Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New Sous Vide

BucksnDucks

My kids bought a Father's Day Sous Vide for me. First run was filet mignon which were pretty tasty but now I'm eyeing the freezer with deer, antelope, duck, and various upland birds. Any hot tips or advice when using with game?

I like to sear before I sous vide, you get a much better product in my opinion.

For the device to break down wild game you really have to do long cooks, I do 36-48 hours all the time.

I just got one as well and the first thing I tried was venison backstrap. Seasoned and sealed then 129°F for three hours with a reverse sear! Turned out great!

I'm with you, I'm searching the freezer for my next option.

website called "serious eats how to sous vide" taught me a lot especially the shrimp cooking! He explains the process really well and simply. The regular prime rib recipe is great doesn't do recipe just cooking method,

I love my sous vide, but sadly it’s taken a backseat to the pellet Grill in the last few weeks. Never thought about searing first and then putting in the sous vide. Might have to give that a whirl. It does do an awesome boiled egg in addition to everything else!

I have not had a failure with my Christmas gift sous vide machine, with the exception of understanding how preplanning is required. Old school taking a flat iron out of the frig to the grill to the cutting board is under thirty minutes. Sous vide takes two hours to get to that rare/medium rare before the finishing sear/crusting. But the results have been worth it.

I like that the entire piece of meat is cooked to the desired temperature, instead of a hot spot on the grill over doing it, or a thicker end of a cut needing a few more degrees of heat to get it to where I like it to be when I serve it to the family.

I think my next step in full implementation will be using a vacuum sealer to improve the marinating process, and increase security over using ziplock baggies to cook the proteins.

I have not had a failure with my Christmas gift sous vide machine, with the exception of understanding how preplanning is required. Old school taking a flat iron out of the frig to the grill to the cutting board is under thirty minutes. Sous vide takes two hours to get to that rare/medium rare before the finishing sear/crusting. But the results have been worth it.

I like that the entire piece of meat is cooked to the desired temperature, instead of a hot spot on the grill over doing it, or a thicker end of a cut needing a few more degrees of heat to get it to where I like it to be when I serve it to the family.

I think my next step in full implementation will be using a vacuum sealer to improve the marinating process, and increase security over using ziplock baggies to cook the proteins.
Make sure to seal as soon as the juices start creeping up. I learned that lesson the hard way!

Make sure to seal as soon as the juices start creeping up. I learned that lesson the hard way!
One thing I’ll do if I’m dealing with something that has a fair amount of water or blood is fold a paper towel or two in the bag. Not fool proof but it helps keep liquid at bay from messing up the seal which still getting a tight vacuum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back