice of muzzleloader December hunt in unit 51. Has anyone had any experiences with these units? Are they any good for numbers of elk or is there a lot of hunting traffic going on? Any information would be helpful. It looks like both have near 30% success rate and 5B a 40% draw odds and 51 20% draw odds. Anyone have thoughts on these areas?

Did you ever apply/hunt one of these units last year? New to the forum here--I drew the Nov rifle tag for 5b this year and it's been difficult finding information on the unit.

Doubt you will get an answer from him as he hasn't been on here for a while. Some people join and immediately ask for help on a tag they drew or potential units they are trying to draw and then disappear never to be heard from again. Good luck on your hunt! Who needs unit information when you have E-scouting 🙌

Thanks! True, I've done about all the OnX-ing I can without actually putting some boots on the ground. Trying to convince my wife to go on a scouting/anniversary trip next month...we'll see how that works out.

I have hunted Unit 51 two times. It's full of elk I've only seen cows there because I like to draw cow tags. But I know of hearing there are some guys that have killed Bulls, they aren't going to be monsters like the ones around Reserve. My wife drew a tag cow for this November.
Every time I have hunted there in 51 I have ran into elk, I've seen a lot of road hunters so if you go out on foot you shouldn't have a problem finding them.
I wish you the best of luck.

Did you ever apply/hunt one of these units last year? New to the forum here--I drew the Nov rifle tag for 5b this year and it's been difficult finding information on the unit.
have the same problem this year haha. have the november 5b hunt . how did it turn out for you? any luck?

have the same problem this year haha. have the november 5b hunt . how did it turn out for you? any luck?
A good problem to have. Congrats on the tag! Elk numbers were good, but the bulls were hanging out in the thick, nasty stuff up high. If you get weather to push them down it'll be easier for you. Missed the one shot I had at a legal bull but still had a great time. Good luck!

Hey Jhar, how did your November hunt go? I have a tag for late October bull and I'm curious if you got eyes on any, and what kinda size they were. I'm sure it was painfully dry out there tho

Hey Jhar, how did your November hunt go? I have a tag for late October bull and I'm curious if you got eyes on any, and what kinda size they were. I'm sure it was painfully dry out there tho

Yes please dm me

I was looking at apply for the New Mexico elk unit 5B November elk hunt for nonresidents and a second choice of muzzleloader December hunt in unit 51. Has anyone had any experiences with these units? Are they any good for numbers of elk or is there a lot of hunting traffic going on? Any information would be helpful. It looks like both have near 30% success rate and 5B a 40% draw odds and 51 20% draw odds. Anyone have thoughts on these areas?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back