Nikon ends "No Fault Warranty"

MThuntr

got this from another forum:

"From Nikon:

We wanted to make you aware of a change that will take place regarding Nikon Inc.’s Sport Optics product warranty program. After review, we have decided to make some program adjustments that will require changes to in-store, online and other marketing materials.

PROGRAM CHANGE: Nikon Inc.’s product warranty is changing from the current product warranty to the following:
Lifetime limited warranty for the optical system of Binoculars, Fieldscopes and Riflescopes;
Seven-year limited warranty for non-optical system components of Binoculars, Fieldscopes and Riflescopes;
One-year limited warranty for electrical components of Binoculars, Fieldscopes and Riflescopes.

The Five-year limited warranty on all components for Rangefinder and Red Dot/Reflex sight products remains the same.

Please note that going forward we are ending our No-Fault Repair Policy. Therefore, the new warranty program will not apply to any SRO product that is subjected to misuse, alteration or accident or for damage caused from unauthorized replacement parts, will require consumer proof of purchase from an authorized dealer/reseller and will not be transferable from one consumer to another. "

I'm told the new policy mirrors those of European Optics companies.

I sent in a pair of Nikon Monarch binos to get fixed under their no-fault warranty. Cost me $80 + shipping, was told they got out of focus because they were dropped on the ocular. I don't recall dropping them, nor was there any marks to suggest otherwise... That soured me on their garbage and will never by anything Nikon again.

Vortex, Sig, Athlon, Hawke, Bushnell (some but not all) and I'm sure there are others. You're right that abuse is a thing and the warranty is built into the product price for everybody regardless if they use it or not.

Sweet! I have some vortex binos, good to know.

A few kind of scopes out there:

-Garbage scopes with terrible warranties. (they get their money and go, no cost of the product really bakes in long term warranty)
-So-So quality scopes with impeccable warranties. (i.e. Leupold, you're really buying a sterling warranty)
-Really low quality, high feature scopes with good warranties. (i.e. Vortex. Mostly made in China. HUGE amount of defects. Great US customer service taking care of your problems quickly due to low QC Chinese products.)
-Exceptional scopes that have good to great warranties that you'll likely never need. (Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski, Kahles, Zeiss, and to a lesser extent Leica)

Everyone wants a Swarovski warranty and swarovski features, but for a Nikon price. Pay more, get more. If you simply cannot afford new or used swaros, you can always tolerate the lower features and clarity of a leupold and still get a great warranty. Once you jump down to Nikon, you're going to be doing business with an anti-hunting company offering a price too good to be true for a product of low quality. What did you save? Maybe $50-$75?

-Garbage scopes with terrible warranties. (they get their money and go, no cost of the product really bakes in long term warranty)
-So-So quality scopes with impeccable warranties. (i.e. Leupold, you're really buying a sterling warranty)
-Really low quality, high feature scopes with good warranties. (i.e. Vortex. Mostly made in China. HUGE amount of defects. Great US customer service taking care of your problems quickly due to low QC Chinese products.)
-Exceptional scopes that have good to great warranties that you'll likely never need. (Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski, Kahles, Zeiss, and to a lesser extent Leica)

Everyone wants a Swarovski warranty and swarovski features, but for a Nikon price. Pay more, get more. If you simply cannot afford new or used swaros, you can always tolerate the lower features and clarity of a leupold and still get a great warranty. Once you jump down to Nikon, you're going to be doing business with an anti-hunting company offering a price too good to be true for a product of low quality. What did you save? Maybe $50-$75?

Everyone wants a warranty to cover their mistakes. I don't think it should be the optics problem to give you a new pair of binoculars because you didnt properly take care or watch out for your equipment.

Man, from reading your posts I can't help but get the idea that hunt with your pinky up and have some pretty stringent requirements for equipment/hunts to meet your expectations. For some of us, $500 for a scope or pair of binos is a significant cut into our yearly budget, let alone $1,000 or $2,000 for a pair of Swaro's. Plus, I'm a little surprised you've got the gall to trash Leupold optics on this website, lol.

I always find these statements funny. I don't care if you buy the alpha optics or "mid-tier", if you are active and use them regularly you will use the warranty. I know people that have sent back Swaros and Ziess. As far as Nikon is concerned, they arent the easiest to deal with but I did just send back small pair of reverse porro binos that my wife and kids use when we are traveling. The eye cup had broken (not the best design, but they are were only $100 and we use them while traveling). Nikon fixed them and returned them without any problems. It will be interesting to see how their service changes in the future.

I have never been much of a fan of Nikon scopes, but I think they are reasonable and competitive in the market. People that I know that use them seem to like them. No matter what the product line, Guarantee and customer service goes a long way...

I used to really like Nikon, can't say that I own any anymore though. Never had a problem with them, just prefer Leupold now. Sounds like another good reason to stick with Leupold.

Ive got a Nikon camera that gave me electronic problems, but the replacement has been fine. Only have one Nikon scope thats about 12 years old and has worked fine on a basic eastern deer rifle, and is going to Idaho next month. Not at the top of my list of preferred brands, but on the radar.
My maven binos carry a good warranty, hopefully I'll never need to use it. I was under the impression euro glass companies had excellent no fault warranties that didn't require proof of purchase, has this changed?

Buy Asian cut-rate optics, get this result.

Hmmn, lovely critique of a premier manufacture of optics. Nikon is hardly cut-rate and while not all Nikon products are made in Japan any more, Japan produces quality products.

Hmmn, lovely critique of a premier manufacture of optics. Nikon is hardly cut-rate and while not all Nikon products are made in Japan any more, Japan produces quality products.

Compared to what? Mexican Tascos from 1980? Context.

Compared to a zeiss on blowout for $400? A used fixed power S&B for $400? Compared to a Leupold VX-2 for $225? Compared to a clearance Leica for $500? A sale priced swaro for $500?

No, compared to all of those, it is sorely lacking in clarity, reliability, light gathering, coatings, warranty, and resale value.

It’s not snobbery, it’s just not very high quality and their warranty has been going downhill for awhile. You can do better as a frugal shopper with your hard earned dollars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back