Yeti GOBOX Collection

new to Idaho

lostinidaho

I recently moved to N Idaho and Im finally ready to get back into hunting. I live in the Spirit Lake area. I know that there's alot of ground around here to hunt but just trying to get a generalized area of where I can begin to find my own spot to go.I've talked to a few people and they point me to the CDA's. Big area.Thank you

Thanks for the info. That would be Inland Paper land. I'm also looking to look for some elk that are on public lands around here. Any insight? Please don't take my requests in the wrong way but just trying to get some general areas that you all have found to be productive. You all have been here alot longer than I and my Dad always said listen to the experienced ones. Thank you all again.

For elk I would look up above priest lake in the boulder meadows area, I always did well for mule deer around lions head, whitetail was great around long mountain in the vay area. Now all that being said I moved away in 2005 so things have changed I am sure. a few spots to look at thru the year.

I'm in North Idaho too. There are a few major challenges to elk hunting that you're going to find here:

1. We've had a huge influx of people in the last decade, and a lot of the private / public land interface, that used to be really good winter range, has been converted into high density housing developments. It has put a crimp on our herds. It has also caused access problems too, as many of the new comers are fiercely anti-hunting and even anti-gun (Californians).

2. Since wolves were reintroduced, elk numbers are way, way down. In the St. Joe they are down as much at 60% to 70% in the last decade. In many areas that used to have superb elk hunting, you'll be hard pressed to find a fresh track. Our season has been cut down to just under 2 weeks, and we're probably only a few years away from having to draw for tags. Even with aggressive wolf management, both cow / calf ratios, and calf survival rates are half of what they need to be for sustainable herds.

3. Hunting pressure is almost unbearable. We get a huge influx of hunters from across the border in Washington state. As a result, its very hard to find a place with elk that isn't completely saturated with hunters. For example, I showed up to hunt one of my favorite drainages last year, and there were more than 20 vehicles (with Washington plates) parked at the bottom. I didn't even feel safe going in there. This pressure has also pushed a lot of elk onto private land, in places like unit 5.

4. We've been over-run by ATV's. These machines will go anywhere, even in our steep mountain country, and many people now seem confuse hunting with riding around on an ATV, scaring game away. Finding a place where these people can't show up and ruin your hunt is getting more difficult and frustrating all the time. I don't mind sharing a hunting spot with some one, as long as they hunt and not just ride around on a machine.

If you are serious about killing an elk, you might want to consider checking out Western Montana. Its a close drive, and you'll find much better opportunity there than you will here (for mulies and whitetail too, not just elk). The area around St. Regis and Superior still has good hunting and lots of public land. NR license and tags are fairly cheap. There are some good drawing opportunities in Washington state too. Check out the Turnbull NWR (located near Cheney) drawing. There are trophy class bulls there.

While I'm sure there is some truth to Pinecrickers words I'd stray from the negatives and look for the positive. Granted MT has some great opportunities, so does Idaho. If your looking to stay close to Spirit Lake then it probably is going to be a bit tougher. Otherwise east of Coeur d'Alene or North/northeast of Priest will have good opportunity. It's going to be thick in a lot of spots. This makes hunting tough but lets some of these bulls grow pretty big. Find the thickest and nastiest drainages and I guarantee you get into elk and see very few other hunters. Archery will make it easier to find the elk but you should have success in either season if you spend the time to hunt hard and smart. Good luck man, it's always fun exploring new country and especially beautiful country!

+1 MontanaWild.

People are going to say similar things about every single unit in the state, mark my words. That's sort of what to expect when hunting OTC.

Head further south, there are bigger tracts of wilderness and areas with no roads and no trails. Circle these areas on Google earth. Start scouting them this summer and checking them off the list.

As far as whitetail, they're thick as flies around here. Inland Empire (permit required) or the blocks of state land are good bets early on then pressure gets pretty heavy.

I'm in North Idaho too. There are a few major challenges to elk hunting that you're going to find here:

1. We've had a huge influx of people in the last decade, and a lot of the private / public land interface, that used to be really good winter range, has been converted into high density housing developments. It has put a crimp on our herds. It has also caused access problems too, as many of the new comers are fiercely anti-hunting and even anti-gun (Californians).

I'm a relatively recent transplant from CA. I moved my small business up here and the majority of my customers are from CA. It's true, I never met so many Californians until I moved to north Idaho! 10 out of 10 moved up here for the same reason I did; CA is a communist cesspool. They are overwhelmingly pro-hunting and pro 2nd amendment.

Please explain how Californians have caused "access problems".

As far as wolves and elk numbers...

Idaho Fish & Game 2014 Elk Plan: (real numbers)
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/wildlife/planElk.pdf

"In total, Idaho’s elk population is estimated at approximately 107,000 animals." Idaho Fish & Game 2014 Elk Plan
vs
"Since the return of wolves to Idaho 15 years ago, Idaho’s overall elk population has dropped by 20 percent from 125,000 to about 100,000." Idaho Fish & Game News Volume 22, Number 2 August 2010

Some units are doing better than others of course but it seems the trend is to a net increase in animals. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hunting pressure is indeed heavy in places, been there and seen it.

