New to Cap n Ball - Where to Start

mjk21

I'm new to cap and ball, I received a handed down pistol and am interested in learning the process of making ammo and prepping the pistol for use aside from just learning the history beyond the world history books I had in school decades ago. Can anyone point me to the right books or writers to begin this new journey?
I shoot regularly at my local range and am a bit of nerd when learning - I know Youtube is there but I like books on the shelf, thanks for any authors or directions the community can provide or guide me with.

mjk21.

I have hunted for some time with my smoke pole. I use 95 grains of FFF with my 50 caliber T/C Hawken with a patched Speer round ball for deer. Be sure you get quality lead balls and good patch lube. I also use a peep sight which I find better than buckhorn sights. For elk I would use probably 110 grains of powder, anything over that you just puke it out of the barrel. Be sure the nipple on your barrel stays clean a always pop 3-4 caps before loading. If you’re gonna hunt in bad or snowy weather seal your cap! Take a birthday candle, light it and drip some wax over the cap to seal it. Just some experience I’ve had. Good luck, Keep yer powder dry.

I shoot mine pretty frequently. I like shooting it. Its fun.

When I shoot it I normally make it worth while and fire it 30-50 times. Then it takes about 20 minutes to clean it all up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back