Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Newfoundland moose outfitters

Addicting

I’ve been doing a lot of research on Newfoundland Moose lately. I think I want it to be our 2020 family trip. We are trying to travel in all 50 states and driving to Newfoundland could help us knock out the NE Sea board.

I see by searching that quite a few of you have hunted there. Trophy size/potential isn’t important. We are a meat hunting family. My biggest question is who would be family friendly?

It would be me, my wife, a 8 and 6 year old.
Non fly in, Good lodge, fishing, Family ran are high on the list.

I went with Portland Creek Outfitters, but they do not meet your list of qualifications. They are fly-in. You will have a blast in Newfoundland, though, whoever you pick. There are a couple of well-known outfitters, that are getting some negative reviews. Make sure that you check them all out closely. We drove also. I put six thousand miles on a new truck, but it was a fantastic trip. The ferry ride over was pretty neat. This was in 2011 and the entire trip cost me right at $6000. I am sure it will be more now, especially if taking the whole family.

Check some reviews on Bowsite. You should be able to find a good option for a drive in meat hunt for sure

I'm going with Northwest Gander Outfitters this September, it's a drive in hunt. All fishing seasons are closed by the week we will be hunting in mid-Sept, something to look into if fishing is a requirement. Another thing worth mentioning is that lots of the outfitters seem to be booked up early! We booked our trip in 2017 and many places were full up until 2020 even back then. I will be sure to report back here in a few months after the trip!

I went with Portland Creek Outfitters, but they do not meet your list of qualifications. They are fly-in. You will have a blast in Newfoundland, though, whoever you pick. There are a couple of well-known outfitters, that are getting some negative reviews. Make sure that you check them all out closely. We drove also. I put six thousand miles on a new truck, but it was a fantastic trip. The ferry ride over was pretty neat. This was in 2011 and the entire trip cost me right at $6000. I am sure it will be more now, especially if taking the whole family.

My dad's been twice with Portland Creek. The first time he had Guy (pronounced Gee) as a guide, Leonard's son. Had a blast both times and talks about those trips often. He went in the early 2000's. First trip he killed a 'bou and a moose and the second time he was skunked. My dad's cousin killed a record book caribou with them on the first trip and his buddy pulled a slam on the second trip. They flew once and drove once. He said to be sure to pay for a bunkhouse on the ferry. I also recall him saying something about buying cartons of cigarettes and cases of beer on the mainland as part of their tip.

We are kicking around a mid 2020's trip with them.

Check some reviews on Bowsite. You should be able to find a good option for a drive in meat hunt for sure

I will do that, I saw the fishing was closed too, I took that as it would be catch and release only, which would be fine.

I have been looking pretty heavily at Rays hunting and fishing.

@Trial153 thanks for the bowsite tip, I didn’t know that resource existed. It has been very helpful.

I had the same experience with Portland Creek Outfitters and have sent a dozen friends their way. All shot a bull of their choice, only one was 40 “ plus but it was a very good time and a fair chase hunt with plenty of walking involved.

I talked to Ray’s tonight. Scott was pleasant to talk with and won’t charge me to bring the kids. He was a little skeptical about their ages but was willing to take on a family challenge. To put him at ease we are looking at 2021 now so they will be 10 and 8.

I had the same experience with Portland Creek Outfitters and have sent a dozen friends their way. All shot a bull of their choice, only one was 40 “ plus but it was a very good time and a fair chase hunt with plenty of walking involved.

Newfoundland produces some pretty good bulls, once in a while, but they are a moose HUNT area, not necessarily a wall hanger area. There are not many other places (probably none) where you have a 90+ percent chance of killing a moose.

40" is do able in many areas. My last two NF bulls been 40 and 42. On our last trip my dads went 38 and mine when 40. the other two bulls in camp were 43 and 32. I think you way better off looking at Newfoundland as an opportunity meat hunt then a trophy hunt in most areas. For me if they have paddles I arrowing them in NF. Cant wait to get back up there this year, focusing on my caribou tag.

I should add, I will be the only one with a tag. My wife will shoot them with a camera. This is more a family adventure than a hunt. With two young kids in tow it’s about them expanding their horizons. We are a meat eating family and I want to ensure they have positive hunting and table experiences to take with them in life. Too many ignorant folks out there that just don’t know because no one ever showed them. Not my kids, they can make up there mind for them selves.

So while it would be nice to shoot a 50” we will be happy with a bull to fill a freezer.

I should add, I will be the only one with a tag. My wife will shoot them with a camera. This is more a family adventure than a hunt. With two young kids in tow it’s about them expanding their horizons. We are a meat eating family and I want to ensure they have positive hunting and table experiences to take with them in life. Too many ignorant folks out there that just don’t know because no one ever showed them. Not my kids, they can make up there mind for them selves.

So while it would be nice to shoot a 50” we will be happy with a bull to fill a freezer.

Those big moose do exist, but smaller is the norm. It is not too difficult to find one in the 35-40-inch range, but that width is not what is important. By northern standards, the antlers are not real big, but you have to look at mass, etc., also. Mine was 39-inches wide, but was real tall and very heavy. The other three guys in camp shot little ones. I saw one the first day that was absolutely huge, but the bull was moving three miles away and in an area that we could not even get to. That is how tough that country is in some spots.

40" is do able in many areas. My last two NF bulls been 40 and 42. On our last trip my dads went 38 and mine when 40. the other two bulls in camp were 43 and 32. I think you way better off looking at Newfoundland as an opportunity meat hunt then a trophy hunt in most areas. For me if they have paddles I arrowing them in NF. Cant wait to get back up there this year, focusing on my caribou tag.
@Trial153 what outfitters have you used in the past? IMO a 40" rack with a huge body is a trophy when you bring that much meat back home. I have heard of some communist hunters that don't eat what they kill...

@Addicting , was there a follow up thread on this hunt? How did it pan out? Enjoy the travel through Maine, etc?

Sounds like a blast with family.

@Trial153 what outfitters have you used in the past? IMO a 40" rack with a huge body is a trophy when you bring that much meat back home. I have heard of some communist hunters that don't eat what they kill...
Not sure what you’re talking about in regards to communists, are they vegans?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back