Yeti GOBOX Collection

NFS roads being closed? (Not fire related)

a.huntress.m

Curious if anyone knows anything about NFS roads being closed off, especially in Oregon's coast range? While scouting, I ran across a few roads with 6-8' berms of 6" gravel within (about) 5ish miles of one end or the other for no apparent reason. I have yet to hear back from any forest service reps, having called and emailed, curious to what's happening. This isn't anywhere near areas affected by fires or other damages, the roads are otherwise very well maintained (recently re-gravelled in some cases) and based on management history, the areas aren't due for any work/upkeep in the next few years.

Anyway, just curious if anyone else has any answers or speculation, since nobody official will respond to my inquiry.

FS often closes roads that are in disrepair, old/unused/abandoned logging roads, or just to block them from vehicle use.
Most forests have a Motor Vehicle Use Map that shows open & restricted roads in area.
I personally love them.
Park & walk in access.Excellent darkness walking to hunt spots. Hauled a lot of game back down them too. Bonus is reporting an vehicle/atv in closed area, with 4 flats, to FS and seeing it hauled out the next day...

If they are closed, there should be official NFS closed signs and bear the NFS seal somewhere on the sign. If not, I would contact a ranger and report it. When I lived in Colorado, I caught a guide blocking off NFS road on public property even so only his group could get into the area.

If they are closed, there should be official NFS closed signs and bear the NFS seal somewhere on the sign. If not, I would contact a ranger and report it. When I lived in Colorado, I caught a guide blocking off NFS road on public property even so only his group could get into the area.
and I used to report the folks cutting gates and going around road blocks,the FS signs long gone.

The forest service has, in some districts, largely or completely abandoned road maintenance, selling off their back hoes and graders. My neighbor used to be the supervisor on the road crew in the Tolgate area. If there is a timber sale, road maintenance is done by the loggers and inspected by FS. The unaffected roads fall further into disrepair.
Largely road programs are left up to the district ranger but I would expect to see more roads closed in the future.

The forest service has, in some districts, largely or completely abandoned road maintenance, selling off their back hoes and graders. My neighbor used to be the supervisor on the road crew in the Tolgate area. If there is a timber sale, road maintenance is done by the loggers and inspected by FS. The unaffected roads fall further into disrepair.
Largely road programs are left up to the district ranger but I would expect to see more roads closed in the future.
Without the funds....but hey, they all found $5T for their donors.

Better half spent 35 years with the forest service, primary source of money for roads was from logging, but they are not able to let very many sales anymore.

There is a group of individuals that don't want you driving on their roads. They have slowly closed off roads for years out here. USFS has been pushing this for a number of years. Maintenance is an issue, but those tree huggers don't think you need to drive there.

Accurate, when I was in school at Oregon state I worked summers as a contract employee for Forest Service, even in the mid 70s there were those wanting to close off road access as much as possible.
I love having closed roads but I do like to be able to at least get in on the main lines.

Some roads are built or improved solely for timber removal in certain areas and are decommissioned when timber removal is complete. They will also close some roads in areas where resource damage has occurred.
We don't need more roads and some closures are great, improves the hunting in the areas. Just use them with your feet and have a nice easy walk in.
We've had the county step in and fix some FS roads in Wyoming when they stated they could not and may have to close a very popular road. Worked out well for all involved.

Grew up hunting with a man that was paralized. Crutches and walking in didn't work very well. I don't know the how, but something could be done for the "handicapped".

Grew up hunting with a man that was paralized. Crutches and walking in didn't work very well. I don't know the how, but something could be done for the "handicapped".
You must be living in a cave. There's all kinds of closed roads that "Handicapped" people can get access too. This is nothing new as it's been going on for a long time.

That is not a reality. They can't drive behind locked gates.
Not true. In fact, a friend received a permit to drive and hunt behind a locked USFS gate and I was allowed to drive him and assist if he shot a deer or elk. Unfortunately he did not get a shot, but we did have a fun day out behind the locked gate "road hunting".

I would like to thank you for making me investigate. It's been years since my mentor has past away. Things have changed a little. I'll try not too open my mouth when I don't know what I'm talking about.

Don't handicapped hunters in Wyoming get a couple day head start on the season?
I am not sure about handicapped, but 100% disable vets get 5 days early. I host at least one every year and its a great rule and so much more enjoyable for the hunters. My opinion but probably best thing wyoming offers for veterans!

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back