Caribou Gear

NM elk hunt

"Before leaving the woods that evening, I pulled out my knife and punched my tag. I had hit a bull, and was certain he would die. Whether or not I found him, I would punch this tag and not hunt again that season. Even with one day left in the season, I could not rationalize trying for another bull if I failed to recover this one the next day".

In this day of killing at all cost, it is very refreshing to see that in print. Congrats and thank you!!!

Fin I just read the rest of the story. You definitely earned that bull and should be very proud of it. You spent your time and gave every effort you had into the hunt. Congrats on a great trophy.

Way to go 'Fin! I appreciate you telling "the rest of the story" with all of it's ups and downs and anybody who has done much hunting knows that there is usually more to the story then what the triumphant hunter picture shows though most aren't willing to share that part. Thank you for your honesty.

As for what you were feeling that night, not knowing if you would find the bull or not, I went through a similar experience last year on the buck I arrowed. Excitement got the better of me and I didn't quite concentrate on the shot the way I should have. Hit the buck a bit far back and watched it disappear into a 1/2 section of standing corn. Didn't sleep much all night and was sick about the whole deal but luckily the arrow hit the liver and the buck was dead 20 yards inside the corn.

Again, thanks for the honesty and for sharing the pictures. Can't wait for the video.

Big Fin, your honesty is even a bigger reward to me than any other part of your story. Glad you recovered the bull....I got all kind of hunting buddies who would not have punched that tag....you are a mature hunter!
But you did bring back two sleepless night memories of mine before kill and recovery.....not fun either.... a wounded Lion in Zimbabwe...NOT FUN AT ALL !

Job well done Randy, man they really are putting the pressure on the bo hunts splitting it up like they have 10,8,and 6, days man thats tuff. You always seem to make the best out of every trip you take, and bring everybody along with you, That bull might not of been one of the gila monsters, that we know are out there but he is a trophy in anybodys eyes again thanks for the great post, I'll be down there chasing the monster next week, Hey man you still need to check out wapitimeadows when your down in the area again,congradulations man

Randy,
Has to be one of the best stories of the year and way to stick with it and recover an outstanding bull. I feel like you that once you made the shot and know that you hit your elk it’s time to notch the tag…that’s when the real work starts! I know the pressure of having multiple back to back hunts and how that can impact the way we hunt, I was really impressed with your stick with it till the end attitude. It is amazing how much great friends will contribute to a hunt even at the expense of their hunting time. You are really blessed in that department. Congrats on an excellent bull and a memorable hunt.

Bear

Did you hunt somewhere near Snow Lake? What can I expect, I drew for the same unit? I was out there 2-weeks ago and saw about 300 Elk 7 Bulls. I have an Early September Archery Hunt.

Did you hunt somewhere near Snow Lake? What can I expect, I drew for the same unit? I was out there 2-weeks ago and saw about 300 Elk 7 Bulls. I have an Early September Archery Hunt.

Yup, just north of there a ways. Once you have maps, send a PM, and I will give you some ideas to start from.

Thanks I appreciate this very much. I usually hunt rifle and decided to give archery a try. Thanks again.

Randy, Great job,well done! Words can not create the excitement of capturing it on film! Amazingly great ending with all the emotions of a true oyoa hunt!!

Randy, just found your show on Sunday and had to save to DVR forever. One of the best shows I have ever watched, your passion and true love for the adventure not just the kill was so obvious. I am a successful, avid Alabama deer hunter and have wanted to hunt elk for many years but have just figured it was only a dream that would never come true. This has truly inspired me to rethink the idea. I have seen every elk hunting show on the Outdoor Channel and read many articles and books but need some advice on learning the basics of elk hunting. I would love to talk with someone willing to share their experience of how they got started. I just need to know how to get started planning to make this dream come true. What do you recommend. Thanks for a great story.

There are lots of posts on this forum and Randy (Big Fin) is pretty busy. You might want to try sending him a private message as he might respnd more quickly - just a thought. One thing I would suggest is looking at maps - you can even use the Delorn (sp?) atlas for NM to locate state or federal land with access, then compare it to the state's game unit maps. You can ask questions on specific units to narrow it down. Some private ranches are open to the public if the rancher has taken landowner tags that are not ranch specific. In other words, the rancher can get a certain number of landowner tags. He can either take ranch-only tags (which means the hunter who buys one has to stay on his private land) or he can take general tags - but if he takes general tags, he has to open his ranch to the public.

I am not an expert on NM rules, but I think the above is somewhat accurate. Check out the New Mexico Game and Fish website for more details or phone numbers.

Any of the 16's, 15, 13. These are probably best in state for big bulls, 12 is also good, but quite a bit of private ground, there is blm land in this unit and elk are plentiful. With a blm map you could do alright. There are many areas in NM with good elk numbers but you can't beat the Gila.

Unit 16A NM Elk Hunt

Went scouting this weekend and saw 5-6X6 Bulls together inside 40 yards and a couple of nice deer. Sorry they are a little blurry, was trying to zoom in too close.P1100319.JPG

P1100322.JPG

P1100323.JPG

P1100325.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back