Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New to Elk Hunting

dmaggio93

Hey everyone,

Im new to elk hunting Born and raised in NY and a big whitetail hunter. i am planning my first elk hunt next year in GMU 47 just outside of Norrie. Im looking to spike camp and pack way inland. any tips or tricks for the area or gear ideas. again ive never done this and its all DIY

Hey everyone,

Im new to elk hunting Born and raised in NY and a big whitetail hunter. i am planning my first elk hunt next year in GMU 47 just outside of Norrie. Im looking to spike camp and pack way inland. any tips or tricks for the area or gear ideas. again ive never done this and its all DIY

I hunted in this area every year from 1992 through 2001 when I was living in Colo. so any intel I might have is dated but I can tell you that if you want high and steep you can find it there. If you plan to pack in on foot you better be in shape and able to handle altitude. Also you better have a well thought out plan for getting any animals you take out of there. I had some friends from NC come out once during archery season and they backpacked in and I joined them over a weekend to scout for rifle season. They were pretty much physically beaten by the 3rd day.

Back