New Sportting Scope

maxx

I am in the market for a new scope. It has to be from Cabelas as I am saving up my points.

I am looking to spend in the 600-800 range. I really don't have a clue what I want. I am thinking a 20-60 but if I get better value for a 15-145 then I am good with that also?

I don't hunt out west as much as I would like but it will be used this year in NE on a lope hunt. Here are in play at that price range any suggestions? FYI I do have a nice pair of Steiner 10 power bino's so I am good there.

Vortex Viper HD 15-45
Nikon Prostaff 5 Fieldscope
Vanguard Endeavor

I have the vortex you mentioned and really like it, especially for the money. Its not comparable to the Swarovski I get to use occasionally, but its not $3k either.
Good value I think.

I have the vortex you mentioned and really like it, especially for the money. Its not comparable to the Swarovski I get to use occasionally, but its not $3k either.
Good value I think.

Do you feel it has enough power at 45?

You should look at the vortex razor 11x33x50, great little spotter! At 699 I also use the vortex high country tripod for about 120 max. It's clear, light, and won't break the bank. You can't go wrong with Vortex's warranty either! Here's a picture thru my i5 phone holding it by hand thru my spotter over a mile awayimage.jpg

Last edited:
Cameralandny.com demos will save you on cost but if you have to use cabelas (I would buy other stuff from them instead) I have the vortex razor 11-33 and 20-60 and they are incredible for money. Maybe the 15-45 viper hd? I got a vortex nomad that I would part with cheap but it's not in same class of glass as either of those.

C

I'm fond of the Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50mm compact spotting scope. Light and compact and I feel provides nice clear images. I'm saving to purchase one right now. Cabela's should have them or can get one.

I bought the Vanguard and of course now it's on camofire for cheaper. :) I paid $450 for it. For $200 more I could not justify the Vortex and I don't believe there will be a difference in the image quality.

I personally would not buy a Swarovski after what a friend of mine found out. He wrote an article comparing scopes and said that Swarovski was not as bright as some at dusk and they pulled $25,000 in ad money over the article. They admitted to him that their products were more geared toward bird watchers than hunters. Enough for me. They can keep their high-dollar crap.

I bought the Vanguard and of course now it's on camofire for cheaper. :) I paid $450 for it. For $200 more I could not justify the Vortex and I don't believe there will be a difference in the image quality.

You won't be disappointed in it. I recently spent a few hours glassing on a scouting trip and was well pleased.

Perhaps its too early Maxx but have you made a purchase yet? I'm in the same boat as you, looking to get a spotting scope (for the first time) and am curious to know what you ended up with and if you like it. Or a better question would be, given your research, any advice?
Thanks.

I personally would not buy a Swarovski after what a friend of mine found out. He wrote an article comparing scopes and said that Swarovski was not as bright as some at dusk and they pulled $25,000 in ad money over the article. They admitted to him that their products were more geared toward bird watchers than hunters. Enough for me. They can keep their high-dollar crap.

Post a link.

+1 for vortex. I use the viper hd next to my buddies zeiss.

The viper is a good value. The year i drew a breaks bull tag i broke the eyepiece connection the last week of archery season. I was scheduled to be back in 8 days for rifle opener. Vortex emailed me a paid shipping label immediately when i called. I had the scope to them repaired and back to me in 6 days. I could not believe it. Warranty is unbeatable imo.

I have had to use the vortex warranty twice... First time was completely my fault I dropped my razor hd 10x42's right on the point of a rock shattering the glass in it.. no questions asked I think it was six or sevens days later I had them back and they looked brand new. The second time was with a viper pst rifle scope the elevation adjustment was very stiff, I had to put a fair amount of force to get it to turn sent it back and now it works like a whistle and they take care of their customers vortex has the best customer service imo.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fish406
Back