Caribou Gear Tarp

NL Pure Vs EL Experiences

NDGuy

Debating between the two, I have been saving gift cards for a few years and sold my other optics so can afford either.

Just curious on other's thoughts if they think the NL Pures are worth the extra grand. Seems most seem to lean that the Pures are better FOV/ERGO/Eye relief but give a slight edge to ELs in low light.

Debating between the two, I have been saving gift cards for a few years and sold my other optics so can afford either.

Just curious on other's thoughts if they think the NL Pures are worth the extra grand. Seems most seem to lean that the Pures are better FOV/ERGO/Eye relief but give a slight edge to ELs in low light.
I think they are worth the extra grand.

I've owned two swaros, a 10x42 and a 10x30.
For my eyes I didn't find them worth the money.
I've now acquired a pair of maven b3 10x30 and they just suit my eyes to where I'm constantly amazed by their performance.
I go with the small size as at the tender age of 73 I'm trying to save weight, do lots of tahr hunting, so every oz counts. For 500 dollars top of the list for me, now to be honest the small size does get a bit of getting used to, but just a wee niggle that I don't mind.

I have both, 8.5x42 ELs and 10x42 Pures.

I didn’t like the Pures when I first got them but they have grown on me. They are now my primary glass. I think it was just being used to 8.5 ELs Vs 10s. Still love my ELs. I’m going to send them to Swaro for a rehab after 16 years.

You won’t go wrong with either glass. I can give you pros and cons of both but they’re both great glass.

The Pures are “bright” glass. Ask me after this years elk hunting for a better review.

I think the NL’s are better in every way from the EL. If you’re a fan of the EL, you’ll most likely enjoy the view through the NL.

With that said, I still prefer the more natural, relaxed, and 3D view that you get from the Leica Noctivid, Zeiss Victory, & SLC binos. I realize I’m likely in the minority on that.

Seems most seem to lean that the Pures are better FOV/ERGO/Eye relief but give a slight edge to ELs in low light.

Swarovski has the ELs listed as having better eye relief than the NLs.

I think the NL’s are better in every way from the EL. If you’re a fan of the EL, you’ll most likely enjoy the view through the NL.

With that said, I still prefer the more natural, relaxed, and 3D view that you get from the Leica Noctivid, Zeiss Victory, & SLC binos. I realize I’m likely in the minority on that.
I haven't had any of those options. Best Binos I have had are the Sig Zulu 9s and Leupold BX4

I haven't had any of those options. Best Binos I have had are the Sig Zulu 9s and Leupold BX4
What’s your spotter situation?

That Sig Zulu9/Maven b2 is a criminally underrated Bino. You’re not gonna miss an animal because of the Zulu 9’s.

What’s your spotter situation?

That Sig Zulu9/Maven b2 is a criminally underrated Bino. You’re not gonna miss an animal because of the Zulu 9’s.
I have attachment issues.. lol

I have a Razor 85mm spotter. No need to upgrade there IMO.

I have attachment issues.. lol

I have a Razor 85mm spotter. No need to upgrade there IMO.
Everyone’s eyes are different but I beg to differ, I’ve found the step up in performance to be greater going from the Razor 85 to an alpha spotter than the performance upgrade going from those Zulu 9’s to an EL. Assuming you’ve got the 9x45 Sigs.

NLs are worth it to me. After getting mine last winter you’ll get them from my cold, dead hands.
Your NLs were pretty damned amazing. Worth every penny I paid to look through them. Renting ELs once more this year and by next season the NL war chest will be full.

Everyone’s eyes are different but I beg to differ, I’ve found the step up in performance to be greater going from the Razor 85 to an alpha spotter than the performance upgrade going from those Zulu 9’s to an EL. Assuming you’ve got the 9x45 Sigs.
But that doesn’t fit my narrative 🤣

Can’t speak to the ELs, but I can’t imagine ever wanting to upgrade from my NLs unless there is some giant leap in technology sometime in the distant future. The picture the NLs provide, even in very low light, is insane. And the ergonomics are perfect. They are worth it.

Can’t speak to the ELs, but I can’t imagine ever wanting to upgrade from my NLs unless there is some giant leap in technology sometime in the distant future. The picture the NLs provide, even in very low light, is insane. And the ergonomics are perfect. They are worth it.
It won't be the distant future...; )

Back