PEAX Equipment

new to archery...Idaho

JWhunter

I am going to be on my first archery elk hunt.... I am looking for advice in archery hunting elk... I am looking at the pioneer zone. Thanks for your help.

For general September hunting advice - be prepared for any weather from scorching to freezing. For me, that includes having a lot of water. Have a plan in place to get meat out fast if the weather is hot.

Last edited:
That zone go's from rolling to steep n deep fast! Advised to get in shape before the hunt and get back into the upper pockets. Always keep the wind in your favor and good luck!

If you have the opportunity to do so, go with someone who has experience with archery and/or elk hunting. I can attest that the learning curve is steep and frustrating for the self taught elk bow hunter.

Yepp I know the area and elk up there but never archery hunted before we shall see

Understand that you are about to ruin rifle hunting for yourself. Shooting an elk is an experience, sticking one at 30 yrds as he screams in your face is mind blowing. As stated, get in shape. Learn how to affectively glass and use good glass. Let your optics do as much walking as possible. Shoot an arrow that weighs over 400gr or at least attempt to get close. Practice longer distances but limit your shots to no more than 40yrds. A lot changes from the drive way to the field. Practice shooting with your gear on while in different positions. A face mask changes everything when shooting. Get the primos bow sling to carry your bow, trust this one if nothing else. Learn how to cow call, I prefer an open reed like the Primos hyper lip single. Get a water bladder, then put an extra bottle in the bottom of your pack. I like the lightweight chees cloth game bags. They're a one time use but weight and size is little. They also allow the meat to "breath" when hot but keeps it pretty clean. That is the tip of the iceberg, we learn as we go. Hit me up with questions.

I will be honest with you,The pioneer zone is tough,and it has the no motorized hunting rule,which means no ATV travel on trails while hunting,and per Forest Service rules means no game retievel off an open designated trail.The bow hunters I work with like the Island Prk/Palisades type of hunting ,rather than the open pioneer zone country,but it is a doable hunt. If you are dead set,send me a PM

I will be going on my second out of state elk hunt this year with my Dad. Will be hunting elk in september in Idaho. Archery OTC. Looking forward to it.

Ok, I'm now an ancient hunter and no longer live in Idaho - but I have bow hunted 50 for 30 plus years and have taken 5 elk with my bow and two with rifle (controlled hunts). My sons have taken an additional 5 elk with both bow and rifle. We drive to the end of the road and back pack in a couple of miles and hunt from the spike camp. It is big country, but I've had more shots there than anywhere else in southern Idaho - or northern Idaho for that matter where I hunted 4 and 9A for five years in the 70's. My advice is to check out Smiley Mountain on both the east and west slopes.

Back