Caribou Gear Tarp

New Possible #2 for Calif

MarvB

Guy got him a smoker last week!

Ram1.jpg

Cali like NVB said, it was evidently in the Whites.

Here is the snippet I got with it from a friend:

Well my hunt is over. Too busy at work to write a long story now but I thought I'd share a picture and a few details.

We spotted this ram 5 days before season opened and watched him long enough to pattern him. The day before season we headed up the hill to 13,000' and set up a spike camp half a mile from him on a shale saddle. Next morning he was right where he was supposed to be and I was able to sneak to 343 yards. He was quartering to me and took the shot. Either I moved a little or the wind blew the bullet a little as I hit about 6" left. With his angle, this put the bullet in his rib cage. But the next shot smashed the spine and he was done. As we walked up to him, I couldn't believe his mass. After green scoring him, it looks like he will wind up as the #2 desert ram ever taken in CA.

We measured it a couple different times and scores ranged between 179 and 181. The state record is 182 and the current #2 is about 176. I used a cloth tape and the rules call for a metal one and there are various other rules of measuring that I have not fully read. Bases were +-16" and lengths were 36ish and 37ish. So, with good or bad luck there is a chance that it could go to #1 or #3 but I doubt it. I'll know for sure in 60 days.

He was hunting with Terry Anderson who is Calif's sheep freakin expert.
That guy has taken more folks to book rams than everyone else out here COMBINED! hump

Good - if I ever get drawn, I know who to call. Like a lot of other folks - I have max points!

The picture looked exactly like the shale slopes on the sides of 10,000-foot ridge and San Gorgonio above the treeline.

Rick- The "peak" of White Mt is actually 14,200' and changes but you're right- that whole area is a freakin shale patch....here's a few pics of White Mt. above Bishop.

Earlier in the year
White_Mountain_CA.jpg

After snow melt
cawhitemtfromvalley02.jpg

cawhitemtdespickhiking02.jpg

cawhitemtbighorn02.jpg

cawhitemtsummitwoodsign02.jpg

Back