Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

NICE frame extentions

Because everything is attached to the frame. If you look at one of the above pics you'll see the extension is locked in and can't move either up or down in relation to the frame. It becomes an integral part of it. The bag is also attached with the weight bearing portion being the top frame cross member.

Not trying to be argumentative here Bob, but when you look at the bags with built in load lifters the weight comes from the top of the says, progressively working all the way down to the bottom. If the bag does not ride on top I don't believe you get the full advantage of functioning load lifters. When packing meat the ideal location is always close to the body running up close to the shoulder blades and ideally never higher than the shoulders themselves.

The reason I bought into the Metcalf concept was because the load lifters were integrated, just like the other "big" bags that MR offers. I packed my entire deer with it in September, and the extensions make a real difference. The weight is transferred down, all the way from the top, anchoring into the hip belt the way that it should.

If a new generation frame were made that had integrated load lifters at say a 25 or 26 inch frame(similar to the tactiplane I used this past weekend), where interchangeable bags were hung off the top of frame it would be great.

When you compress the meat between the bag and the frame, everything comes together. The load lifter don't care where the weight is, they are there to make sure the weight is not all trnsfered to your shoulders, but over them. You don't need the stays in the Metcalf. the bag is merely a load sling when you are using it that way. The frame entesions are just to make sure it is high enough for you. Taller ones will work for all heights, just not needed. That is why there are two sizes.

"If a new generation frame were made that had integrated load lifters at say a 25 or 26 inch frame(similar to the tactiplane I used this past weekend), where interchangeable bags were hung off the top of frame it would be great."

This is exactly what is taking place with both the lifter extensions that I and MR created. A MR bag never sees any of the load from the lifters on a Nice frame, extension or factory, as the bags hang from the top cross bar. Same for Kifaru and most other packs. I think Badlands 4500 might be different.
The lifter extensions are fixed to the frame transferring the load to it, and in turn to the belt since thats the point of attachment to the body. An extended Nice frame will transfer the load the same as a Kifaru Bikini frame for example. Actually, the Nice frame will disperse the load thru the frame better because of the cross members.
I

Last edited:
All PMs answered. Thanks to those that volunteered to do a comparative review. It looks like we found our guy.
Has your guy had a chance to compare them yet? Does anybody know if the way the MR Lifter attaches to the frame would interfere with using a load sling?

I got the chance to see the new frame extensions on the latest "updated Metcalf" this weekend and I was quite impressed. They might finally be the improvements that will push me over the edge to take a chance on one. I really like the new version of the Metcalf and IMO the NICE frame was anti-functional prior to the frame extension.

New frame extensions are just slightly different, and you guys can clip those extra buckles off the top, I know what you are talking about with them making noise...you can get some clip on ones to put in their place if you need them in the future. You should never need them now.

Yeah basically you get better compression at the top of the bag, and there is an added external zipper pocket on the outside of the rifle/bow pouch.

Has your guy had a chance to compare them yet? Does anybody know if the way the MR Lifter attaches to the frame would interfere with using a load sling?

The review should be live in a few weeks. I too am curious to see how they compare from an unbiased perspective.

The Mystery Ranch version sure looks a lot stronger. The Oneros looks like a couple of flimsy sticks.

Good review though. I'm sure both will work just fine.

Excellent review. One of these might help with my habit of overloading the crew cab.

Thanks Ron and Oneironaut for doing this comparative review. Sounds like they increased comfort while packing out meat.

Thanks all! After using the frame extenders, I couldn't imagine going back to carrying my MR pack(s) without a frame extender if carrying over 20 lbs. Given that the pack is almost 10 lbs, it isn't hard to get up to 20 lbs. ;)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back