NICE frame extentions

Longbow or Metcalf? Need help deciding, especially now with these load extenders for the longbow. Mainly use for a day pack, we usually set up a spike camp and hike 3-8 miles returning at night. 2-3night bivy at most, as I have a different pack for longer hunts. How is the metcalf for a day pack? Anyone have any pictures with it and just your day pack setup? Thanks!!!

Longbow or Metcalf? Need help deciding, especially now with these load extenders for the longbow. Mainly use for a day pack, we usually set up a spike camp and hike 3-8 miles returning at night. 2-3night bivy at most, as I have a different pack for longer hunts. How is the metcalf for a day pack? Anyone have any pictures with it and just your day pack setup? Thanks!!!

If you watch the AK bear hunt tonight, you will see a Metcalf employed as a day pack. It goes very flat and works great for that purpose, in addition to having room to haul enough gear for a few days in the hills. I will be using it next week for a three day spike camp hunt for elk here in Montana. I will carry my camp, then unload and setup a spike camp, then use the Metcalf as day pack.

I have used my Longbow on all the archery hunts this season, as they were all from base camps that I did not have to hike to. Longbow works great for a day pack, but I would not use it for a multi-day hunt.

Frame extensions are not needed for the Metcalf.

When are where do I watch the AK bear Hunt??? Would love to watch it!

If you watch the AK bear hunt tonight, you will see a Metcalf employed as a day pack. It goes very flat and works great for that purpose, in addition to having room to haul enough gear for a few days in the hills. I will be using it next week for a three day spike camp hunt for elk here in Montana. I will carry my camp, then unload and setup a spike camp, then use the Metcalf as day pack.

I have used my Longbow on all the archery hunts this season, as they were all from base camps that I did not have to hike to. Longbow works great for a day pack, but I would not use it for a multi-day hunt.

Frame extensions are not needed for the Metcalf.

I have a Longbow. It can do long trips, but it certainly isn't ideal for that. I did a seven day trip with it during archery season. I was able to fit my gear in the bag, and then put my food in a stuff sack and strapped it on top of the pack. It worked, but like I said it's not ideal.

Short 2-3 day trips would be easy, but I think the Metcalf is better suited for that kind of stuff.

What is better about the metcalf besides the load lifters ( which you can get now for the longbow). Is the material the same? just the design and capacity difference?

Thank you all for the help.

Material is the same, like you said it's just the design capacity. The Metcalf is a bag with one internal pocket (not counting the lid) accessed through the top or side zip. The Longbow has numerous pockets and can be opened up because of the tri-zip design. I have both and have been using both this year. If I could only buy one it would be the Metcalf because it is more versatile. However, the best thing about the Nice frame is you can have both and swap them out for the style of hunting you are doing.

I've had the chance to play around with the MR frame extender for a couple of weeks now. I'm really liking it so far, and it improves the fit/comfort of my MR pack, imo. (Unfortunately, it also adds to the weight.) I've tried it on my Longbow in the field, and on the crew cab and Metcalf at home. Even though the metcalf has a built in extended frame (w/ stays), the frame extender is higher and provides more angle for the load lifters.

Here are a couple of pictures of my longbow with the frame extender. It was taken on my wife's recent cow elk hunt. I had hers and my tripod, my 15's, and other stuff for the day (jackets, lunch, and water).

Karly%2527s%25202013%2520Elk%2520Hunt%2520010.JPG

Karly%2527s%25202013%2520Elk%2520Hunt%2520007.JPG

Here is a (not so good) picture of my Metcalf with the optional frame extender. (My metcalf is loaded up with what I'll be carrying for an upcoming day hunt for coues deer in southern AZ.

IMG_20131026_124858_640.jpg

Here is a picture of the frame extender on the MR NICE frame.
IMG_20131026_115645_471.jpg

So far, I wish the buckles that face the back of the pack were removable. When they aren't needed they click as the bounce against the frame. I used web keepers to strap them to the frame extender.

Ron

Ron

Is that the 4 or 6 inch extender?

It is a size large (4"), but it measures about 5 3/4" above the top of the NICE frame. It does stick up further than I expected it to. I would think the XL (6") extender would extend WAY above the top of the frame. I'm 5'9" for reference.

In going back and looking at Brandenbowhunter's pictures, I feel like mine comes up a little higher, but can't tell for sure from the pictures.

Ron

If the bag isn't mounted onto the extensions themselves, how does it transfer weight to the hips the way it should?

Because everything is attached to the frame. If you look at one of the above pics you'll see the extension is locked in and can't move either up or down in relation to the frame. It becomes an integral part of it. The bag is also attached with the weight bearing portion being the top frame cross member.

It is a size large (4"), but it measures about 5 3/4" above the top of the NICE frame. It does stick up further than I expected it to. I would think the XL (6") extender would extend WAY above the top of the frame. I'm 5'9" for reference.

In going back and looking at Brandenbowhunter's pictures, I feel like mine comes up a little higher, but can't tell for sure from the pictures.

Ron

Maybe they accidentally sent you an XL? It does look like it sticks up further than the L on the Mystery Ranch website.

Maybe they accidentally sent you an XL? It does look like it sticks up further than the L on the Mystery Ranch website.

I was kind of wondering that, but if they did it is because they mislabeled it as a L. You can see in one of the pictures I posted that it has a 'L' tag on it. Not sure I'd want to go shorter, but I would like the option of shrinking it down if necessary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back