Caribou Gear

New MR Metcalf Pack video

I Kind of hope the show booth/pack sale is like a hair salon. I lean back, get my scalp massaged and told why I need this pack, then leave with a receipt in my pocket!!!

See ya at WSF

Would you like to make an appointment? Bring your own scissors. I can also provide an itemized receipt upon your departure from the booth.

See you there!

Metcalf bag, and NICE Lid w/o frame run $289... and I believe for those of you that have Daypack Lids already, we'll be selling the bag on it's own for $199. I used the bag on it's own for most trips, but the 5 day and 7 day backcountry hunts I did for Elk/Mule Deer this fall, I carried the Daypack Lid.

I think you guys are really missing an ever growing group of hunters that are going in super light and returning with heavy packs. Its not about 10 days. It's about bringing out a deboned animal, cape, antlers and gear long distances

P.S Did you ever get that head cleaned up, invite a man over to fondle your horns and it is covered in maggots, yeash, nearly a hanging offense.

For anyone coming to the shows, please come by the MR booth and I'll walk you through exactly how I personally use the pack and see if you can use it to fit to your personal hunting style.

Mark,

Can you post a video of how you use this new pack for those of us not able to attend the shows?

Thanks!

Don't be a pussy, I've seen the valley of which you speak. My 65 year old father could walk it:D

Your dad is a bad ass.

Sounds ghetto.

Every day I'm hustlin'

P.S Did you ever get that head cleaned up, invite a man over to fondle your horns and it is covered in maggots, yeash, nearly a hanging offense.

Yes sir. I'm sorry but I'm a workin' man. Got home from killing a sheep and went back to the daily grind and forgot about it. My apologies....

I'll post some up soon. I need to have Sheep Killer Miller come over and take a couple pics of it.....

Yo mark, what's the weight specs on the new bag? Sans lid, what kind of weight savings are we talking about over a CC?

Sounds like a great bag Mark. I'll be adding one to my collection before this fall.

My only contention with MR is how heavy they are. Nothing more, nothing less. Beating a dead horse and the lack of innovation seems to be the SOP for MR recently.

I don't understand the reluctance to build a light pack, or even attempt? Every time its brought up, the answer is some smart ass condescending remark. For the last few years people have been asking for it, yet MR knows what its customers need, not what they want.

I honestly don't think MR is capable of the task, or you'd have one in your line up already to compete with others in your class. Yes, there are others in your class... If people want a bomb proof pack they can chose the NICE, if they want a light weight pack, they can chose another company? Genius move for the MR research and marketing department! Seems like you could build both and sell the chit out of them, but who am I to suggest something like that. After all the CC doesn't need load lifters.

I want a lightweight pack, and Kifaru got $700 of my money last week. According to MR, it will be junk... according to the people that have been using one... they're pretty bad ass and 5lbs lighter than the 6500. I'm willing to take "chance".

I'm currently taking the insulation off about 500 lbs of BIG 500MCM copper I got off the jobsite last week. Should bring a couple thousand bucks to buy new gear with :D

Want me to send you some real BIG cable? :D

750 3/C
7503-C_zps26f677fd.jpg

or some 1000 DLO
1000dlo_zpsd47595e2.jpg

You don't have to worry about insulation on the DLO ;)

I guess since this is a pack thread I can make one small comment. I bought a NICE frame and CC for an elk hunt this past fall because all the cool kids had one. It was heavy and uncomfortable for a day pack and I didn't care much for the layout as a 3 day bag either. It was slightly more comfortable than my Bluewidow pack which was unbareable with more than 40 pounds. It's a shame, I really wanted to like the pack. The good news is they are easy to sell for what you pay for them.

Thanks for the information Mark. I'd still like to see a few more pictures of this thing inside and out, but I'll be getting one when they come out. Add me to the list.

We'll post up a video and some photos while we're in Reno at Wild Sheep.

I thought I read along the lines somewhere that MR/Dana hear the requests for lighter packs but the hunting lines are a just a fraction of their business and military is their bread and butter.

Want me to send you some real BIG cable? :D

750 3/C
7503-C_zps26f677fd.jpg

or some 1000 DLO
1000dlo_zpsd47595e2.jpg

You don't have to worry about insulation on the DLO ;)

I guess since this is a pack thread I can make one small comment. I bought a NICE frame and CC for an elk hunt this past fall because all the cool kids had one. It was heavy and uncomfortable for a day pack and I didn't care much for the layout as a 3 day bag either. It was slightly more comfortable than my Bluewidow pack which was unbareable with more than 40 pounds. It's a shame, I really wanted to like the pack. The good news is they are easy to sell for what you pay for them.

Hahaha that stuff is a mess to strip! Whats copper prices in your area? About time we got this thread on track ;)

Hahaha that stuff is a mess to strip! Whats copper prices in your area? About time we got this thread on track ;)

CU hovers around 3.25 a pound when we figure cable and lug prices. I'm not sure what the scrap market is getting.

I know GuNR's getting excited for the announcement of the new Metcalf canine version.

194_zps4433aac4.jpg

I'm with Bambi on this one, surely MR is capable of making a super light pack and surely they've been hearing tons of requests, its silly they haven't made one yet. Although I'm sure they will still come out with one eventually.

I also think its funny that they denied the need for a high frame for load lifting on the NICE, but now they added an extension to the Metcalf for that very purpose. If the NICE frame would have had that included right away, I'd probably have one, but in the mean time I've tried on many packs, some much lighter, some much less expensive that all felt more comfortable with 80lbs in it than the NICE CC did. Could just be my build though, everyones different...

Although I disagree with the idea of having an exclusive retailer now, I think Kurt with Stone Glacier has something good going.

And for those of you going to check out MR at the Sheep Show, I'd also recommend checking out another pack you've never heard of that will have a booth there, Oregon Pack Works.

Last edited:
Back