Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New to Colorado

AMCoe2017

Moved to the Western Slope of Colorado back in March. Looking to make my way into western big game hunting but would like to learn from a mentor. Any suggestions? Would like to find someone to hunt with this season and learn from on public land hunts. I would even enjoy going on the hunt with a person and I don’t even have to hunt, would just love to learn the ropes. Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

I am a Colorado native but a novice when it comes to elk still. Best way to learn is to fall in with people who are successful and watch what they do. My only hint is to park them wheels and rely more on your ground pounders and you will see way more elk, deer, antelope or whatever you hunt by getting where those road and weekend hunters do not want to go.

Welcome to Hunt talk.

You are in a good place asking here. Also - seek out the local chapters of NGO's like RMEF or BHA.

I’d plan/prepare on going solo, get your hunters Ed figured out, learn about tag options right now your only options are OTC elk or leftover-reissued deer, get your gear/weapon sorted. Scout, even e-scout some areas.

If you do all of that you are way more likely to find someone experienced whose willing to go with you for a weekend.

I met a guy last season who just moved to CO from SC. He had his ducks in a row and was just looking for a partner. He went solo during 2nd season and learned a bunch then during 4th season I didn’t have anything going on so we went out together and he got a shot on an elk. We hit it off and are going on a llama pack trip this year together.

Point being no one wants to be a free guide services, plenty of folks are willing to point a motivated person in the right direction.

Were you able to get out on a hunt?

This was my first year. I hunted archery & went out along with someone on a 1st season rifle hunt. I am looking to get a leftover 4th season rifle tag. Will be going by myself unless I can find someone to go with me.

let me know if you'd be interested.

Were you able to get out on a hunt?

This was my first year. I hunted archery & went out along with someone on a 1st season rifle hunt. I am looking to get a leftover 4th season rifle tag. Will be going by myself unless I can find someone to go with me.

let me know if you'd be interested.
I haven’t been out yet. I have a whitetail tag for southern Wyoming as well as a 4th season bull Elk tag for Colorado GMU 33. I would definitely be interested.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back