Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New Ruger Ar556 MPR

feedback

I’ve just got a new Ruger AR556 MPR and I’m wondering what do you guys do to the outside of the firearm. Like the front Handguard, trigger area, pistol grip, etc., etc., where your hands are going to touch and leave an impression on a new weapon. Thank you for your time and God Bless.

What kind of impression are you talking about leaving? If you are worried about rust, almost every part you touch is aluminum (receiver/handguard) or some type of polymer (grip), so no real worries.

I’m curious about what you mean, as well. I own a couple ARs, and ascribe to the KISS philosophy. Simple sights or optic, a grip that’s a bit more comfortable than mil-spec if you wish (MOE or similar), and maybe a free floated forearm (I like the m-lok because it’s easier on the hands than all of the tacticool rails), and maybe a decent sling attachment and sling, but that’s it for me. YMMV

What kind of impression are you talking about leaving? If you are worried about rust, almost every part you touch is aluminum (receiver/handguard) or some type of polymer (grip), so no real worries.
Not worried about rust, just after receiving it right out of the box brand new. I’m guessing that the factory coating of oil or what not covering the whole weapon. What do you recommend for removing all of that? And thanks for your time.

That’s correct sir. It just struck me as funny that someone named feedback was seeking feedback from others. Ask all the questions you want.
This is the first time I’ve ever owned a brand new firearm and want to do everything right for it. So I can get many years of enjoyment out of it. Thanks again ( by the way I do get razed about that all the time. Having a nickname like that lol)

Think about the FUNCTION of the weapon for you. What do you want to do with it? The range of goodies for MSRs is almost infinite and can be overwhelming. The only person's opinion that matters is yours.

BTW, both Ruger and S&W MSRs come into the shop DRIPPING in packing oil.

Thanks for the info, but what do you guys use to wipe down the exterior of the weapon? ( to get the factory oil off) Also name of what you use. Thanks again
I use a lint free cloth (like an old t shirt) and a light coat Ballistol. Any brand of CLP will be fine, they are all slightly different. I like the flexibility of Ballistol and the fact that will emulsify with water.

I use a lint free cloth (like an old t shirt) and a light coat Ballistol. Any brand of CLP will be fine, they are all slightly different. I like the flexibility of Ballistol and the fact that will emulsify with water.

Make sure you whisper sweet sweet nothings to the rifle as you wipe it down. The creapier the better. Review the first 1/2 of Full Metal Jacket if needing more information.

Back