NM 47 Hunt/Scout Report

pojoaque40

Hello All-

Yesterday i got out to NM47 for an opening day hunt/scout trip. The unit seems to be divided. East of the canyon we saw only a few herds and all the animals were very skittish, taking off when they saw us at 500+ yards. Decoys didn't seem to do anything. West of the canyon we saw more but smaller herds. They were much more approachable, with one animal letting us get within 60 yards without a care (he was just over the line into private, of course). Gas is available in Wagon Mound, Springer, and Roy; lodging in Wagon Mound and Springer. Stopped by Mills Canyon campground to find it empty (available). Had full access to private land that wasn't landlocked which is a surprise because i assumed we'd run into a lot of rancher-locked gates.

I'm heading back out on Wednesday for a proper hunt and i'm not quite sure which side of the unit i'll pursue. Easily approachable animals in areas that are all cut up with private, or vast areas with a few skittish animals. One thing i did learn is that the animals you see driving along the highway are not at all the same animals you see 20 miles up some dirt road. For those of you with this hunt feel free to shoot me any questions. I'll post an update if i find any success in the next week.

Cheers.

Thanks for the report. I don’t have that unit but an adjacent unit and your info is helpful. Good luck on your hunt

How long is your season? When we went to NM a few years back, it was just a few days.

Hi all-

Quick update to my last post. The archery season is nine days. Gun season is three. The weather has been typical monsoon, with storms everyday but hit or miss precipitation depending on where you are. Light rain didn't seem to keep the goats off of water holes, but we weren't in a place where there were standing puddles.

I didn't end up successful on the hunt but i got to hang out with my dad for four days, so i'd call it a win. I got to within 78 and 82 yards on two occasions, just outside of my personal limit of 70 yards. My dad (who of course didn't have a tag) got within 30 and 50 yards on those two same occasions. Typical archery; it came down to a coin flip on whether to go left or go right and i chose wrong both times. Anyways, there are some truly trophy animals in the unit and i'm sure all you gun hunters will be happy with your draw.

Other items: Another hunter told us that the campsite i'd earlier said was empty was now full. The Oasis motel in Springer is $70 a night, with a mini-fridge and comfortable beds. Not amazing, but I can tell you it beats sleeping on the ground. Another motel right next door was nicer but we went cheap. I never got the price for the other. Both motels were absolutely dead during week nights but had no vacancy on the weekends. A liquor store is next to both and is cash only. Your best food option is the travel center three miles north of Springer; they've got a Subway and a Russel's restaurant. There may be others but we only ate near closing (9p); i doubt the local restaurants were open that late.

Good luck to all and let me know if you've got any specific questions.

Cheers!

-matthew

Last edited:
As far as food, St. James Hotel in Cimarron has pretty good food. Also, in Cold Beer (between Cimarron and Raton) is a decent little pizza joint. If you happen to go east from Springer there is a place to get good lunch in Gladstone. Roy has a pretty good cafe with great pies and Mosquero has a brewery.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back