I agree with the ATV comment as well. I was out scouting pre-season (A-tag archery season was open). I found a well used elk trail and started walking, finding good and fresh sign. I hear something off in the distance, getting louder and louder. It's a bow hunter coming up the elk trail on his quad. He stopped and we stopped and talked. He had seen lots of sign but no animals... All I could think was, well no shit. Later while out rifle hunting with my b-tag I saw/heard lots and lots of quads and trucks.

While I'm sure there is some truth to Pinecrickers words I'd stray from the negatives and look for the positive. Granted MT has some great opportunities, so does Idaho. If your looking to stay close to Spirit Lake then it probably is going to be a bit tougher. Otherwise east of Coeur d'Alene or North/northeast of Priest will have good opportunity. It's going to be thick in a lot of spots. This makes hunting tough but lets some of these bulls grow pretty big. Find the thickest and nastiest drainages and I guarantee you get into elk and see very few other hunters. Archery will make it easier to find the elk but you should have success in either season if you spend the time to hunt hard and smart. Good luck man, it's always fun exploring new country and especially beautiful country!

I think this exactly... Just getting away from the roads and trails and putting in some time still hunting dark timber will increase our odds.

Last edited:

2. Since wolves were reintroduced, elk numbers are way, way down. In the St. Joe they are down as much at 60% to 70% in the last decade. In many areas that used to have superb elk hunting, you'll be hard pressed to find a fresh track. Our season has been cut down to just under 2 weeks, and we're probably only a few years away from having to draw for tags. Even with aggressive wolf management, both cow / calf ratios, and calf survival rates are half of what they need to be for sustainable herds.

3. Hunting pressure is almost unbearable. We get a huge influx of hunters from across the border in Washington state. As a result, its very hard to find a place with elk that isn't completely saturated with hunters. For example, I showed up to hunt one of my favorite drainages last year, and there were more than 20 vehicles (with Washington plates) parked at the bottom. I didn't even feel safe going in there. This pressure has also pushed a lot of elk onto private land, in places like unit 5.

4. We've been over-run by ATV's. These machines will go anywhere, even in our steep mountain country, and many people now seem confuse hunting with riding around on an ATV, scaring game away. Finding a place where these people can't show up and ruin your hunt is getting more difficult and frustrating all the time. I don't mind sharing a hunting spot with some one, as long as they hunt and not just ride around on a machine.

If you are serious about killing an elk, you might want to consider checking out Western Montana. Its a close drive, and you'll find much better opportunity there than you will here (for mulies and whitetail too, not just elk). The area around St. Regis and Superior still has good hunting and lots of public land. NR license and tags are fairly cheap. There are some good drawing opportunities in Washington state too. Check out the Turnbull NWR (located near Cheney) drawing. There are trophy class bulls there.

When I lived up there I had never had a problem finding mule deer, whitetails, elk, and moose on public land. But I was one of those crazy guys from WA, and I also was one of those anti-hunting, anti-gun Californians. So I definitely have no idea what I am talking about.

As far as whitetail, they're thick as flies around here. Inland Empire (permit required) or the blocks of state land are good bets early on then pressure gets pretty heavy.

I'm a relatively recent transplant from CA. I moved my small business up here and the majority of my customers are from CA. It's true, I never met so many Californians until I moved to north Idaho! 10 out of 10 moved up here for the same reason I did; CA is a communist cesspool. They are overwhelmingly pro-hunting and pro 2nd amendment.

Please explain how Californians have caused "access problems".

As far as wolves and elk numbers...

Idaho Fish & Game 2014 Elk Plan: (real numbers)
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/wildlife/planElk.pdf

"In total, Idaho’s elk population is estimated at approximately 107,000 animals." Idaho Fish & Game 2014 Elk Plan
vs
"Since the return of wolves to Idaho 15 years ago, Idaho’s overall elk population has dropped by 20 percent from 125,000 to about 100,000." Idaho Fish & Game News Volume 22, Number 2 August 2010

Some units are doing better than others of course but it seems the trend is to a net increase in animals. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hunting pressure is indeed heavy in places, been there and seen it.

I agree with the ATV comment as well. I was out scouting pre-season (A-tag archery season was open). I found a well used elk trail and started walking, finding good and fresh sign. I hear something off in the distance, getting louder and louder. It's a bow hunter coming up the elk trail on his quad. He stopped and we stopped and talked. He had seen lots of sign but no animals... All I could think was, well no shit. Later while out rifle hunting with my b-tag I saw/heard lots and lots of quads and trucks.

I think this exactly... Just getting away from the roads and trails and putting in some time still hunting dark timber will increase our odds.

Here is the question I always ask Idaho Fish and Game, if elk numbers are so "healthy", why was our season length cut in half and our cow elk season eliminated in 2009? Ask them for 10 year trend data on cow / calf ratios and calf survival rates and see what their answer is.

IDFG depends on license and tag sales revenue, so they are reluctant to say anything negative about elk numbers that might drive lucrative non-residents hunters away. But, if you look at what they've done with seasons, and tag allotments, it tells a completely different story.

Thank ya all for the insight and recommendations. Come as soon as I can I'll get out to start doing some looking around. Redneck I'll be getting ahold of you in the future.

Back