Caribou Gear Tarp

New to Forum--So. Indiana

gingersnap

Hey all.

I am new to the forum and western hunting for the most part. Currently living in southern-most Indiana. I have been to Colorado the last two years chasing (and trying to find) elk in archery season, and I am heading to Montana this year for rifle season elk to change things up. Flat land whitetail hunting is my background, so I have become a Podcast listening fool lately, listening to Randy Newberg, Meateater, and Gritty Bowmen... learning lots! Looking forward to learning on this forum too.

Side note..
I may potentially be moving to Belgrade, MT for work. Anyone on here have any advice about the area? (Cost of living, housing market, demographics, etc) Obviously the hunting, fishing, and outdoor lifestyle opportunities seem endless.

Thanks! And look forward to this forum.

Welcome! I grew up in SW Indiana and currently live in the mess around Indy, but spend quite a bit of time on my place and federal land near Patoka Lake. What part of southern most Indiana do you call home?

I live just north of Evansville, in a little German community called Darmstadt. Spend most of my time hunting some property along the Wabash River. I haven't been up to Patoka for a while, but it's a nice area!

Welcome! I grew up in SW Indiana and currently live in the mess around Indy, but spend quite a bit of time on my place and federal land near Patoka Lake. What part of southern most Indiana do you call home?

I noticed in another post you mentioned you moved from SW Indiana to the West? How'd that go? I have been contemplating it a little while..

Dang, we were almost neighbors growing up! I was born/raised in Haubstadt, so I very well know where Darmstadt is! If you're property is along the Wabash in either Gibson or Posey, you have access to some areas that produce some monster bucks every year.

I moved West for graduate school and then found work out there afterwards. I lived in UT for 9 years. One of the hardest decisions I had to make, ever, was to move back. I'm trying like heck to convince my wife to go back West. If you have even an inkling of an itch to move West, I fully suggest you do it! Great thing about places like Darmstadt is you could move away for 10yrs and when you come back not a whole lot will have changed. But, you'll never know what your missing out West if you don't give it a try.

Welcome to the forum. I live in Martinsville, and when I hunt Hoosier National Forest, it's usually closer to home--in and around the Charles Deam Wilderness. I've canoed portions of the Wabash, but not south of Terre Haute. Don't shy away from heading west. I was fortunate to land an internship with the BLM between undergrad and law school, and have been daydreaming about heading back that way ever since.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back