New Muzzleloader help

mhungerford

Looking for your guys input on a new muzzleloader. As much as I would love to have a Ultimate Muzzleloader I just cant bring myself to spend 2000 on one. I have been looking into a CVA or LHR anyone insight would be much appreciated. What bullets and powder charges are you shooting out of them? What ranges are you shooting at?

thanks...

CVA Accura

I have a cva accurra and am very pleased with it. Be sure to get stainless. I shoot 90 grains Blackhorn 209 and 270 grn platinum powerbelts and had great results.

I shoot a Thompson Center Omega with Nikon Omega scope and 100 grains triple seven (2 pellets) and Hornady XTP bullet. Great at 100 yards, could shoot 200 if I practiced more, but there is considerable drop. Some guys shoot lighter bullets for longer distance, but I just don't have the need to shoot over 100 yds. I think the TC Omega is a good mid-priced gun. I got laminated stock and SS barrel. Its kind of heavy but the recoil isn't too bad. I also just bought a TC Impact and have to say that for a low priced gun, it shoots AMAZINGLY WELL! same load and iron sights out to 100 yards easily. It was dead on right out of the box. I don't know how that happened but I haven't had to touch the sights. just lucky I guess. It's lightweight and accurate. If I was hunting a state where scopes were not legal I would be very happy with the TC Impact.

I have 2 muzzleloaders. One is a CVA Optima Magnum. I use that with just the fiberoptic sights for hunting in Colorado. I use 120 grains of Hogden's Triple 7 powder (pellets aren't legal in CO) and a 295 grain Powerbelt (Copper hollowpoint). Out to about 150 yards I'm deadly with it. I have a TC Omega with a TC scope that I use for out of state and other hunting. I use 130 grains of Triple 7 powder and a 295 grain Powerbelt copper hollowpoint and it's deadly out to 250 yards. You don't need to spend alot of money on the gun. Get a good one that you can easily afford and spend the money on powder and different bullets and find out what shoots best out of your particular gun. Heck, my buddy has a cheapo TC that he got off of Sportsman's Guide for $179 with a scope, but he has shot it enough to get good with it and shoots sub 2 inch groups at 100 yards with it.

Last edited:
I'm happy with my CVA Accura, I have the "Mountain Rifle" model.
Shooting 110 gr BH 209 with Barns 250 T-EZs out to 200 yards.

CVA accura V2 is so accurate I can shoot 3 shot clovers @100 yards. If you can, just jump right into the Blackhorn 209 system and be done with it.

Omega 50 cal stainless thumhole with 115 grain blackhorn 209 and 250 grains spitfire tmz barnes shoots great!

I have shot a .50 cal. T/C Omega with a 3-9x40 Leupold Vari X II for ten years. I am fortunate that it like lots of different loads. The barrel is floated and shimmed.

Here's one of them...110 gr Triple 7 2F, 250 gr Dead Center, CCI 400 small rifle primers in vari-flame adapters. This load combination shoots sub one inch groups at 100 yds, consistently. The terminal performance is excellent. It's also one of the flattest shooting bullets on the market.

Hope this helps.

Paul

it kinda depends on the particular state rules,,,my lyman great plains hunter is legal in all states as compared to some of the inline or break-open action styles.

I have 2 muzzleloaders. One is a CVA Optima Magnum. I use that with just the fiberoptic sights for hunting in Colorado. I use 120 grains of Hogden's Triple 7 powder (pellets aren't legal in CO) and a 295 grain Powerbelt (Copper hollowpoint). Out to about 150 yards I'm deadly with it. I have a TC Omega with a TC scope that I use for out of state and other hunting. I use 130 grains of Triple 7 powder and a 295 grain Powerbelt copper hollowpoint and it's deadly out to 250 yards. You don't need to spend alot of money on the gun. Get a good one that you can easily afford and spend the money on powder and different bullets and find out what shoots best out of your particular gun. Heck, my buddy has a cheapo TC that he got off of Sportsman's Guide for $179 with a scope, but he has shot it enough to get good with it and shoots sub 2 inch groups at 100 yards with it.

+1 - Love my CVA Optima with 1X scope and Powerbelts. Accurate, reliable and did not break the bank.

T/C Impact. I got mine on sale for $200 the year before. Last year I shot a buck at 117 yards open sights (fiber optic sights that come with it are awesome). No scopes allowed in our ML season. Plus, it seems like cheating to me... The Impact is very well built.

I use 2 777 pellets and a 250gr. T/C Shockwave bullet in the yellow Easy Glide sabots. Easily cluster into a small fist pattern with open sights at 100 yards.

Emrah

I shoot in .54 cal////425 gr hornady hphb conical with 80 or 90 grains 777 2f powder and cci#11 magnum caps...250 yrds is achievable but i gotta put 30" of lift on it at 250 when zeroed at 100 yrds,,,has worked well for me .this is the hunter model w 1 in 32 twist barrel.knocks em down hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back