Caribou Gear Tarp

NM Coues

BrianID

Here are some pictures from our NM deer hunt this year. I'm a sucker for mass and couldn't pass this buck up.

9-D6929-F3-A776-4811-B22-B-B6-C3-DFBD58-AC.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1b7.jpg

My brother-in-law and I doubled up on our deer.

DAE15-A6-C-00-E4-43-E9-81-F6-B4-BA8-B956-DA2.jpg

Very nice. Any illegal sightings? I would like to do a coues hunt down there... have a brother in law in Las Cruces. Been kinda worried about the illegal situation.

We did work for them but I feel we got lucky with the quality of coues we killed. Even if we draw the same tags next year I doubt we will both come away with the same quality of coues.

redwood,
I've spent a fair amount of time in the units South of I-10 in NM and have never seen illegal aliens trekking through the brush or any suspicious vehicles. However, I regularly see boarder patrol agents in some very remote areas. A large majority of the illegals don't want to be seen and avoid running into other people. Maybe I'll see some "mules" packing drugs next time I go out to call coyotes but I try to avoid areas right next to the boarder that to me seem like "high traffic" areas. In reality driving down the highway to get to the hunting spot is more dangerous than running into illegals. I work at the trauma hospital that receives all the really bad traumas from Southern NM and West Texas and I don't remember seeing a hunter or hiker that had been injured by an illegal alien or drug trafficers. There were a couple hunters that claimed they were shot by illegals but they really shot each other and tried to blame cartel. I have seen boarder patrol agents that have been injured but it is their job to confront people crossing the boarder illegally. If I see a suspicious group of people while in the brush close to the boarder I have no intention of confronting them.

Thanks for the reply.....I'll have to do some more research on this hunt. My brother in law mentioned above is an agent and maybe he makes it sound worse than it is since as you stated it's his job to confront them.

Awesome bucks... congrats!

There have been some very bad things that have happened to boarder patrol agents. As long as you stay out of certain areas I don't think you have much to worry about. Your brother-in-law would know which areas to avoid. If you stay north of I-10 your don't have to worry about it. If you are driving from MO, I think your drive would be the most dangerous part of your trip.

Awesome bucks and congratulations! They are a challenge to hunt, but worth the time and effort. Handsome little suckers

Great Coues. When ever hunting by border carry a hand gun and try to stay with hunting partner but I always drift away but its not safe they carry machine guns and its our country. Its BS.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back