New to Elk Hunting and Arizona.

drewbg33

My wife and I are in the military. We just moved out west to Arizona. We are both brand new to the spot and stalk hunting techniques of the west. we have killed plenty of whitetail deer out east, but we have never had the chance of killing a nice size bull elk. We both entered the drawing this year, and somehow my wife was drawn for a bull elk in her first year. She was drawn for the late November early December time frame. What do I need to know about this area? We plan on making a lot of camping/scouting trips with our dog. The other concern I have about hunting in Arizona is having to leave my dog home for an extended period when the hunt happens. Normally military basic like the Army is right next to public land you are allowed to hunt because there is no lottery system for whitetail deer. That is not the case in Arizona. You have to drive a long time to your designated area to hunt. It's easy to leave the dog home for a day or half a day. Any suggestions will be helpful, especially if you know unit 6A.

6a has a lot of elk but not normally big elk. Call gf and ask them questions. As for the dog if you have a camp trailer they will be fine. I've left my dog in her kennel during a late hunt before while I was out deer hunting. Every dog is different. Also many places to board a dog for a week

Have you used Trail Cameras for whitetails? If so, find some areas that hold elk and learn their habits there. This year will be awesome due to low success rates last fall (lots of hold-over bulls). Good luck to your wife. Unit 6A is perfect for her as the terrain is easy and lots of glassing options. Just make sure to get a spotting scope because that's one difference from whitetail hunting. If you hike up a hill and use that scope you should be able to find elk at dawn and dusk.

Some suggestions. Start with the Arizona Game and Fish website and read the detailed description for unit 6A. They will give you some good details for locations to check out for the late Bull hunt. https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/units/flagstaff/6a/

It can really narrow down where you want to be looking during your scouting and maximize your time.

Be aware that the weather during the late hunt can be extreme. Last year people got snowed in and they where stuck for a couple days. Just be prepared for cold and potentially being snowed in. The main roads are good, but side trails can be incredibly slick when wet.

This year should be exceptional for bull antler growth. Enjoy it. Best of luck

6A is a nice unit, good access if the weather does not turn on the late hunt. Get away from the people and utv traffic. I cut firewood for friends in that unit, the critters are there in big numbers. Quite a few burn areas that you would be wise to check out.

Water
Cover
Parks

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back