Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New VS Old

Midwestwhitetail

I currently do most of my hunting with my bow which is a Matthew's Reason. I believe it's like an 09 model. The cams are a little jumpy but it shoots pretty good. It's pretty fast but also pretty loud. I keep thinking it's time to upgrade but haven't pulled the trigger. Most of my hunting is white tails around home, turkey and coyotes. The occasional squirrel and rabbits when I find a little extra time.
My questions are will the weight difference in a new bow be enough to notice when I do make it out west for elk or mule deer? Around here I dont have to do alot of hiking with my bow to really know what that is like.
Also are these newer bows that much more quiet?
How big of a factor do you put in the FPS spec vs the real world conditions and arrows with broadheads?
Any info would be awesome. Just dont know if it is time for a change.

I don’t upgrade bows very often, but every time I do I am blown away by the improvements. Technology has made bows quieter, smoother and faster per pound of draw weight. Faster=flatter shooting. Every time I upgrade my accuracy improves immediately. As for the weight of some of the new bows, I went minimalist for a number of years, but my current setup includes an 8” stabilizer. I use a bow hanger on my pack so the added weight is not an issue when hiking the hills. The accuracy at longer distances with the properly outfitted, heavier bow is worth it to me.

Don’t know what your arrow set up is but a good weight set up 550-600 grains with a good cut on contact is good elk medicine. If FPS is a concern just get closer lol.

Don’t know what your arrow set up is but a good weight set up 550-600 grains with a good cut on contact is good elk medicine. If FPS is a concern just get closer lol.
What broadheads do you all prefer for elk mechanical or fixed? Here in whitetail country I have always used mechanical. I have led myself to believe that the mechanical fly better than fixed. I dont personally have any way to prove that.

A lot of the new bows are crazy quiet. Draw cycles and speeds and vibration are all over the place. Test drive till you find one that picks you. I upgraded from an '09 model early this year and have been more than pleased with the purchase. As said above, heavy arrows are the way to go for elk. As far as mechanical vs fixed I'd go with a solid cut on contact fixed.

It really depends. Bow speeds have not really changed much in the past 15 years. Most of the smoother drawing bows today will be typically between 315-330 fps. You can get faster but it typically comes at the expense of stiffness in the draw cycle. Also bow ddesign has made newer bows more quiet but quietness has a lot to do with a bow being tuned correctly as well. I've heard new bows that were crazy loud because the were out of tune.

What I don't like about newer bows is the trend toward high let off bows. Guys like it for holding at draw for a long time but it is also much easier to torque a bow and shake more while aiming.
I also do not personally try to get above a certain arrow weight. I would say it's more important to get an arrow that tunes and shoots very well out of your set up. And then just know the limitations of that setup. If you wanted to use a mechanical on elk I would go with an all steel head that has been well proven to work. But i personally shoot all steel fixed heads. If your bow is properly tuned your fixed heads should fly the same as mechanicals.

If you cant get your fixed to fly like your fieldpoints, you need to make sure your bow is properly tuned, and or try a different fixed head.

The last time I upgraded my bow was 2015, since then advancements in new technology has come out and some of it is astounding. I've talked to a few professionals in the business that have been around for a long time, and the consensus is with proper care a bow should last about 10 years before the limbs start to weaken and need replacement, that's when you should upgrade. In saying that, have anyone noticed the prices of today's bows? I think I'll hold on to mine for quite a while, it has been good to me and I dropping a grand or more every couple of years for a new bow is just ridiculous. As for broad heads , I like and use fixed blade ones, Slick Tricks to be exact, I don't ever need to worry about whether or not they deploy the blades.

You will be blown away by stepping up to a current model bow from your 10 year old model. They are much quieter, lighter, and much more efficient.
The manufacturers haven’t made any giant leaps the last few years and have not made small improvements but in ten years things have improved substantially.

I think the upgrade is going to be sooner rather than later. I stopped last week at a local bow shop and talked with the owner. I shot the new bowtech revolt and revoltX. Man do you wanna talk about smooth and I believe it felt lighter pulling back at 72 pounds maxed out vs the 60 on my matthews. There is definitely a big difference in the weight and the way the cams rollover. Plus when get to full draw it wasnt trying to jump out of your release like the jumpy cams on this bow I have. Worst part is the price. But if it last me as long as this one did I can surely get my money out of it.
What does everyone use for sights? 5 pin, 3 pin, single pin, does anyone use the 3 pin hybrid? I currently have a 5 pin but think I am gonna go to one of the 3 pin hybrids so I can still shoot longer range but not be limited to a single pin and having to move it all the time.

A heavier bow is anchored better especially with a stabilizer or two. There are advantages to light and heavy set ups so I wouldn't automatically assume lightest is best for backpacking. Where weight is distributed on a bow is a very individual preference. At the end of the day your rig is still lighter than a scoped rifle.

I think the upgrade is going to be sooner rather than later. I stopped last week at a local bow shop and talked with the owner. I shot the new bowtech revolt and revoltX. Man do you wanna talk about smooth and I believe it felt lighter pulling back at 72 pounds maxed out vs the 60 on my matthews. There is definitely a big difference in the weight and the way the cams rollover. Plus when get to full draw it wasnt trying to jump out of your release like the jumpy cams on this bow I have. Worst part is the price. But if it last me as long as this one did I can surely get my money out of it.
What does everyone use for sights? 5 pin, 3 pin, single pin, does anyone use the 3 pin hybrid? I currently have a 5 pin but think I am gonna go to one of the 3 pin hybrids so I can still shoot longer range but not be limited to a single pin and having to move it all the time.
If you don’t want to spend the money on a new Revolt then you might be able to find a Realm or a Realm X used for about half the cost. Some guys like the Realm better than the Revolt with the main difference being the Revolt has the Cam lock which is very nice but not needed.

I use a 3 pin MBG Slider sight and would recommend it for anyone.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back