New points theory

Sounds like this is very similar to resident Utah draw. One of the issues If you don’t make it straight across the board for residents and NR is that people will build points then either move there or move out of the state to capitalize on there points they have banked up. People do that now in Utah apply as a nr then move there and have stacked points and draw a sheep tag one year then a moose then etc.
That's why all resident tags should be random, every species

In theory you could keep a modified points system. You only get one set of points, let’s say $150 per point, you can only put in for one species per year. So in theory you could thin out the points I would think pretty fast. If anyone wants to add onto this theory. We all should try and make up the best points system between all of us we could probably come up with some thing a game and fish department could use.
Matt
Now that I think about it a bit more, I think my idea is too complicated to really be implemented. I kind of like the ‘one points’ approach you’ve outlined.

Now that I think about it a bit more, I think my idea is too complicated to really be implemented. I kind of like the ‘one points’ approach you’ve outlined.
Yeah I was really trying to figure out how in the system I proposed that could be possible. I think the only fair way to do it would be to announce that you have 1 or 2 more years to use your points under the current system and than when the new system rolls out, all your big 4 points roll to one and the little 3 roll to 1.

Folks here's the solution.

All systems, 3pp then bonus points. So essentially on your 4th year your in the drawing. Convert everyones points to that system. Bonus points aren't squared.

and now this is the where we really fix the whole mess.

MSG + highly limited deer and elk tags (trophy tags) can only be applied for, IN PERSON.

All systems, 3pp then bonus points. So essentially on your 4th year your in the drawing. Convert everyones points to that system. Bonus points aren't squared.

MSG + highly limited deer and elk tags (trophy tags) can only be applied for, IN PERSON.

Not sold on that idea…. But the apply in person I like kinda. Might be on to something there, might have to be modified slightly though!
Matt

So far, this is for non-residents only theory:

-you have 5 years to use your current points
-years 1-3 current points get 50% of tags
-years 4-5 25% of tags
-no accumulation of points if going with current points
-choice to average all your points into one point pool
Example 5elk, 5deer, 5lope=15divideby3=5 points
-you can use those points on any species you want
-only can choose 1 species to apply for with points
-any other apps you just have 1 random name in the hat
-each point costs $150 adult and $25 per youth 16 or younger
-can start acquiring points at age 10
- you can use your points on these species, elk, mule deer, white tail deer, pronghorn antelope, moose, California bighorn sheep, Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep, Mountain Goat, Mountain lion, blackbear, turkey.
-10% of all tags from the overall tag allotment for each hunt go to non-residents. If there are less than 10 tags, a tag will be issued for each 9 tags that have already been issued to residents. Example: 2020 - 5 tags total, they all go to residents. 2021 - 4 tags total, they all go to residents. 2022 - 4 tags total, non-residents have now earned 1 (9 tags have been issued to residents in the past two years) and that leaves 3 left to still go to residents
-Of the tags available for non-residents, 50% go to a random draw pool and 50% go to a bonus point pool. If a hunt has an odd number of tags, the extra tag alternates where it goes. One year it would go to the bonus point pool and the next time its an odd amount for that unit, it would go to the random point pool.
-To gain bonus points, you need to purchase them every year. Miss a year you lose all your points!
-Application due in March
-results are mid April
-you cannot get a point if you draw or buy any tag for that year.

That’s what I got so far….
Matt

Last edited:
So far, this is for non-residents only theory:

-you have 5 years to use your current points
-years 1-3 current points get 50% of tags
-years 4-5 25% of tags
-no accumulation of points if going with current points
-choice to average all your points into one point pool
Example 5elk, 5deer, 5lope=15divideby3=5 points
-you can use those points on any species you want
-only can choose 1 species to apply for with points
-any other apps you just have 1 random name in the hat
-each point costs $150 adult and $25 per youth 16 or younger
-can start acquiring points at age 10
- you can use your points on these species, elk, mule deer, white tail deer, pronghorn antelope, moose, California bighorn sheep, Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep, Mountain Goat, Mountain lion, blackbear, turkey.
-10% of all tags from the overall tag allotment for each hunt go to non-residents. If there are less than 10 tags, a tag will be issued for each 9 tags that have already been issued to residents. Example: 2020 - 5 tags total, they all go to residents. 2021 - 4 tags total, they all go to residents. 2022 - 4 tags total, non-residents have now earned 1 (9 tags have been issued to residents in the past two years) and that leaves 3 left to still go to residents
-Of the tags available for non-residents, 50% go to a random draw pool and 50% go to a bonus point pool. If a hunt has an odd number of tags, the extra tag alternates where it goes. One year it would go to the bonus point pool and the next time its an odd amount for that unit, it would go to the random point pool.
-To gain bonus points, you need to purchase them every year. Miss a year you lose all your points!
-Application due in March
-results are mid April

That’s what I got so far….
Matt
And must apply in person. Naked.
I really want a sheep tag!

