Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Nickel brass cracked

T Bone

Last night I was cleaning and prepping some once fired nickel brass for my 300 win.

Out of 40 pieces, 3 had cracks in the neck. What a bunch of poo! I purchased them new, Federal head stamp.

I'll disguard the nickel and stick to brass brass. With brass brass I get at least 6 loads before they fail.

Anyone else see this with nickel?

I haven't had a lick of trouble with Win. nickel brass in my .338 Win. They are one their 5th go around and the primer pockets are a bit looser so they'll be getting replaced shortly. I like 'em cuz they look cooler!! :D

Nickel does that, the brass is soft but the nickel plateing is much harder, and tends to crack much faster. I wouldn't throw them out, I use mine for light/practic loads ( until they crack-then I throw em out )

I've found that nickel plated brass, when neck sized only, is almost indestructable. I have some in 7mm and some more in 6mm Remington that have been around for more years than I care to think about. They are all still going strong. I know the 6mm have been loaded at least 6 times and some of it probably 7 or 8 times. As long as the primer pocket stays tight, then I'll continue to stuff bullets and powder in those rascals....

:cool:

Question:

Can I neck size only with full length dies (RCBS)? If so, how?

I only shoot them in one rifle.

T-Bone, If you back the die out about 3/4 turn, you will neck size the top half or more of the neck and should minimally size the body of the case. If you are sure you want to neck size only, I recommend buying a neck sizing die.

:cool:

I've been very happy with the Lee Collet dies for neck sizing. I do turn the brass 1/4 turn and run it into the die a second time and that does seem to help ensure that the neck is straight.

Back