Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New Zealand Turkey's

Thumper

Aksai, Kazakhstan via Covington Louisiana
I posted this in the end of my Thumper's new Zealand hunt and first bull at the fire side. I figured i just as well put it here to!
Ok troops here are a few more ! For all you Turkey fans :D I can remember hunting all season and only getting in on 1 gobbler. but 3 1 in one day :eek:
turkey1.jpg

Notice I had the Boykin Outfitters hat on backwards :D

turkey2.jpg

Everyone needs a three some
:eek:

turkey6.jpg

I did not post the hens I clipped :rolleyes: Hunting Turkey in New Zealand is nothing like it is in the US! Basically, you do a glass and stalk and ambush them ! They are just as wild, but considered as a pest! no Turkey hunting laws in NZ makes them a year round bird. Hopefully Rob will learn how to yelp them up in the spring! It was cool to watch them struting in the fall!
Thump

Whoa Thumper!!
Three birds in one day! Turkeys are pests? No closed season? You sure know how to hurt a guy! ;) Congratulations!
You know what? Those birds are just as easy to kill here in the states, we are just more sporting about it and choose to "let em walk" alot. Just ask any of the guys. They'll back me up. :D :D :D :D SR

Just ya wait till I finish the video :D
All said and done it was fun, but not like the Turkey huntin I am used to!

Yes Shadow, the are considered as pest! I just hope folks like Rob realise that a true Turkey hunt is as they say "Good as Gold"
I have never sen as many Merriams Jakes and gobblers in a day as I did down under.
I sorta figure if they keep shoot em as
"them" PEST then it will become as much as a blast as it is back home! Just got to teach them how to truely hunt a turkey
Thump

Dang Thump, PESTS!!!!!! I would love to go show them how to hunt trukeys...:D Congrats on your birds. Are the Merriams over there the same as ours?

They are the same bird, but because there are not a lot of Turkey hunters and The ranchers see them as pest, the get little pressure.

They are wild indeed, but are not as spookey as the Turkeys back home.
I am sure when the people see how big of a sport calling up a turkey can be and hunting them becomes an important issue, they will be just as ha\rd to hunt!

I have some film footage of a flock of 15 or more birds, all drakes and hens less than 30 feet from the truck just going on as if nothing was bothering them. I am sure once folks start slinging more led, they will stay away from the roads and get a bit more spookey.

thump, ya ever tried to hunt them like we do back home ?????? man, i bet that would be alot of fun! i bet you could get them toms all pissed off! anyway great birds !

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back