Go back to having to fully front the cost of the license, I don't care if it costs the state money - put that increase in the cost of the tag. I know that would reduce the number of states I apply in.

I also love the idea to eliminate the ability to get a point and also get a tag in the same year. It's been said a lot, but I will keep repeating it until it happens. Only eligible to purchase a point if you applied for a tag (fronted the money), and didn't receive a tag in the primary draw, secondary draw, leftover or OTC.

So basically like Colorado for sheep, moose and mtn goat

So basically like Colorado for sheep, moose and mtn goat
Yep pretty similar, you could make it 5 or something else. Also I think the CO bonus points are maybe a bit too good. 🤷‍♂️

I think western states form a hunters coalition (never happen but since were playing make believe). This coalition mt,id,wy,co,ut,nv,nm,az (huntable populations of elk, minus stupidity of coastline states) CO gets rid of all NR otc except archery but installs caps for NRs, WY 7250 splits 85/15 coalition/NRs. These states agree to 85/15 tag split, 10% go to residents of those coalition states at resident costs. 5% go to NRs at fee of 50x resident cost, this allows for easy fee adjustments by independent states to meet funding levels. Tag cost at current rate X50 for elk wy:$2850, id:$1837, obviously would go up. All home states are pure random for all species for their residents. You can apply for all species but only once per season in coalition states, if unsucessful you gain a bonus point. These points transfer to any state in coalition but are species specific. Residents apply in home states as system currently allows. If coalition residents dont apply for tag outside their home state they dont gain a bonus point. NRs can manage thier applications across the 8 states on one site (not idaho's dont worry), no license required for applications but front tag fee+ application fee and if drawn NO REFUND and points are gone. All antlerless tags are at resident fees!
I will name this coalition: States Hunters Iniative Team

Hows that for far reached!

Last edited:
I think western states form a hunters coalition (never happen but since were playing make believe). This coalition mt,id,wy,co,ut,nv,nm,az (huntable populations of elk, minus stupidity of coastline states) CO gets rid of all NR otc except archery but installs caps for NRs, WY 7250 splits 85/15 coalition/NRs. These states agree to 85/15 tag split, 10% go to residents of those coalition states at resident costs. 5% go to NRs at fee of 50x resident cost, this allows for easy fee adjustments by independent states to meet funding levels. Tag cost at current rate X50 for elk wy:$2850, id:$1837, obviously would go up. All home states are pure random for all species for their residents. You can apply for all species but only once per season in coalition states, if unsucessful you gain a bonus point. These points transfer to any state in coalition but are species specific. Residents apply in home states as system currently allows. If coalition residents dont apply for tag outside their home state they dont gain a bonus point. NRs can manage thier applications across the 8 states on one site (not idaho's dont worry), no license required for applications but front tag fee+ application fee and if drawn NO REFUND and points are gone. All antlerless tags are at resident fees!
I will name this coalition: States Hunters Iniative Team

Hows that for far reached!

We’re talking realistic not fantasy 🤣 all those states cooperating that’s wishful thinking lol 😂
Matt

I would like to see at least in Idaho 1 moose, 2 elk, 2 deer, 1 antelope, 1 bear tag be auctioned off to the highest bidder, that bidder loses all points though if a non resident. These tags would come out of the super tag pool. These funds would be used only for purchasing private property and open to all for non motorized outdoor activities. A state wilderness 🤪
Matt

I'm going to bring this back to life because a buddy of mine was talking to me about the draws I do and he had a great idea.

What if in this fantasy state of big game draws you have to pick on your application whether or not you want to "enter the draw" or "collect a pref/bonus point"? You can't do both. If you don't draw, you don't get a point but you don't lose whatever points you did have going into the draw.

I'm going to bring this back to life because a buddy of mine was talking to me about the draws I do and he had a great idea.

What if in this fantasy state of big game draws you have to pick on your application whether or not you want to "enter the draw" or "collect a pref/bonus point"? You can't do both. If you don't draw, you don't get a point but you don't lose whatever points you did have going into the draw.
It would be interesting to see how that plays out. I would imagine a bunch of guys wouldn't apply until they were sure they would get a tag. That would push point creep to the maximum. But it might create a scenario where too few people apply in a given year and the lucky sonofagun who threw his hat in the ring with minimal points actually draws a tag. But that would only happen a few times until people caught on. Then chaos would begin lol.

In person application resident and non resident?

Back